Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Regarding the Lifeway sale, what do you guys see staying within the buyers' new development on that campus?  I'm assuming the tower with the cross on it will stay and probably be refurbished?  Any other buildings that would probably stay?  Or...are the rest of the buildings likely to be demolished?

• Like 1

An approximation of the Lifeway Campus.....

Yikes, I never quite realized it was all that. Guess I never really thought about it, though.

Is that parking garage just a parking garage, or does it serve another purpose? I always hated high rise buildings that sprouted out of a sprawling parking garage. Just really makes the building look unnatural and silly in my opinion.

LA magnate attempting to complete purchase of Lifeway campus. Reading later in the article, it seems the purchasing company has hit some potholes the last few years. Will be interesting to see what happens with this 15 acres of downtown land and property.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/03/los-angeles-magnate-negotiating-to-buy-lifeways.html

More info today:

http://m.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/03/lifeway-unveils-details-for-major-mixed-use.html?r=full

Does anyone have an estimation for the real market value of that property? It has to be insane...

Article states $125 million as a purchase price. That's close to $200 a foot.

Phish playing the amphitheater in August. That will be a tough ticket with only 6800 seats. I'm guessing Phish hasn't played a venue that small since the early 90's. Edited by CenterHill

Yikes, I never quite realized it was all that. Guess I never really thought about it, though.

Is that parking garage just a parking garage, or does it serve another purpose? I always hated high rise buildings that sprouted out of a sprawling parking garage. Just really makes the building look unnatural and silly in my opinion.

I believe that is mostly the publishing house for the Lifeway people where they print all the Sunday school publications and whatever else.

We are here to discuss neighborhood development, not petty neighborhood squabbles. IMHO. 

This is true.

And there are threads where such ancillary issues to said development are discussed. New threads can also be created to discuss things like parking shortages/city codes/policies. Let's keep that discussion to a minimum in the neighborhood development threads.

Also, play nice, or don't play at all. Be civil with your disagreements.

Personally, I think that were it not for the fact that Cumberland Machine Co's small parking lot just so happens to be on one of the hottest corners in Germantown, there wouldn't really be much to gripe about in terms of their actual presence in the neighborhood.  I'm not saying there aren't better uses for that land, but I also think that there needs to be a place for businesses like this in any truly authentic, organic, full-service urban neighborhood. 

Also, from a purely aesthetic point of view, there are certainly existing industrial buildings that are far more offensive looking too, such as whatever it is that is directly across the street from Cumberland Machine.  Cumberland Machine is in a fairly nice, well maintained, older brick structure with an entrance right on the sidewalk, complete with landscaping.  It has high adaptive reuse potential, in my opinion.  Again, I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer something different in their place, but there are much bigger and uglier fish to fry in terms of neighborhood redevelopment.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

Just so you know how badly Dick Riebeling's bungling was a factor in the old Convention Center deal for Pat Emery... Metro entered into an agreement with Ashford Hospitality Trust (owner of the Renaissance) to lease (30 years) the old convention center space for $1 a year!!!  And this happened just three months before they decided to change course and chose Emery to redevelop the space.  Riebeling is quoted in the NBJ:  "I don't think we had really thought about what would happen to the old site."  Geesh, in the private sector this guy would have been fired a long time ago. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

I believe that the city was in a weak negotiating position because of the original contract that gave between the (old) convention center and the Renaissance (Stouffer) Hotel. The contract guaranteed a certain number of years that the convention center would be active... they wanted the Nashville MCC to begin booking groups and open prior to that contractual date and thus had to 'negotiate' a deal to prevent a lawsuit and damages from the hotel group.

That being said it was indeed short-sighted not have a plan for the old site even as the new site was being planned.

Edited by Guest

The historic Frost Building that fronts Rosa Parks (8th ave) is a part of the Lifeway campus sale. I hope that the protests from Historic Nashville members and the public will be epic if the new owners make plans to demolish this jewel. (I really don't think they would, but you can never underestimate the folly of some developers.)

Agree.    That building and this art deco building fronting 9th need to be preserved as part of whatever plan is developed.      

post-29449-0-71030100-1427301004_thumb.p

• Like 4

Two more sales on Monroe this month, spoke with buy-side agents, both of these will be tear downs + new construction.

T3SBIEb.jpg

Could you please put me in contact with the buyer of 1035?  I live down the street and would like to speak to them, thanks in advance!

I took issue with your similar statement on the other thread. So, your point is...not worth preserving?

Possibly. I'm definitely not in love with it. It is so beotchized now too I don't know how contributing it really is. I like the tower way more than the office space connected to it that fronts on Commerce.

I understand that preservation is hot on everyone's mind. I do appreciate that. Sometimes we have to consider that even if a building represents a particular period or tries to emulate a style doesn't mean it really contributes to the character and fabric. Many times what we really wish to preserve isn't about the building but the overall context in which it exists. So little of the context exists here or it is so poor to begin with I'm probably in favor of doing it right.

I'm really not saying tear the sucker down, but that section of downtown is such a miserable streetscape, disconnected mess of a grid, and void of built character zone anyway. I would love to really see it done right as a gateway to our city.

Exclusive: New owner on the $60M upgrade fueling a leasing surge at UBS Tower

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/03/exclusive-new-owner-on-the-60m-upgrade-fueling-a.html?page=all

Quote:

Coltea said he expects to recruit another one or two restaurants, among other retail options he is exploring.

The tower's Deaderick Street plaza is being redone, and similar work is about to begin on the Union Street and Third Avenue North entries to the tower. Part of the Third Avenue work will include creating a semicircle road allowing for valet drop-off and pick-up, both for the tower's tenants and for restaurant patrons.

All the work should be finished within the next nine to 12 months, Coltea said

*No word on the facade improvements we have seen in the promotional renderings. I hope those are still included with the upgrades.

• Like 1