Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Core drilling started this morning at 1000 Division.  I believe that's the address, lot right between Icon and Yazoo.  There's been a lot of "activity" the last couple weeks, people scoping out the lot.  I saw plans for this about 4 years ago, but I'm assuming and hope it's not going to be the same design.  At the time it was a 3 story retail/office building with parking in the front of the building.  Hopefully it's redesigned with the building closer to the sidewalk and parking in the back of the building.  This is literally right outside my window in the Icon so I can take pictures of construction progress.  I imagine/hope this will go up quick.

I think, to avoid confusion, pretty much everything between the railroad tracks and I-40 is considered "The Gulch", regardless of elevation. I believe that the area east of 8th used to not be included, but for marketing/real estate purposes...well....what else would you call it?

One of the google maps I saw labeled the area where this building is proposed "Fogg Hill."  There is a Fogg Street in the area!

The Slaughterhouse haunted house is cleaning out their building today on 6th Ave S, anyone heard anything about something possible happening with that building?

They could just be changing their stuff inside for October. I would rather it be them moving out for some cool though.

Core drilling started this morning at 1000 Division.  I believe that's the address, lot right between Icon and Yazoo.  There's been a lot of "activity" the last couple weeks, people scoping out the lot.  I saw plans for this about 4 years ago, but I'm assuming and hope it's not going to be the same design.  At the time it was a 3 story retail/office building with parking in the front of the building.  Hopefully it's redesigned with the building closer to the sidewalk and parking in the back of the building.  This is literally right outside my window in the Icon so I can take pictures of construction progress.  I imagine/hope this will go up quick.

MZ, if I see a cool pic from Terrazzo I'll add it.  I can see this lot from my balcony.

All, I saw two pickup trucks parked in the small area in front of Palmer's Summit a week ago.  No names on the trucks (that I could see) but they looked construction-related.

Someone on the Crescendo thread was speculating about whether we're seeing the end of this bubble.  I'll give some brief comments since the economy IS something I know a few things about.

Credit has driven the business cycle in this country for many decades.  This has been amplified since Greenspan took the helm of the Fed.  This credit boom began in 2009 and still has a lot of steam.  When the Fed starts raising rates the cycle enters its last big phase, and that hasn't happened yet.  True, rates are beginning to normalize since the Fed began tapering its bond purchases but the rise in short term rates is the catalyst for banks to really start lending.

The recovery in Commercial & Industrial loans began earlier this cycle, as opposed to Consumer and Mortgage loans.  That is one reason why we're seeing C&I building projects earlier in this cycle.  Perhaps there will be a C&I real estate bubble this cycle like we had a home bubble last cycle, but it's still too early to tell.

As I drive by the Omni Hotel everyday to and from work, I'm wondering who owns the big parking lot directly across the street from the Omni's front doors and are there any plans for a major project there?

I think that is owned by a hotel group out of Green Hills. They also bought the Bridges to Hearing Building that sits right behind it. I am not sure if Bert Matthews still owns part of the property that is next to it.

On a related note, in SoBro, Rocketown is planning an expansion. From the Tennessean.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/06/02/rocketowns-expansion-plans-include-skate-park-shelter/9886051/

Could certainly lend some credence to the 23-story on the Myer's site you guys keep ragging on...

Already having a tall building there would make the possibility of another increasingly likely.

Edited by Vrtigo

Not really sure what they want to do at that location at this point. SouthEast Venture is the company involved and they are not known for highrise projects. A lot of their projects have been done with HG Hill. It's way to early to know what the plans are at this point.

I was looking for the Car Quest property on the other corner to get redeveloped first.

The Fountains Germantown SP (b/t 3rd and 4th south of Van Buren) passed 2nd Council reading last night  http://www.nashville.gov/mc/ordinances/term_2011_2015/bl2014_765.htm.  I don't recall any hands raised in opposition to this one.  I'm sure no one spoke in opposition to this one. So this one should pass 3rd reading later this month.

These properties are inside the Germantown Historic Preservation District.  The way that this works is that SPs must be approved by Planning and the Council and then they go to the Historic Zoning Commissioners for a determination of the project's appropriateness to meeting the design guidelines.  In typical infill cases in which there is no change to base zoning, the application would just go directly to the MHZC for review before a building permit is issued.

I had to look at this one twice because I almost had it confused with 4th/Van Buren (Morgan Park Place) that Historic reviewed last month and that project on 6th just below Taylor a little bit south of Werthan that Historic reviewed about two months ago.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Judging from the craziness downtown today it looks like Broadway and the area around Bridgestone/Hall of Fame will be on display tonight on the CMT Music Awards.  They've been rehearsing have some outdoor performances either during the red carpet or main show.  I know last year they had performances outside of Bridgestone and and it made the city look really cool.  Looks like the red carpet starts at 7 (6 central) with the main show starting at 8 (7 central).  Let the Fan Fair invasion begin!

• Like 1