Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

15 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I hope they will be required to put a sidewalk in with the renovation, but I think if they are not doing more than a 25% expansion they are not.

If I had to change one thing in the entire Gulch, I would have a sidewalk in front of the Wellspire Center and 905 Gleaves (the building in your photo, @markhollin).   Every week, thousands of tourists who have to cross Gleaves to get to a safe sidewalk on the north side.  And that street is busy on the weekends and it can be dangerous to cross.  It is my suspicion that someone with money was able to get the Wellspire Center built without having to have sidewalks, because it was built after the Gulch was a thing.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, markhollin said:

Chartwell Residential and EJF Capital have jointly purchased the 13 acre former Watkins College of Art property in MetroCenter from Belmont University for $22.5 million and are planning an 800 unit residential complex.  It will be built in two phases, the first of which should break ground later this year.  Cooper Carry will be the architect. No renderings yet. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/05/19/800-units-planned-for-former-watkins-campus.html

And behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/belmont-sells-watkins-campus-for-22-5m/article_931a2b5c-b7df-11eb-bacb-1788a1dcd70a.html

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.17.30 AM.png

I worked at Watkins up until the very end and worked with Belmont for 2 months during the merger transition. I knew Chartwell was purchasing, but didn’t know their exact plans. I don’t have access to the NBJ account. Does it mention if they are going to mow all the existing buildings down? I’m hopeful they just mow the 2 dorm buildings down in the back and build back there. I’m going to be a little nauseous if they knock down the main building. We had done so much work on it.....but I guess that’s life. 

20 minutes ago, Edgefield D said:

I worked at Watkins up until the very end and worked with Belmont for 2 months during the merger transition. I knew Chartwell was purchasing, but didn’t know their exact plans. I don’t have access to the NBJ account. Does it mention if they are going to mow all the existing buildings down? I’m hopeful they just mow the 2 dorm buildings down in the back and build back there. I’m going to be a little nauseous if they knock down the main building. We had done so much work on it.....but I guess that’s life. 

The NBJ article only states it will be 800 units.  My guess is that everything will come down.  

28 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The NBJ article only states it will be 800 units.  My guess is that everything will come down.  

I’m sure you are right. I’ve just been holding out hope, even though I knew it probably wouldn’t be the case. Thanks for checking the article.

Just now, Edgefield D said:

I’m sure you are right. I’ve just been holding out hope, even though I knew it probably wouldn’t be the case. Thanks for checking the article.

I have a soft spot for that building as well, having seen dozens of movies there when it was the Fountain Square Cinemas complex. But, as Neil Peart once wrote, "constant change is here to stay."

• Like 1

Nothing will stay IMO. They have already applied for sewer study permits , so they are not going to waste any time with this either.  The Modera Germantown project is like 9.5 acres and it is 800 units. This site is not quite 7 acres and will be the same amount of units and I expect they will be no more than 6 stories. It will probably be a tight build with the parking, so the buildings will come down.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 6:27 AM, markhollin said:

Chartwell Residential and EJF Capital have jointly purchased the 13 acre former Watkins College of Art property in MetroCenter from Belmont University for $22.5 million and are planning an 800 unit residential complex.  It will be built in two phases, the first of which should break ground later this year.  Cooper Carry will be the architect. No renderings yet. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/05/19/800-units-planned-for-former-watkins-campus.html

And behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/belmont-sells-watkins-campus-for-22-5m/article_931a2b5c-b7df-11eb-bacb-1788a1dcd70a.html

Hopefully they can address the lake in some fashion, in the way that Fountain Square Mall once did (or I guess still does). That's one of the few locations in Nashville to build an urban waterfront area and right now it's wasted on parking lots and the underutilized mall building. It has the potential to be a really neat area, especially with the Titans nearby (who still have one of the most unique practice facility locations in the NFL).

• Like 2

Curtis/Bordeaux Nashville LLC Development is planning a 300 unit residential project featuring multiple 3 & 4 story structures on 31 acres to the east of Clarksville Pike in Bordeaux. It will be built in 3 phases, with a possible 4th. 

More at NashvilleNowNext here:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2021/05/20/300-residential-units-proposed-for-bordeaux-in-north-nashville/

Curtis Development, May 20, 2021, diagram.png

This screen shot from Smeagolfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Curtis Development, May 20, 2021, site map.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some additional info on the Hearth and Haven at North Pointe development that E3 is  planning for 2423 Buena Vista Pike:  Will be 18 three & four story buildings with a total of 69 units.  RootArch is the architect;  Catalyst Design is handling engineering.

More at NashvilleNowNext here:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2021/05/20/hearth-haven-at-north-pointe-multi-family-development-proposed-on-buena-vista-pike/

Hearth and Haven at North Pointe, May 20, 2021, render 1.png

Hearth and Haven at North Pointe, May 20, 2021, render 2.png

Hearth and Haven at North Pointe, May 20, 2021, diagram.png

This screen shot from Smeagolfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Hearth and Haven at North Pointe, May 20, 2021, site map.png

• Like 1