1010 Church Street (60 story/750', 500 unit residential tower, 7 story/60,000 sq. ft. YMCA addition), $350 million

markhollin

On 3/15/2024 at 8:55 PM, BnaBreaker said:

This is an answer I found on Quora by a supposed construction engineer to the question: "Why dig out and then fill in before building a large structure?"

"Preparation is the key to having a long lasting structure. Digging down well below grade and filling with compacted gravel provides a firm, level base that will not shift and allows water to dissipate from under the footings. It is done to provide extra stability. Foundation strength is vital for a building."

As someone said on this thread not too long ago, I think most of the reason this tower feels like it is taking forever to get going is because we are getting such regular updates on it, which is so awesome, but not typical on most projects.  With this project it's like we're looking at ourselves in the mirror once every week, while with most projects it's like looking at ourselves in the mirror once every five years. 

And yes, you guessed right, I can't figure out how to get the highlighting that was copied with the quote off of here.  😆

You guys keep posting that but those descriptions of dig & fill with gravel relate to a structure built on soil, not solid bedrock.  You are grasping at straws at this point... All we have to do is use our short term memory to review the process for the 10 other towers built here in Nashville recently and none of them dug & re-filled because that is unnecessary when you are building on solid bedrock.

The tower portion is obviously on hold for very valid economic reasons.  This is called a shadow hold:  On hold without announcing it's on hold.  Amazon tower 2 is vacant and filled with moth balls.  Amazon tower 3 is missing-in-action.  Asurion is still on the skids.  Amazon is still laying people off.  Oracle is on hold.   No corporate relocations in the pipeline because employees can't afford to move and get a new mortgage with higher interest rates.  Commercial real estate in melt-down.  Work from home/ hybrid attendance still going strong.  Alcove needs to fill.  Prime needs to fill.  The new twin towers on Commerce Street need to fill.

Given all of that uncertainty, I wouldn't blame Giarrantana if he decided to wait a year or two in order to figure out just how much residential demand there is on that street corner. 

Now, that being said, I still think he should quickly re-design and start construction ASAP.  Here are the re-design parameters:

1) Bump height up to 750 foot FAA ceiling

2) Double the # of units and cut the square footage of each unit in half

3) Double the price per square foot

4) Sell them all as Condos with no limitations on STR

My thinking on bullet #4 is that if commercial is dead and residential is soft, why not capitalize on tourism which seems to still be holding strong, then later on when people decide to live there instead of rent it out, the neighborhood will convert gradually and organically.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TNinVB said:

Couldn’t someone ask one of the workers onsite if they know anything about the tower progress? 

Good call! 

Someone has to know or has to have heard rumblings about the next tower phase, I would think. And you'd think they would know if they are going to be working there onsite for the next 2 years+ or so, as construction workers.

• Like 3

On 3/19/2024 at 8:00 AM, henburg said:

I don't know a lot about economics, but unfortunately this is not the mindset of developers/investors in Nashville at all from what I've seen. Outside of maybe AJ Capital in Wedgewood-Houston and the group behind River North on the East Bank, it feels like most are afraid to be pioneers in this city.

I'm not saying this tower is dead yet either, but I think that a lot of us are trying our best to rationalize and mislabel what is likely a delay. I hope I'm dead wrong on that, but it just feels like I've seen this movie before. It's frustrating too because apparently it's relatively simple to build two towers with an added height larger than one consolidated new tallest in this city.

AJ and Tony have a personal connection to Nashville (maybe an emotional connection too?).

But if a developer has either a build and hold strategy or more influence over their investors than average, building through a downturn can make a lot of sense.

• Like 4