Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Most cannot afford 2200 a month and also save money for their future. That 26,400 which is roughly $35k before taxes. You need to be making some serious money to afford that and be saving 10-15% for retirement if you are planning properly.

Not everyone can afford to live downtown, but there are plenty of people who can.  There are plenty of Apt complexes in outlining cities that have a lower rent.  

A recent graduate who gets an analyst job at UBS/Regions/Bridgestone/etc. will come in making 50,000+ with a signing bonus.  These are the types of people these high rent communities are being built for.  

Edited by HGMIII

Not everyone can afford to live downtown, but there are plenty of people who can.  There are plenty of Apt complexes in outlining cities that have a lower rent.  

A recent graduate who gets an analyst job at UBS/Regions/Bridgestone/etc. will come in making 50,000+ with a signing bonus.  These are the types of people these high rent communities are being built for.  

$50,000 cannot afford a $1500 a month apartment. That is $18,000 a year or $22,500(assuming 20% tax rate) before taxes. Spending 45% of your income on rent is simply not feasible. You should not be spending $1,500 a month on rent unless you are making $80,000 + imo.

Maybe I am too conservative fiscally, who knows.

I dont mind the Contributor people at all, in fact they are much more aggressive in cool springs than downtown. I am much more likely to buy a contributor than give change to someone else.

as far as pan handling goes, the worst I have seen was actually at krispy kreme in cool springs, not downtown.  I actually had a woman knock on my car window there before.  I asked her how she got to the middle of a commercial are without driving.  she moved on to the next person after that.

I was just thinking with the story about the Cambria Hotel in Sobro... and began to wonder why there hasn't been a hotel of similar size (or smaller) proposed for the Sounds Ballpark.  As things are now, there isn't a hotel to be found in that whole section of town.... and it will soon be a very big draw for baseball fans... and families who would visit the capitol and surrounding area.  So question: Did I just miss a part of the plan for the ballpark that includes a hotel?  Seems like a 150-200 room hotel would do quite well there. 

• Like 1

As a finance guy if I had a friend spending $1500 a month plus utilities on $54k. Year I would tell them they are nuts. It's that type of behavior that left us with the financial crisis and a looming retirement crisis.

But that's just me and I might be too conservative in terms of personal finance.

$50,000 cannot afford a $1500 a month apartment. That is $18,000 a year or $22,500(assuming 20% tax rate) before taxes. Spending 45% of your income on rent is simply not feasible. You should not be spending $1,500 a month on rent unless you are making $80,000 + imo.

Maybe I am too conservative fiscally, who knows.

It was an example, I don't care what the real income is.  The point is this, these downtown apartment complexes are continuing to be built and the rent isn't going down.  

I'm noticing a lot of posts on Facebook for people who have bought 300k+ houses who are renting out rooms. I suspect that's a lot of what's going on. I don't know who is renting the one bedrooms, but if you want a nice place in the urban core, you are looking at 600-750 a bedroom. 

Market for a nicely remodeled small 2 bed house in north nashville now (west of 65) is 900-1000. The bottom of the barrel for a 3 bedroom is around 800-850.

I really think the majority of these units are going to people who have been living in high rent cities and have moved here. Many of them are telecommuting so they are still making LA/NYC/Chicago wages but living in Nashville.

• Like 2

I'm noticing a lot of posts on Facebook for people who have bought 300k+ houses who are renting out rooms. I suspect that's a lot of what's going on. I don't know who is renting the one bedrooms, but if you want a nice place in the urban core, you are looking at 600-750 a bedroom. 

Market for a nicely remodeled small 2 bed house in north nashville now (west of 65) is 900-1000. The bottom of the barrel for a 3 bedroom is around 800-850.

I really think the majority of these units are going to people who have been living in high rent cities and have moved here. Many of them are telecommuting so they are still making LA/NYC/Chicago wages but living in Nashville.

I think that's a good perception.  Nashv'l is not even close to approaching a state of flourishing on its own, as if it were a self-sustaining island, and w/r/t that matter, those cities which might have been viewed as such have become less so, in the ever-rising realm of telecommuting for collaborative and distributive corporate interaction.  It’s becoming more and more integrated into the workplace culture of this region, and it’s manifesting itself increasingly in the wolfing up of condos, more modest houses, and apartments.  As you have stated, dwellers are taking to the more trusted of the social media like Facebook for sharing living spaces, especially if these workers are transients in the sense that they travel much or most of their time, and whose employers tend to dispatch them on “client” or “branch” missions to other physical locations (whether they telecommute or not).

A high percentage of the corporate workforce targeting near- and in-town housing are individuals whose work comprises a mix of physical presence and who muster as “virtual employees”, and, from my personal interaction with people, I am led to conclude that many of these work as contractors or long-term freelancers, for which job postings have become a norm.  Especially in tech companies, having remote and virtual employees is not only a way to get things done round the clock, without physically commuting, and with hard-to-find skill sets, but it also is a way to meet the needs of employees who don’t want to or can’t live near the corporate or branch office, which may or may not physically exist within the region.  I suspect that, not only do virtual employers work for firms located within the Nashv’l MSA and have personal preferences to live close to DT, but also they frequently inter-mesh with more than one geographical point, either to co-workers, superiors, or subordinates, or to end-users and clients.  While I am not interested in working with Red Hat Inc., from time to time I have received “beckonings” to a career in open-source development with them.   Red Hat is one example of a highly distributed company, which seems to thrive on the establishment of a virtual workforce from just about anywhere.

Remote definitely is not for every career tract, that that op is not well-suited for remote working but instead is better served with an on-premise office setting.  Employers have been realizing that not everyone wants to, or can afford to, live in the cities popularly recognized as technology centers, and employers realize that workers must possess the disposition and skills to succeed and to align themselves as team members in a virtual environment.  Employers also need a complementary set of skills to manage these remote workers, while maintaining a supportive corporate culture to enable remote employees to be successful.   Of course, all this could be for naught without the physical communications and technical infrastructure (Google, Verizon,…) in place to empower virtual collaboration.  For the home market in Nashv’l, this is identified as a cause and effect of one marketplace interlaced with another ─ the ramification effect – which has helped spark off Salemtown , HBV and Eliz. Park, and as some posters have indicated in other topics, this includes some slivers of Bordeaux.  The same has been happening for a number of years now in Sylvan Hts/Park, and Hope Gardens, although much of the rather confined yet convenient Hope Gardens consists of units which replaced much of the existing deteriorated housing back during the early 2000s.

-==-

If they go with a similar floor plan for Nashville's tract, then 224 rooms might be a few floors taller than this Washington DC version.  Guessing i would be in the 11-12 story range.