1010 Church Street (60 story/750', 500 unit residential tower, 7 story/60,000 sq. ft. YMCA addition), $350 million

markhollin

On 1/22/2024 at 7:06 AM, NissanvilleTitans said:

I'm really confused, has this one officially started or what is happening here? Seems like they've been clearing this spot for centuries.

To me it's obvious they are intentionally "slow-walking" the construction of the main tower...  The "why" is trickier to deduce...

Could they be waiting on lower interest rates?  Could they be waiting for more collapse in the commercial office construction business to strengthen their hand in negotiations with desperate contractors?  Do they have a reason to think the cost of steel will be coming down?  Are they trying to reassess Amazon's expansion plans in a post-covid/work-from-home reality... specifically, when will Amazon Tower 2 start build-out and what are the prospects for Amazon Tower 3?  Have they seen some worrying trends with rentals at Alcove and Prime that make them doubt the viability of bringing a 3rd residential tower online at that intersection... knowing that the twin towers of Nashville Yards also need to be filled?  Are they re-doing the math to see what happens if it's 100% condos instead of rental (remember, the endeavor towner in gulch south made this change recently and that was a market-driven decision)?

There's no doubt there is plenty of uncertainty in the economy at large, but the new realities of work-from-home are, in my opinion, the biggest factor that will re-shape cities and residential investment over the near/medium term.  The North Gulch area is not that touristy, so the residential development there was designed to cater to workers who wanted to live close.  But do they NEED to live close?  Why rent when you can own?  Why pay downtown prices when you can live in Bucksnort or Bugtussle and build equity by purchasing a home (with a yard).

Would someone who works on West End or in Cool Springs feel motivated to live downtown?   Would someone who works downtown but only comes to the office 1 day per week feel motivated to live downtown?  I'm just struggling to identify who the target market for these units will be if Asurion is still on the skids (not growing), Amazon has stalled out (in Nashville), and the corporate relocation pipeline has dried up (as it appears to have done).   With interest rates this high and housing costs remaining high, companies are having a hard time getting employees to relocate, so everything feels frozen in place at the moment.

I just hope Tony has the foresight to see past this period of uncertainty and build this tower for the future when (presumably) growth will return to Nashville.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Armacing said:

To me it's obvious they are intentionally "slow-walking" the construction of the main tower...  The "why" is trickier to deduce...

Could they be waiting on lower interest rates?  Could they be waiting for more collapse in the commercial office construction business to strengthen their hand in negotiations with desperate contractors?  Do they have a reason to think the cost of steel will be coming down?  Are they trying to reassess Amazon's expansion plans in a post-covid/work-from-home reality... specifically, when will Amazon Tower 2 start build-out and what are the prospects for Amazon Tower 3?  Have they seen some worrying trends with rentals at Alcove and Prime that make them doubt the viability of bringing a 3rd residential tower online at that intersection... knowing that the twin towers of Nashville Yards also need to be filled?  Are they re-doing the math to see what happens if it's 100% condos instead of rental (remember, the endeavor towner in gulch south made this change recently and that was a market-driven decision)?

There's no doubt there is plenty of uncertainty in the economy at large, but the new realities of work-from-home are, in my opinion, the biggest factor that will re-shape cities and residential investment over the near/medium term.  The North Gulch area is not that touristy, so the residential development there was designed to cater to workers who wanted to live close.  But do they NEED to live close?  Why rent when you can own?  Why pay downtown prices when you can live in Bucksnort or Bugtussle and build equity by purchasing a home (with a yard).

Would someone who works on West End or in Cool Springs feel motivated to live downtown?   Would someone who works downtown but only comes to the office 1 day per week feel motivated to live downtown?  I'm just struggling to identify who the target market for these units will be if Asurion is still on the skids (not growing), Amazon has stalled out (in Nashville), and the corporate relocation pipeline has dried up (as it appears to have done).   With interest rates this high and housing costs remaining high, companies are having a hard time getting employees to relocate, so everything feels frozen in place at the moment.

I just hope Tony has the foresight to see past this period of uncertainty and build this tower for the future when (presumably) growth will return to Nashville.

There is certainly a lot of uncertainty within the multi-family world. My boss mentioned some vacancy and construction figures the other day to me and surprised at how high our apartment vacancy was. The ULI Emerging Trends breakfast (or possibly a NAIOP breakfast) mentioned that the uncertainty in the high-rise sector could be one of the biggest sufferers of this "lull" (because again the economy overall is strong unlike certain worry worts). The cost of steel is going to have minimal impacts due to this tower being concrete (steel rebar costs are definitely a thing though).

I would be very interested in if this went 100% condos though, that is a very intriguing thought. It would be a very interesting prospect for Tony to go this route too if nothing else because I would be curious about parking for the tower. It may not be required, but we are still seeing the market drive us to needing it. While there isn't any parking at Alcove, those lease holders will have parking in the Prime development. And while the Prime development is being finished, I believe they having parking within Nashville Yards. To add another wrinkle to that, when Amazon did their "return to the office" mandate, they FILLED their parking garage from what I heard, which required some re-shuffling of the parking allocated to these developments. 

While there is a certain amount of attraction to downtown Nashville, many of the best things about the city are not IN downtown (at least to me). So I agree with the question about what brings people who would be buying units here. Beyond corporate entities buying spaces or more select buyers, what is attracting folks to buy and live in Downtown Nashville? Do we have a strong enough Live/Work/Play downtown for a more permanent investment beyond renting for a couple years? We are seeing the Four Seasons (which attracts a unique buyer), The Endeavor building at Gulch Union (excited to see how sales go), Icon in the Gulch (this is condos, right?), Terrazzo in the Gulch and what other high-rise condo buildings do we have Downtown?

• Like 4

I live across the street from the 505 and I can tell you there's a lot of vacant units in the lower half of the building where the rentals are.  I've lived here for a year now and have been surprised at how long some of them remain empty.  It does make me wonder how many people are willing to pay a big chunk of their income on rent just to live downtown and how big that population of renters actually is.

• Like 4

in the third to last picture, you can see that the workers are using the supply lines coming from that truck that reads Select Concrete Service. So what ever they are doing , somehow deals with concrete. 

Edited by Luvemtall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the second to last picture, the concrete company is still working that area. Apparently they are preparing for some kind of concrete work, and you can notice that they have “smoothed out “ the bedrock surrounding the pit. Could this be the anchor point for the Tower portion about to start? 

• Like 3

Dig a hole, fill it in, dig that hole again, fill it in, dig another hole, fill it in and on and on and on 😁. Strangest thing I’ve ever seen, but I’m not an engineer so I can’t really say anything more on the subject. There’s definitely something to it, I doubt they would pay for all of this if there’s any reason the Tower project was on hold. They would just leave it to be another Lake Palmer if that’s the case.

Smeags , can you try to bend Tony’s ear and see if he has any info about what’s happening?

• Like 2