Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Side-note: I feel it was an incredibly poor decision for the city to not mandate some sort of a pedestrian thoroughfare between Icon and Pine Street Flats. There's a huge amount of disconnection between the "heart" of the Gulch and the section behind Icon that I'm not sure could ever be rectified now. Both sides suffer for it, IMO.

• Like 3

This is one I'm very excited about (Thompson hotel). It's going to give the Gulch a completely different look in terms of density and feeling like a true urban neighborhood (or one that is steadily growing into that status). As popular as the Gulch has become, it has felt unfinished, incomplete having the gravel lot at this key crossroads. There are plenty more gaps to be filled in in the Gulch, but this is the most important one.

Were it not for the Station Inn I would say that the block bordered by 11th, 12th, and Pine would be an ideal location for open space such as a square or plaza. If you can imagine standing in the middle of such a space with full build-out of the surrounding area you can see what I'm getting at.

Side-note: I feel it was an incredibly poor decision for the city to not mandate some sort of a pedestrian thoroughfare between Icon and Pine Street Flats. There's a huge amount of disconnection between the "heart" of the Gulch and the section behind Icon that I'm not sure could ever be rectified now. Both sides suffer for it, IMO.

Or an extension (probably a re-extension) of Gleaves. In any case, the elevation change combined with the close quarters puts a damper on any such connection today.

anything new here?

it just needs a serpentine shortcut across the train tracks ─ that should fulfill the needs.

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Great looking project...incredibly beneficial...but something tells me that the $100 million price tag will bring the naysayers out...'why don't they just put plywood slabs up and spend that money on painting the rusty swingsets around town??'

• Like 1

Count me as a Naysayer...... $100,000,000 for a 500 year flood? The economics do not make sense.

The 500 year flood is the one that causes $2 billion in damage.  What about all the other more minor but still monetarily impactful floods?  This would pay for itself relatively quickly, I would think. 

The pumping station slash observation platform seems like a new element that was not in the west riverfront amphitheater park currently under construction. There was an observation deck at that location in the original plan, which has not been under construction, but I think incorporating a $65M pumping station into it is a new development.

A downtown pumping station is needed and is a good idea. But it will involve major underground infrastructure work that will almost certainly have to run underneath the new park (the lawn component). Bids will have to be let and construction contracts negotiated. Seems like this will set the park opening timeline back considerably. Anyone know?

To correct myself a 1000 year flood!??!?!? This is insanity. The 13 MIL for the wall ? Sure why not. It looks better than some of the public art the Metro Art Council installs. But 65MIL for a pumping station that will be idle, on average, 999 years out of a thousand. Hyperbole admittedly, but serious what historic flood stage needs to be triggered before the new pumping station is even utilized? That would be good information IMO. 

oh and.... hold onto our water service user fees because this 1000MIL price tag is ONLY for the West Bank..... East Bank flood mitigation plan is on the way! yay

I just love the notion that we should be cutting corners and going the budget route on a project designed to protect the city from the same natural disaster that just cost the city $2 billion (that's $2,000,000,000 or TWENTY TIMES the cost of this project) to recover from only three years prior.  In other words, in monetary terms, the city just paid for twenty of these projects already due explicitly to the fact that we DID NOT invest in a project like this sooner, and yet somehow, there are still people complaining about the cost, up in arms about making that total twenty-one even if it meant it would never happen again.  Seriously, this is the literal physical well-being of the city we're talking about here.  I realize that there is a cost/benefit analysis that needs to be conducted when it comes to large scale projects like this, but I would think that if there was anything the bargain basement budget crowd would consider worthy of funding, it would be safeguarding the city from natural disaster.  Maybe it's just me, but that's not something I think pennies should be pinched over. 

Edited by BnaBreaker

Protection always outweighs cost in the end.

I wouldn't say that. We can engineer a lot of things that would protect us from a lot of different threats, but the risk benefit equation doesn't work out.

What's more important? A mass transit project from Centennial Park to 5 Points (or downtown to the airport) or flood protection? We could have either one for roughly the same price.

I'm undecided on this at this point, but I don't fall into the camp that says protect against a threat that is unlikely to hit us in the 100 years at any cost.

Permit pulled for new build at 1723 Heiman - they purchased the lot and home on it for over 60k and permit was pulled for 173k build... so this may list in the high 200s.

Hart-Love builders appears to be starting a build soon on 10th Ave N and they also purchased a house/lot on cass at auction for 57k.

As I said earlier, things are really heating up NW of the interstate in Elizabeth Park and surrounding neighborhoods.