Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

57 is one of those places that continues to fall under the radar even for beer enthusiasts.  Not once have I ever heard 'you gotta try 57 for their _____ (insert IPA, Stout, Porter). Someone with good beer skills could probably put this on the map.  

Edited by arcturus

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, MJLO said:

I can't imagine there will be too many buildings that haven't been renovated on Wealthy 3-5 years from now.   The Wealthy/Charles area really is the epicenter of it all.

There's still the collection of buildings East of Wealthy/Eastern and the big church on that corner. That church was looking at selling not that long ago. They have a HUGE parking lot that could be infilled. 

There is that building right across from the church too. I think it was some heating and cooling repair business.
It is boarded-up and full of junk. Basically a hoarder's box. Why is that still unsold is beyond me.

And we STILL have the disgrace that is the old D&G party store. Still in a state of dilapidation.

That heating and cooling business is still in business.

8 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

Yep, mainly the garage area is what is used.  the portion closer to the corner is used less.

Given (I'm assuming) that they bought the building because it was cheap, it seems to me that they would be more than happy to relocate if the price is right. It's not like the location would matter to them.

12 minutes ago, organsnyder said:

Given (I'm assuming) that they bought the building because it was cheap, it seems to me that they would be more than happy to relocate if the price is right. It's not like the location would matter to them.

Do you think any part of that building in salvageable, or would the whole thing need to be knocked down if it was ever sold?

12 minutes ago, organsnyder said:

Do you think any part of that building in salvageable, to would the whole thing need to be knocked down if it was ever sold?

Edited by john_denver

29 minutes ago, john_denver said:

Do you think any part of that building in salvageable, or would the whole thing need to be knocked down if it was ever sold?

Do you think any part of that building in salvageable, to would the whole thing need to be knocked down if it was ever sold?

I have not seen the full interior.  There is room for maybe 2 -4 apartments on the second floor. and retail could be created on the lower section at the corner, but is not great because of wall density and no transparency.  The garage area could be modified to become retail, but it is slightly an island because there is residential homes right to the east. Thick masonary walls and not many windows, makes it more difficult to renovate into a useful space.

1 hour ago, jdkacz said:

Its official from the brewery's perspective. I am more excited about Jolly Pumpkin coming to GR over Atwater and New Holland. Not many places specialize in sours to the level they do.

JOLLY PUMPKIN MAKES A PROPOSAL TO THE WEST SIDE OF GR

There's a discussion on this in the West Side thread as well if you're interested. 

• Like 1

Georgina's

On 1/3/2017 at 1:26 PM, Pattmost20 said:

724 Wealthy (aka Phil's Stuff) looks like it will become the Grand Rapids location for Georgina's.

Georgina's.jpg

Georgina's! 

One of the most interesting things about this is that Georgina's took over a closing restaurant in T.C. called "Phil's on Front", and they're buying a business in GR called Phil's Stuff. Do you think they thought it was a sign? 

http://www.grnow.com/georginas-fusion-cuisine-looking-to-open-new-tacqueria-on-wealthy-street/

I'm definitely going to keep going to Donkey, because it's one of my favorite happy hour/lunch places. But this is an interesting read about the Georgina's owner Anthony Craig:

https://www.northernexpress.com/news/feature/article-7411-from-the-third-world-to-front-street/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Georgina's

Georgina's! 

One of the most interesting things about this is that Georgina's took over a closing restaurant in T.C. called "Phil's on Front", and they're buying a business in GR called Phil's Stuff. Do you think they thought it was a sign? 

http://www.grnow.com/georginas-fusion-cuisine-looking-to-open-new-tacqueria-on-wealthy-street/

I'm definitely going to keep going to Donkey, because it's one of my favorite happy hour/lunch places. But this is an interesting read about the Georgina's owner Anthony Craig:

https://www.northernexpress.com/news/feature/article-7411-from-the-third-world-to-front-street/

Tacos are quickly becoming one of my favorite things in GR.  And I live in California.  Just saying...

28 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

Tacos are quickly becoming one of my favorite things in GR.  And I live in California.  Just saying...

The interesting thing about Georgina's is that they mix in Asian and Cuban food to the whole taco scene in Grand Rapids. I'm really excited to try it. Apparently it's almost impossible to get into Georgina's on weekend evenings, at least in the nicer seasons, from a family member who lives in TC now. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

A late comment in this Reddit thread says there is a McCafe concept restaurant possibly going into the old Striders location?  Where would that come from and how would that work?

If it is the same McCafe they have in France, I'd be cool with it. Lattes, Croissants, and Macaroons. Delicious.

3 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I don't think that concept would come with a drive through.

I agree. The whole point is that they are a part of the "slow" dining movement where you sit down and stay there for your food/beverage often and you don't get it in a drive-through. I've seen a few of these concepts recently while traveling abroad and I have to say they're quite pretty and well done. At one of them they only served coffee/beverages in porcelain/glass with no option for take out. I think this is an interesting concept though I'm not a huge corporate chain person. The only thing I think is weird is the location. I wish we would see these things piloted downtown where there is a nice mix of office workers, hotel/convention goers, and new residents who would support this kind of thing on the week. Eastown, Easthills, Uptown, etc. all have such great places already in this vein. 

Well there are my two cents. 

• Like 2