Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

10 hours ago, dragonfly said:

OK believe it or not I'm going to reference a piece that I read in the school library at the former UC, now UTC, in 1969 right before I transferred to VU. Look below at page 97. This piece opens with a brief reference to the destruction required to put in the interstate through the North Nashville environs. That is precisely why it stuck in my mind, since I had a little bit of knowledge about North Nashville. It goes on to describe what the original interstate system was concieved to be during the Eisenhower years and how the original plans got corrupted by financial interests, both public and private. I remember being about 10 yo and asking my mother if Nashville would ever have expressways like Atlanta, where we visited my grandparents often (at that time, the 75/85  behemoth thru downtown Atlanta was a GA state-built expressway). My mother must have known at the time that interstates were coming to Nashville, because she answered affirmative. It would be interesting if someone can get the text of this article. I've already spent a half hour looking for this cover if anyone wants to find it, maybe at the NPL. Here is the only internet reference to the piece I could find: https://trid.trb.org/view/224428

Image 1 - Vintage Readers Digest Magazine May 1969

They will have the text at the local libraries as they normally keep bound copies of the  old magazines on file.

Alta Riverwalk (4 stories, 305 units) update: Former warehouse fully cleared.

Looking east from Great Circle Rd., 1/2 block west of Cumberland River Greenway:

Alta Riverwalk, April 24, 2021, 1.jpeg

Looking north from Great Circle Rd., 1/2 block west of Cumberland River Greenway:

Alta Riverwalk, April 24, 2021, 2.jpeg

Looking west from Great Circle Rd., 1/2 block west of Cumberland River Greenway:

Alta Riverwalk, April 24, 2021, 3.jpeg

• Like 2

Velocis and Lincoln Property Company, the co-owners of 211 Commerce St., are looking to paint the 11 story,  232,000 sq. ft. office building as part of a $13 million upgrade. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/red-bricked-downtown-tower-eyed-for-white-exterior/article_8953e95c-a9f0-11eb-8546-23b689eea016.html

211 Commerce, May 3, 2021, render 1.png

211 Commerce, May 3, 2021, render 2.png

211 Commerce, May 3, 2021, render 3.png

211 Commerce, May 3, 2021, render 4.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Skyridge will be a new residential neighborhood by Meritage Homes on Mulberry Downs Circle off of Dickerson Pike. It will have 112 townhomes and 221 single-family homes.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/homes/2021/05/02/real-estate-development-continues-nashvilles-urban-core/7398805002/

Skyridge, May 3, 2021, render.png

Skyridge, May 3, 2021, site map.png

50 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Velocis and Lincoln Property Company, the co-owners of 211 Commerce St., are looking to paint the 11 story,  232,000 sq. ft. office building as part of a $13 million upgrade. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/red-bricked-downtown-tower-eyed-for-white-exterior/article_8953e95c-a9f0-11eb-8546-23b689eea016.html

211 Commerce, May 3, 2021, render 1.png

211 Commerce, May 3, 2021, render 2.png

211 Commerce, May 3, 2021, render 3.png

211 Commerce, May 3, 2021, render 4.png

Shocked Terry Crews GIF by Team Coco

• Haha 2

NO NO NO NO NO!

Seriously one of the dumb and dumber moves ever if they allow this.

Actually was built as the perfect compliment to the buildings along 2nd Avenue…and should be similar to what they do to the AT&T switch exterior.  Definitely don’t need to paint a building white to make it stick out like a sore thumb.

Who do we contact to beg them to not give in to this?

baker donelson.jpg

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just don’t share the love for this building. I’ve never liked it, especially with its proximity to lower broad and 2nd Ave. In my opinion it looks like a weak copy. The windows look cheap, the white trim, color of the brick, etc. It looks like it belongs in Cool Springs. With that said, I don’t like the white either. Looks like a mini fed courthouse. Another building I can’t stand. Ok, got my negativity out for the day. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Turnip Truck was our only grocery store for many years.  For its small size, it is well-stocked and well-run.  Living in The Gulch has been so much better because the Turnip Truck has been here.  Now we hear that it may be closing.  That's not surprising since Whole Foods and Publix arrived.

There is a rumor that we may get a CVS or Walgreens at the corner of 12th and Division where City Fire restaurant used to be.  I haven't seen any activity in that space since City Fire closed but I walk by there several times a week hoping to see some sign of movement"

We have heard there is nothing to the rumor Mel and nothing to the Walgreens too. That comes from MStreet, but who knows!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

"Turnip Truck was our only grocery store for many years.  For its small size, it is well-stocked and well-run.  Living in The Gulch has been so much better because the Turnip Truck has been here.  Now we hear that it may be closing.  That's not surprising since Whole Foods and Publix arrived.

There is a rumor that we may get a CVS or Walgreens at the corner of 12th and Division where City Fire restaurant used to be.  I haven't seen any activity in that space since City Fire closed but I walk by there several times a week hoping to see some sign of movement"

We have heard there is nothing to the rumor Mel and nothing to the Walgreens too. That comes from MStreet, but who knows!

Thanks, smeags.  I will continue to walk by City Fire and stare into the windows, hoping, praying...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

Thanks, smeags.  I will continue to walk by City Fire and stare into the windows, hoping, praying...

It baffles me that CVS or Walgreens wouldn't want to look at the CityFire space or the Two Old Hippies space that will be coming open soon. With no competition anywhere in that area, that's a wide-open marketplace.

• Like 2

Retail comes and goes. It has been this way for years. Something will fill the space at some point. The exception to the rule these days may be those high dollar spots on Madison Ave in NYC and other places where the rent does not justify the means. The amount of sales a company has do in one of those slots to break even is mind boggling. That’s why a lot of them are sitting empty now.

There will be some fire sales on some real estate there and some bargains to be had when the loans come due.