1010 Church Street (60 story/750', 500 unit residential tower, 7 story/60,000 sq. ft. YMCA addition), $350 million

markhollin

Hmmm... as much as I'd love the tower to be started, I don't recall any official statement by the developer that ground has been broken for it. Granted, I don't know Giarratana's usual PR approach and I'm not close to any of these projects, but seems to me a big project iike this warrants a big media "splash".  I've assumed the tower is not u/c and won't be for some time. I really hope I'm mistaken on this. 

1 hour ago, Armacing said:

Why are they filling in holes with gravel on the tower foundation part of this project?  Should we be worried that only the YMCA addition is currently under construction and the tower is on hold pending an improved economic/interest rate situation?

I've been wondering the exact same thing,  there's quite a few areas where they have filled holes with gravel but that whole site seems very busy and I'm hoping there's no problems.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Archibum said:

I think it all has to do with schedule and scope of work. Been working on a project for the last couple years and the number of times they've dug up and filled the same spot seems wildly inefficient. But I'm no general contractor so what do I know.

There’s a new road being built just a couple blocks down from me, they have done this sort of thing with this also. Had the road bed and gavel base down and smooth out , then dug it up to install the sewer line. Then smooth it out again, only to dig it up two weeks later to install gas and water lines. Again they smooth it out and thought paving would be next , but no they once again started digging it up along the whole length yesterday. 

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

There’s a new road being built just a couple blocks down from me, they have done this sort of thing with this also. Had the road bed and gavel base down and smooth out , then dug it up to install the sewer line. Then smooth it out again, only to dig it up two weeks later to install gas and water lines. Again they smooth it out and thought paving would be next , but no they once again started digging it up along the whole length yesterday. 

Interesting. I've seen this happen too, up here in New York.

Is this construction methodology and best practice, in order to prevent water infill and random objects going into the hole, until here is a timeline and ability to build out what is intended for that specific hole?

Just thinking out loud. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Edgefield D said:

I know that when they closed the portion of the Y that was torn down, I’m thinking that was last November? At the time, they said it would take 18 months for it to reopen. I wonder if that’s even possible? 

It's supposed to open in September of 2024 as I recall but it also seems like a very short amount of time to me as well.   Hopefully I can get down there again this week for a few photos, I've been sick for almost a week now and can't seem to shake it off.   

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

17 hours ago, MontanaGuy said:

It's supposed to open in September of 2024 as I recall but it also seems like a very short amount of time to me as well.   Hopefully I can get down there again this week for a few photos, I've been sick for almost a week now and can't seem to shake it off.   

At the time that they said 18 months I thought that was an awfully long time….but even September seems optimistic at this point. I’ve kind of gotten used to the lesser amenities….but I will also be glad to get the new digs. 

• Like 1