JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

Interesting to consider.

It is worth noting however that if, say that Fortune 50 rumor comes true, then the office building that had been slated for this site would hardly be adequate. Consider Bridgestone, after all--they are #283 on the Fortune 500. If Bridgestone needs something nearly 500' tall, then what had been proposed here would need to be nearly twice its original size.

Maybe the initial design without the office tower will feature a smaller parking garage for the hotel on the south end (underneath the pool and meeting space).  If so, perhaps the office design could be extended to curve even further down to the southern portion (with plenty of parking underneath). Doing this and possibly adding another few floors could make it nearly twice the capacity. Or they could possibly just add a third tower.  Several fun options with which to play.   ; )

I don't see why they don't go with a residential tower like they originally planned? Seems odd they bought this parcel and one corner will be undeveloped.  Perhaps something could still happen after the hotel construction starts. Hopefully the design of the hotel won't change. Then again, with our luck....

I am not surprised at this at all. I stated previously that this project was a lot of paper for a bank to carry, especially for a spec office tower. I had some doubts at the viability of this project, but building just the hotel at this point is a good idea, especially with Gulch Crossings having some space available, The Eakin Tower coming on line in a year, and the Michael hayes Tower starting sometime in the next few months.

I agree with ML Brumby. This could be 15 stories, but I am suggesting it could be 20-30 stories. I also think the architecture could change since the overall design was for a two tower project that played off each other. I can see the final design to be more angular and less curvilinear. (Remember last November Tony said curves are expensive.) The current rendering will change as they have obviously opted to go with a more economic project, and since Turnberry has a large stake in the Hilton which is rather generic in design, I expect the same for this tower at this point. 

If they want this to open in late 2017, they had better get started.

JM

So you think they'll scrap the plans for a second tower altogether and just make the JW fat and short? They paid over $28 million for that site! I strongly doubt they're going to scale down the JW. If anything, I think they'll build the JW as planned, and make the rest surface parking until A) they decide to build another hotel or add a residential component or B) they split and sell off the remaining parcel and sell it to someone who will develop it.

Paying $28+ million for a lot for a single hotel does not make sense financially. That would be profoundly stupid on their part. I don't think the sale would have ever gone through if they planned to redesign the hotel to take up the whole block. Remember, Westin's developers paid $8 million for a 1.7 acre lot next door. 

True that, but that lot is worth that kind of coin. It as usual, is a wait and see issue. It's market driven, not Urban Planet driven! You can fit 500 rooms into 15-20 stories, so we will see what type of room they are going for. If it involves a lot of suites, then they will need more floors.

Toy G said the cost per room really depends on how high they go, and if the building is a reality. 

The hotel market is a strange one. Customers always want new and fresh product, but each generation that comes along has different needs and wants for lodging, so the market is always in flux.

In the overall scheme of this tower I see 35 stories and 350-400 feet on the high end and 20-30 stores and 250-325 feet on the short end. Since the Westin is 27 stories and 321, then 350-400 could make sense. Remember hotel ceiling to floor heights are usually 9-10 feet.

• Like 1

It is worth that, but they have to build something in order to make it worth that cost. It would appear to be very hard for them to justify that $28 million price for 500 hotel rooms. That's a cost of $56,000 per room before construction even takes place. that compares to $17,600 per room land cost for the Westin. 

To bring that per room land cost down they would either have to increase the number of rooms significantly (not likely IMO), develop the other half of the land in order to increase revenues, or sell it off. 

• 2 weeks later...

^She'd look better without the tats. And the clothes. <_<

You could throw Taylor Swift into the discussion as well! Okay back to the built environment, or are we talking about the built environment! Titanhog should be reprimanded for posting such a picture!! Too distracting!

Seriously, demolition has started. Walked by the site last night so I hope we see an updated rendering soon.

• Like 1

You could throw Taylor Swift into the discussion as well! Okay back to the built environment, or are we talking about the built environment! Titanhog should be reprimanded for posting such a picture!! Too distracting!

Seriously, demolition has started. Walked by the site last night so I hope we see an updated rendering soon.

"...Titanhog should be reprimanded for posting such a picture!! Too distracting!"

I really wanted to "Like"-tag the post, but I also was really afraid to touch that (just the post itself, that is), because it might have branded me as a "ball-and-chain" kind of guy (at least that particular context of "ball-and-chain").
-==-