Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

12 hours ago, markhollin said:

The very stout Old Hickory Bridge over the Cumberland River on the north side of town. Originally built in 1928, and updated in 1967.

Old Hickory Bridge.jpg

I used to cross this bridge on a daily basis when I lived in Old Hickory Village. Renovations on that thing had it reduced to one lane both ways and seemed like it was never going to end. I've been in NC now since October, did they ever wrap it up?

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

If there was ever a wall positively begging for a massive dramatic mural, it would be you, Mr. TPAC.    

TPAC

The need the 3d street artist to paint that wall

https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+street+art&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiru7uYisHMAhUBxGMKHanJDpEQ_AUIBygB&biw=412&bih=651

Edited by chris holman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

Are any of these walls going to feature music?

I think a Johnny Cash painting would look cool 

It just so happens that...

54 minutes ago, chris holman said:

I'm sure the boys in TM would have something interesting to put up there...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chris holman said:

Some of those are amazing.  I wish we had some kind of artist collective that would make things like that randomly appear around town.

• Like 1

I am loving all of these amazing new murals around town, but the one thing that brings me down a little bit about them is that in the majority of cases, they are facing an empty lot or parking lot, which there is nothing wrong with, obviously it has to be visible, but if and when something is developed on said lot, it'll cover up the stunning art.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Metro Nashville Archives on Facebook--lots of old pics. 

Not an online source for photos, but an online source to purchase books (yes, they DO still print them).

http://www.amazon.com/Nashville-Then-Now/dp/1592235034

Also:

Metro Gov Archives website:  

http://www.nashvillearchives.org/buildings-photos.html

TN State Archives (TEVA).   Searchable, great resource for historical photos, maps, etc.:

http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p15138coll25/searchterm/nashville/order/nosort

• Like 1

^^ and ^ Thanks! Much appreciated.

That's one of the few areas I think Memphis has Nashville beat. Nothing beats crossing the Hernando Desoto bridge and seeing the density of early 20th century towers in the 200-300 foot range. I'm interested to see what similar buildings Nashville had in that age and height range.

7 hours ago, VSRJ said:

^^ and ^ Thanks! Much appreciated.

That's one of the few areas I think Memphis has Nashville beat. Nothing beats crossing the Hernando Desoto bridge and seeing the density of early 20th century towers in the 200-300 foot range. I'm interested to see what similar buildings Nashville had in that age and height range.

The answer to that is simple: none. The State Capitol and Union Station were the sole buildings at or around 200 feet, but neither being office building high-rises. Nashville's office buildings or hotels that were built in the early 20th century (up through the '30s) didn't exceed 155 feet and 13 floors. The L&C broke not only the 200 foot barrier (excluding Union Station), but the 300 foot barrier and the 400 foot barrier when it went up in 1957 (it was briefly the tallest office building in the entire southeast, including Atlanta and Miami). Nashville had an astonishingly "short" skyline until 1957, with Memphis and even Chattanooga and Knoxville exceeding it with 150+ footers.

• Like 2