Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Agree. I run several times a week in and around downtown. Increasingly, I'm encountering these sidewalk closures and have to run in a lane of traffic with cars skirting past mere inches a away. Surely this isn't necessary. Sure, builders will ask for as much room as they can get, but when did pedestrians become irrelevant?

Part of the blame falls on developers and the city as well. Our priorities regarding walkability have shifted drastically in a short period of time.

It's technically Jones Buena Vista according to Google, except for the cleaners, which is in Elizabeth Park.

Who knows what the neighborhood is eventually going to be called. I vote for calling the whole area Buchanan, but with the long timers pronunciation "buck-anan"

• Like 1

Part of the blame falls on developers and the city as well. Our priorities regarding walkability have shifted drastically in a short period of time.

It's mostly all on the city. 

1. Metro's UDC should specify that pedestrian access to and across any site to a public walkway should not be impeded upon at any time.

2. Metro's UDC should specify that any contractor apply for a maintain a permit to impede on the developed public right of way during construction.

3. Metro's UDC should specify that private developers build pedestrian connections (sidewalks) across their property at the public right of way. 

• Like 3

On a related note, the traffic lane closures are a big inconvenience as well.  Chet Atkins was closed completely while Artisan on 18th was being built.  Yesterday Division was down to 1 lane each way at the Roundabout.  I thought that Prima opening would get that section Division back to 4 lanes (they were using 1 for construction staging), but now they are using that lane exclusively for valet parking. In front of Bound'ry at least they only block off parking spaces, not actual traffic lanes.

I've also noticed Whisky Kitchen uses that side street beside them (that runs from 12th to 11th) completely as valet.  If you want to cut through, you have to stay in the middle of the road and the cones are barely far enough apart to fit a car.

Pretty much, with this intense growth, it almost seems like anything is fair game.

1. Metro's UDC should specify that pedestrian access to and across any site to a public walkway should not be impeded upon at any time.

2. Metro's UDC should specify that any contractor apply for a maintain a permit to impede on the developed public right of way during construction.

3. Metro's UDC should specify that private developers build pedestrian connections (sidewalks) across their property at the public right of way. 

It's ALL on the city, as far as I am concerned. Contractors aren't going to do anymore than bare minimum to comply, and therefore they are free to hoard the edge of the street as they please, as it appears and if that happens to be the default guideline for demo/construction-site boundaries.  Metro, as well as the state (TOSHA) likely doen't even see it as a problem, but even if they did, then Metro might table discussion on any action as builders balk at and oppose such proposed enactment of policy changes (as Metro typically have done in deference to developers).

Of course, I know absolutely nothing w/r/t procedural mechanisms with which Metro deliberates on policy changes, but I do know it's going to require some "bite" to take a firm position in taking unfettered action (for a change).

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

It's technically Jones Buena Vista according to Google, except for the cleaners, which is in Elizabeth Park.

Who knows what the neighborhood is eventually going to be called. I vote for calling the whole area Buchanan, but with the long timers pronunciation "buck-anan"

You hit a nerve ─ a funny bone, that is.  Yeah, the "environmental" pronunciation of the old natives (and their progeny).  I've never seen it attempted spelled as it's said.  Typically the first syllable gets secondary stress to the 2nd-syllable primary.  Although I've always chosen not to say "buck-anan", since I would get "whupped" by one or both parents back in the '50s for saying it that way, I came to deal with it as the norm, since I spent my first years in that area (1951-1960).  So then I guess that it "validates" my taking exception to it as well.  From a young age I always hated to have to interpret it to those not from town (or even those not from that part of town), because it would embarrass me to become embarrassed for those who uttered it that way and for the confused, who would respond with, "Say what?"

I particularly cringe upon hearing natives commonly pronounce "Bordeaux" as "Bäh-h-h - doe", with extended stress on the first syllable.  But again I was partially raised in part of northtown, so I'm quite used to it.  I guess to each his own, though.  Louisville, OH, a 'burb on the NE side of Canton (US-62) is pronounced officially by all the townspeople as "Lewis - ville", not "Looey - v'l", so it's pronounced phonetically, as it is spelled.  (you'll get run out of town, if you call it wrong, I found out).

