Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Took a ride through town tonight for the first time in a while and couldn't help but notice how dark 1212 is. Other than the occasional apartment room, it was virtually unlit and invisible. Was there supposed to be any sort of exterior lighting on this building? Maybe they're still working on it?

• Like 1

Has anyone heard of a proposed hotel to take the Broadway side of Bridgestone Arena? It would remove the tower and the area going up Broadway that is basically a blank wall of billboards and houses meeting rooms and offices. It would be a narrow linear type building facing Broadway???? Definitely a rumor but from a fairly reliable source regarding at a minimum discussions. The plus is that the city owns and controls the land and they feel it could be done to add to the needed rooms for the Music City Center.

I don't know where you heard this, but it is a real discussion.

The concept is not removing the tower however. It would be right behind it. The city has wanted to move that police station and finds the blank wall on Broadway very undesirable. The city is also desperate for full service hotels. The longer Baptist holds out the more that site will get looked at.

Upgrades coming to Nashville's original first big skyscraper, the L&C Tower. Most notable: changing the signage color from red to green. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2015/03/20/lc-tower-reveals-new-tenants-details-renovations/25122829/

Why Gensler. Why Gensler?

I know nothing one way or the other and im not a fan of that blank wall either, but it seems like an odd choice to squeeze a hotel on to that sliver of land, when there is so much empty land nearby, especially when it would probably seriously disrupt activities at the arena and eliminate a fairly cool looking and unique (imo) local landmark. Nashville isn't exactly hard up for usable space.

But it is hard up for usable space that can be had at a realistic price. The city can convey land at a reduced value making some projects more feasible.

I spoke with Brent Elrod over at Urban Housing Solutions. They should have begun demo at Clarksville Pike and 26th yesterday and they are planning for groundbreaking in May.

He also added that they are bringing as much massing to Clarksville Pike as they can taking into account the NES lines that apparently they are not putting underground.

Cumberland Machine has been in the neighborhood a lot longer than 312. Its 312's problem they did not secure any parking before opening. Cumberland does not owe 312 any parking in its lot any more than Germantown Cafe owes Tempur (same owners as 312) parking in their lot. 

Agreed, but Cumberland Machine Co have been unamicable and stand-off ish when seeking any type of solution .  IE: Booting cars when someone goes to get a PICK UP order.  They are within their legal rights but acting like a dick.

Agreed, but Cumberland Machine Co have been unamicable and stand-off ish when seeking any type of solution .  IE: Booting cars when someone goes to get a PICK UP order.  They are within their legal rights but acting like a dick.

They'll make a fortune if they ever decide to sell that land.  

I guess the solution is...if you don't work for, or do business with Cumberland Machine, don't park in their parking lot.

No that isn't a solution.

I don't and I won't.  Pretty easy to walk 3 blocks to 312.  

One going up across from Elizabeth Park on Arthur. Two lots cleared yesterday for what I assume will be two more. Apologies for inverted image. Sent from iPhone and don't know how to rotate.

Flipped.

FZrnXkl.jpg

Edited by HGMIII

Here is a shot of the 1st ave. stage/park progress from the back taken from the Pedestrian bridge.  Looks like it will be a very large park and will be perfect for days like these.

Agree it will be GREAT for days like this!    I ran out to Centennial Park at lunch today.    It was packed and it was good to see so many people using the park.    Construction on the Cockrill Springs area is coming along and will include some nice design features.    

I expect the amphitheater park will be very well done also and will be heavily used by downtown residents, especially the large lawn.  

(there, I didn't say anything negative about the placement of the stage.   that felt good).    

I don't know where you heard this, but it is a real discussion.

The concept is not removing the tower however. It would be right behind it. The city has wanted to move that police station and finds the blank wall on Broadway very undesirable. The city is also desperate for full service hotels. The longer Baptist holds out the more that site will get looked at.

Why Gensler. Why Gensler?

But it is hard up for usable space that can be had at a realistic price. The city can convey land at a reduced value making some projects more feasible.

I hate that blank wall too; I'm all for this as long as it doesn't interfere with the tower or the sort of plaza space where the crowds spill out, which I think really complements the shape of the arena and makes that corner seems like a happening place.  

LA magnate attempting to complete purchase of Lifeway campus.  Reading later in the article, it seems the purchasing company has hit some potholes the last few years.  Will be interesting to see what happens with this 15 acres of downtown land and property.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/03/los-angeles-magnate-negotiating-to-buy-lifeways.html

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

Two things I take away from that...no fear of large skyscapers...

Among other holdings, BentleyForbes once owned Chicago’s high-profile Prudential Plaza office towers. BentleyForbes also once owned the tallest skyscraper in the Southeast: Atlanta’s Bank of America Plaza. The firm also previously owned one of the nation's most famous office buildings.

...and this....

LifeWay CEO Thom Rainer has said his organization, which has about 1,300 employees locally, is scouting downtown property where it hopes to build a new headquarters. On those plans, LifeWay is working with Nashville-based Gresham Smith and Partners.

Wonder where it will be?

Cautiously optimistic. 

• Like 1

I would not mind seeing Lifeway employees in a shiny new tower across the street from the Mother Church of Country Music!

While that would be an excellent tenant to help kickstart that project, I actually think that they would be a good prospect for WES or the Turnberry office building.