Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

It's one thing to shut down sidewalks and roads, which is bad enough, but the guidance through the work zone is almost invariably atrocious and inadequate. It is even dangerous. It's a pet peeve of mine.

You get to the point where the sidewalk is closed and then you see the sign and have to cross over at mid-block. Or there is a hand painted sign somewhere that gives some cryptic instruction on how a pedestrian should navigate through the closure.

From the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, of which regulations are required to be followed under state law, ......(highlights mine)...link here

2009 Edition Chapter 6D. Pedestrian and Worker Safety

Section 6D.01 Pedestrian Considerations

Support:
01 A wide range of pedestrians might be affected by TTC zones, including the young, elderly, and people with disabilities such as hearing, visual, or mobility. These pedestrians need a clearly delineated and usable travel path. Considerations for pedestrians with disabilities are addressed in Section 6D.02.

Standard:
02 The various TTC provisions for pedestrian and worker safety set forth in Part 6 shall be applied by knowledgeable (for example, trained and/or certified) persons after appropriate evaluation and engineering judgment.

03 Advance notification of sidewalk closures shall be provided by the maintaining agency.

04 If the TTC zone affects the movement of pedestrians, adequate pedestrian access and walkways shall be provided. If the TTC zone affects an accessible and detectable pedestrian facility, the accessibility and detectability shall be maintained along the alternate pedestrian route.

Option:
05 If establishing or maintaining an alternate pedestrian route is not feasible during the project, an alternate means of providing for pedestrians may be used, such as adding free bus service around the project or assigning someone the responsibility to assist pedestrians with disabilities through the project limits.

Support:
06 It must be recognized that pedestrians are reluctant to retrace their steps to a prior intersection for a crossing or to add distance or out-of-the-way travel to a destination.

Guidance:
07 The following three items should be considered when planning for pedestrians in TTC zones:

1. Pedestrians should not be led into conflicts with vehicles, equipment, and operations.
  2. Pedestrians should not be led into conflicts with vehicles moving through or around the worksite.
  3. Pedestrians should be provided with a convenient and accessible path that replicates as nearly as practical the most desirable characteristics of the existing sidewalk(s) or footpath(s).

.........and  more .......

fig6h_28_sm.gif

Sorry for the fuzzy, small picture. But the idea is that there are specific and clear legally required instructions on how to address the issue of pedestrians in traffic control zones. No excuses for the 'stuff' that currently poses as traffic control.

But this is the law!! And I am surprised some law firm does not advertise there 'expertise' in suing contractors and the city for injuries received as a result of walking through these non-standard work zones. They would make a fortune.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PHofKS said:

Yes..../\  /\  /\  ...they had just leveled all the decrepit housing stock that occupied that area  north of the State Capitol and built those new roads in the 1960's. It was one of the largest and most widely praised examples of urban renewal in America at the time.

Unfortunately, developers added those undersized, mediocre buildings along James Robertson Parkway which have depressingly lined the road ever since. This is why I am so glad to see the renderings for the Towne Place Suites revealed. I hope more of these buildings will be replaced with more interesting architecture (except for channel 5 studios).

40129171462_8bd5d9b157_c.jpg

I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I would think this parcel deserves a bit of height and distinction. I'm never a vocal advocate of height in new developments, but this parcel is way too close to the core to have what may most likely be 1+5 wood construction building.

That all being said, the building does appear to have a nice architectural identity that should help down on this loop.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Design within reach of the curb, because that is where you'll be living after you buy that couch... but hey, at least you'll have a nice couch to sit on!

DWR was not named that because they competed with Ikea on price.  It was named that because at the time a lot of that furniture was only sold to interior designers or other professionals and not directly to the public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Holiday Inn Express in Metro Center is finally on it's way.  Omega Hotel Group will make a presentation to Metro Planning in early May for the point at which Dominican Drive becomes Third Avenue North and into which Clay Street T-intersects. The address is 303 Clay St.

It will be 6 stories tall, but no amount of rooms announced yet. Ragan-Smith & Associates will handle land planning and David R. Carter & Associates for architectural duties.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20998716/metrocenter-hotel-project-could-see-movement

Holiday Inn Express Metro Center, Mar 29, 2018, render 1.png

Holiday Inn Express Metro Center, Mar 29, 2018, render 2.png

This screen shot from Smaegolsfree's excellent development map shows the site in the middle of the frame, with good visibility from the I-64/40 north inner loop.

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 3.46.18 PM.png

On 3/28/2018 at 11:08 PM, PaulChinetti said:

Thought y’all might like this. I’d never seen this before. 

What's really a crying shame is that the surface parking lot on Charlotte (across from where the TSU downtown campus sits today) has been around that damn long....  But I guess when they cleared out all the homes that were in that area they decided to make way for a beautiful paved parking lot to enhance the view of the capitol.  I also didn't realize that I'm older than the Municipal Auditorium ...  :(   Anyway, just imagine if  back then Nashville had the vision to develop James Robertson Parkway the way SoBro is being developed today.   Just imagine that at least the northern side of the parkway being lined with high rises as if they provided a fortress to the capitol.

• Like 3