Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

1201 Wealthy was a subject of an inter-neighborhood presentation last week. The developer gave some details on what their plans are for the currently empty lot. Originals are here:

https://www.facebook.com/eastowngr/photos/pcb.1630274883942262/10154773475746501/?type=3&theater

A story was shaved off, which is ok. It's more important to fill that corner in. Looks like a winner overall!

15875563_10154773475746501_1954757406930

15896346_10154773475796501_4371959917239

15994684_10154773475681501_2703646641040

15936990_10154773475541501_6100678784718

15937232_10154773475536501_8845820624066

14 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

1201 Wealthy was a subject of an inter-neighborhood presentation last week. The developer gave some details on what their plans are for the currently empty lot. Originals are here:

https://www.facebook.com/eastowngr/photos/pcb.1630274883942262/10154773475746501/?type=3&theater

A story was shaved off, which is ok. It's more important to fill that corner in. Looks like a winner overall!

15875563_10154773475746501_1954757406930

15896346_10154773475796501_4371959917239

15994684_10154773475681501_2703646641040

15936990_10154773475541501_6100678784718

15937232_10154773475536501_8845820624066

That's a nice-sized project. I like it. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, jdkacz said:

GRFD: Wealthy St. bar not salvageable after fire

i wonder if it gets bulldozed? Interesting to also find out what the cause of the fire.

The kids in front of the Wild Bunch this past summer.  It will be interesting to see what happens here.....This spot has always been so mysterious to me.

IMG_0910.JPG

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jdkacz said:

GRFD: Wealthy St. bar not salvageable after fire

i wonder if it gets bulldozed? Interesting to also find out what the cause of the fire.

100 year old building, outdated electrical and mechanicals (most likely), winter-time, what could go wrong? :) Some people are thinking it's arson but I find that hard to believe. You'd literally have to be insane to set that building on fire without thinking that it could burn the whole block down. 

46 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

100 year old building, outdated electrical and mechanicals (most likely), winter-time, what could go wrong? :) Some people are thinking it's arson but I find that hard to believe. You'd literally have to be insane to set that building on fire without thinking that it could burn the whole block down. 

Either way a convenient incident ridding an emerging neighborhood of an albatross.

19 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Either way a convenient incident ridding an emerging neighborhood of an albatross.

I know people who apparently know a lot of the members there (I had no idea), and had a lot of good experiences there. Maybe we should wait for a while before we start dancing on the embers. Otherwise you feed into this notion that the place was torched for gain, which just creates rifts in the community. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I know people who apparently know a lot of the members there (I had no idea), and had a lot of good experiences there. Maybe we should wait for a while before we start dancing on the embers. Otherwise you feed into this notion that the place was torched for gain, which just creates rifts in the community. 

Sorry not trying to feed into anything.  I just know that it was somewhat of an eyesore from the street, so it seemed ironic.  I certainly wasn't trying to speak of anyone who frequented it.

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

It's an ugly place, and I tend to think it probably doesn't help the vibe of the area, but I did hear that they were decent neighbors and didn't really live up to the name. Also, the sign is awesome.. :) A little amateurish in execution, but it has a good, 1970's motorcycle gang vibe to it. 

Hoe

It's good to see that it will be "rebuilt". I was afraid that Elk would end up buying the land and turning it into a parking lot.

However, these guys are going to have to realize that the sloppy/shabby looking exterior that they were allowed to have because wealthy street back in the 90s was full of the same, isnt going to fly in an historic district that is going to insist on restoration of that exterior to its original-original look at the very least, and neighbors that are really going to want a place that looks respectable next to places they poured lots of money into making them look nice.

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

It's an ugly place, and I tend to think it probably doesn't help the vibe of the area, but I did hear that they were decent neighbors and didn't really live up to the name. Also, the sign is awesome.. :) A little amateurish in execution, but it has a good, 1970's motorcycle gang vibe to it. 

Hoe

Joe,

I feel like you should think higher of yourself than to resort to calling yourself ugly names. :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

However, these guys are going to have to realize that the sloppy/shabby looking exterior that they were allowed to have because wealthy street back in the 90s was full of the same, isnt going to fly in an historic district that is going to insist on restoration of that exterior to its original-original look at the very least, and neighbors that are really going to want a place that looks respectable next to places they poured lots of money into making them look nice.

The front of the building sustained no damage.  They don't have to do anything other than put it back just how it was.  HPC's gonna have to go pound sand on this one.  Heck, it's looked like crap for so long I think the crappy look has "gained historic significance" at this point.  I think it has to stay that way FOREVER. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, x99 said:

The front of the building sustained no damage.  They don't have to do anything other than put it back just how it was.  HPC's gonna have to go pound sand on this one.  Heck, it's looked like crap for so long I think the crappy look has "gained historic significance" at this point.  I think it has to stay that way FOREVER. 

Hmmm. I had thought the GRFD said the building was not salvageable, so I dont think it's going to be a simple patch job. Some of the "windows" were busted out so the firefighters could gain entry from the photos, so I cant assume the city is going to allow them to just tack on some new replacement boards. :lol:

And if they have that much money to repair a building with that much fire damage, it makes you wonder why they just kept the place in such a lousy condition or why they would go though the whole process just to restore it back to what it looked like a week ago.

I'm almost thinking they are putting on a brave face, but when the quote comes in for repair/renovation, they will quickly and quietly put the hulk up for sale.

40 minutes ago, x99 said:

. . . Heck, it's looked like crap for so long I think the crappy look has "gained historic significance" at this point.  I think it has to stay that way FOREVER. 

I was thinking the same thing.  I don't think it's any less historic than all the old ugly gas stations along Wealthy that can't be touched.

I doubt if it can be saved though for any reasonable amount of money.

Edited by walker

4 hours ago, mielsonwheels said:

Joe,

I feel like you should think higher of yourself than to resort to calling yourself ugly names. :P

:rofl:

3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Hmmm. I had thought the GRFD said the building was not salvageable, so I dont think it's going to be a simple patch job. Some of the "windows" were busted out so the firefighters could gain entry from the photos, so I cant assume the city is going to allow them to just tack on some new replacement boards. :lol:

And if they have that much money to repair a building with that much fire damage, it makes you wonder why they just kept the place in such a lousy condition or why they would go though the whole process just to restore it back to what it looked like a week ago.

I'm almost thinking they are putting on a brave face, but when the quote comes in for repair/renovation, they will quickly and quietly put the hulk up for sale.

Depends on if they had insurance or not. 

23 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

If they could take buildings that sustained heavy bombing in WW2 Europe, fix up broken parts of the façade and rebuild the roof and interior, pretty sure they can salvage the front of this thing.

15 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

At what point of renovation do you think.... ill just remove this load bearing wall.  No big deal....

Ha! "Let's just remove a couple of these studs, they look rotten anyway. Oh, well I guess a couple more studs. Oh shit, all the studs went down..." 

• Like 4