Unfortunately, another one, "Buena Vista" tends to be over-anglicized by the northtown natives as "Bew-nuh Vista".  They'd have a rather hard time in Buena Vista, Amador Co., Ca. (you think?)

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Wait, they don't already have codes like that in the first place? The double standard between contractors/construction crews and the general public is astonishing if that's the case. I'm fairly certain that if I decided to just go to some major thoroughfare and block traffic with a random fence, I'd get some attention from law enforcement pretty quickly.

Metro government has a LONG way to go when it comes to developing regulations commensurate with a city of the size and density Nashville is becoming. Not new or more restrictive laws even, just ones better suited to the environment.

• Like 1

One last comment on this issue (and maybe a faint glimmer of a silver lining):

I absolutely agree that more effort should be made to maintain safe pedestrian ROW. However, in many instances of sidewalk closures such as these, I have noticed that they at least demolish and replace the closed segment of sidewalk with fresh pavement. Much of the sidewalks in Nashville are in very poor condition, so we can all appreciate the fresh pavement when it is all finished. Especially when this new pavement comes with enhanced streetscaping, buried utilities, etc. and other general improvements.

• Like 1

The latest one I have seen is the palm trees project at 19th and Church. I can't believe public works continues to issue sidewalk closure permits for this kind of crap against all engineering guidelines and ADA requirements.

Still off-topic, I know, but the worst part about the sidewalk encroachment at 1818 Church is that it also covers up the MTA bus stop and bench at 19th and Church.

• Like 2

On a related note, the traffic lane closures are a big inconvenience as well. Chet Atkins was closed completely while Artisan on 18th was being built. Yesterday Division was down to 1 lane each way at the Roundabout. I thought that Prima opening would get that section Division back to 4 lanes (they were using 1 for construction staging), but now they are using that lane exclusively for valet parking. In front of Bound'ry at least they only block off parking spaces, not actual traffic lanes.

This issue is one that really bothers me. These people are impeding upon public ROW for private profit. That's a criminal act of I've ever seen one. Yet the city seems to be just fine with it.

• Like 1

I think they apply and are granted use of the right of way from Metro. I know 'M' Street has a similar arraignment as well as The Southern and and The Standard. Now I do not know if they all take up the actual lane or if some just use the 'parking' lanes.

This issue is one that really bothers me. These people are impeding upon public ROW for private profit. That's a criminal act of I've ever seen one. Yet the city seems to be just fine with it.

Being a visual person, I wonder...  is there a talented regular here who could do a map of just the Germantown/North Downtown/Salemtown section with their new projects on their respective sites?   Just wondering, as this section of downtown has so much going on that it is confusing to someone who is not familiar with it in the first place. 

So is this project one that has not been announced before now?  And will it go just across Madison (to the North) of the project bounded by the block of Jefferson/3rd/Madison/2nd?  I believe that is the Broadstone project by a Phoenix developer... right? 

Okay... just read William's piece.  It is at that location, and apparently one we haven't heard about before.  

From the Post.. https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/4/6/developer_releases_image_seeks_rezoning_for_germantown_project

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

I haven't seen that or even been by there of late (actually glad that I haven't seen it).  Maybe I should check it out, except for the fact that i don't have an occasion to weave into that quagmire but for weekends.  As nashvillwill says, the city seems to be perfectly fine with it ─ this or the police assume that it has been cleared with the Traffic and Parking Commission (because it appears to be legitimate), when in truth it has not.  Even if it were, then it's would appear to be an outright case of double-standard.  I would think that roundabouts, that particular one especially, more than standard intersections, would require far better and unimpeded collateral clearance within the service area, for optimal utilization and passage.

As Ron suggests, I guess one or more of us might contact the councilperson for that district and take exception.  That might be a bit problematic, if "perceived" undue submission to closed interests has substantiated evidence, but with whatever alternative means, this does need to be called out, at least.  I cannot see this practice condoned indefinitely, if indeed it is overlooked, once all the projected activity along the Row and at Aertson Midtown gets into full force.  This would be counter-productive at minimum, given the current less-than-marginally effective traffic flow between downtown and midtown,

-==-