Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Nice encapsulation of projects.  Noticed no mention of Virgin... which I think we can assume is DEAD! 

I didn't include Virgin simply because there hasn't been any further news about it in the last 4 months. I believe it is still going to happen eventually because of Branson's involvement. This market is just too hot of an entertainment capital and destination city for him not to want to have a stake in it. 

36 minutes ago, markhollin said:

I didn't include Virgin simply because there hasn't been any further news about it in the last 4 months. I believe it is still going to happen eventually because of Branson's involvement. This market is just too hot of an entertainment capital and destination city for him not to want to have a stake in it. 

On the Virgin Hotels website, it still lists Nashville as a future site...so until it disappears from their site, I've got to believe we're still in the running.  One thing about this brand is that it appears they are VERY slow in everything they do.  Took them way longer than expected to get Chicago open...and longer than expected to start NYC.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Yeah, considering how long it took them to even put a shovel in the dirt for the Chicago project, I'm not stressing about the Nashville Virgin Hotel yet.  

Branson has nothing to do with virgin hotels. He just sells rights to a name. The same way trump does. 

On 4/30/2016 at 11:09 PM, UTgrad09 said:

26449772820_4cd96fd28a_o.png

Imagine what this will look like in 5-10 years. It's already changed a bit.

This is how I view the future of Nashville's skyline. I don't see why the tall buildings should be restricted to only the inner loop near the river, I hope they can extend all the way to Centennial Park someday, which is why I love Skyhouse, Aerston, M Residences and so on. Also, dense infill around Greer stadium to the s-e and Fisk Meharry to the n-w would be smashing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, markhollin said:

We are now one-third of the way into 2016 and things are still hoppin’ in a major way, especially within the inner-loop and midtown.  Of course, there are many more when you consider Germantown, WeHo, East Nashville, Metro Center, Brentwood,  Franklin, etc. But I’m just going to concentrate on the central part and Midtown.

SKIP.....................SKIP

Forgive me if I missed some.  Please feel free to add any in the conversation.   

Great listing, Mark.

There is a 15 story hotel in midtown that was proposed a couple of years ago at 21st and Hayes. I recall Ron saying recently it may be back on schedule. And Eakins, 30th and Vanderbilt Place, should still be in the works. They are both in Midtown.

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, titanhog said:

So why did he buy the land where the Virgin Hotel in Nashville is supposed to be built from the Chase Company?

My guess is to try to offload it to developer willing to pay a large franchise fee. I am not saying the Virgin brand doesn't want to be in Nashville, but they are not going to develop the hotel. Look at the model of what they did in Chicago and New York, they bring in local developers to own/operate the hotels and allow them to use the Virgin name for a fee.

16 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Herakut mural today.   I think not quite finished, waiting for the rain to let up.  

Herakut

About the artists:

"The first round of murals for the Nashville Walls Project will be painted May 1 through May 8 downtown in a three-block area around 5th Avenue of the Arts. Greif has organized the artists to present a variety of styles in close proximity. First to arrive is the German duo Hera and Akut known as Herakut who will paint on the Cornerstone building on 6th Avenue facing the Hermitage Hotel. Using their signature subdued palette and elongated figures entangled with fantastical zoomorphic designs, they will create visual poetry. To make the mural meaningful for Nashville, they will immerse themselves within the community before they begin."

This is the view from my office.  Very, very cool.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

The very stout Old Hickory Bridge over the Cumberland River on the north side of town. Originally built in 1928, and updated in 1967.

Old Hickory Bridge.jpg

And recently refurbished.  My stepdaughter's dad lives in Old Hickory, so I get to cross this gorgeous span every once in awhile.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

And recently refurbished.  My stepdaughter's dad lives in Old Hickory, so I get to cross this gorgeous span every once in awhile.

even after the recent work it could still look so much nicer than it does. it has been hit with so much vandalism over the years.

Yes, that bridge reminds me of a "Portal", as it were, sort of the "Beaux Arts" of Nashville spans.  PHofKS probably has dealt with that thing here and there, I suppose.  Those "Sentry Towers" on each end of the northerly bridge (of the pair side-by-side), vaguely remind me of a Nashville "Hell Gate", even though these reportedly are a Parker through-truss design ─ with the middle and larger span being a "camelback" Parker design ─ as opposed to the 1916 Hell Gate's through-arch span.  IMO the Old Hickory bridge always has been one of those rare structures which has conferred that "Grand Ole" look to the city long before the city dared even "think" about growth, much less consolidation.  Reportedly, under pressure to accommodate the emergence of Stauffer Chemical and DuPont' Rayon Plant during the early-mid 1920s, county officials proceeded with the commitment of assurance in support, and a voting of bonds was held for the building the first (pictured) bridge in 1926, and the bridge, I believe, opened for traffic in 1928..

Those stone towers, which are ornamental and provide no structural load bearing for the truss spans, are details generally seen mostly in the Northeast.

Hell Gate Bridge, East River, New York
Hell_Gate_Portal.jpg

• Like 4