JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

Even though I'm not "ML", I offer this pertinent info.  The mandate ban of 1989 was overturned in '91 by appeal, and currently only specific products remain banned.  A building can maintain some of its asbestos-laden material or sub-system components, under certain conditions, in particular, by encapsulation, when airborne pathogens are not likely to be generated of released.  I had to work with asbestos-abatement contractors during the mid-'90s, in retrofitting some mechanical rooms in older structures.

-==-

I thought asbestos removal was supposed to have been completed back in 1989 by law….ML? What is the law on this?

Not all buildings are required to remove asbestos, as long as it is "contained".  That is less nebulous than it sounds, as there are multiple EPA guidelines, and even a number of state guidelines. But Ron is correct in the event that a building is slated for demo. If the asbestos has never been removed, it will need to be done so before the demo proceeds. 

​This could have started already as many of the windows have been removed or boarded up. I could see some of the office were already vacant from my view from the street.

I hate to see this building go, in fact I would rather this project not happen then to lose this gem. The warehouse is classic and very cool inside, and the building is full of valuable marble.

​I hope they have the decency to salvage the architectural gems inside.

Since we have to have more destruction of our Nashville past, lets hope they show some respect and homage to the UMPH complex, and even the stately mansion that was on the site prior to UMPH being there.

Nashville has a history of historical destruction, and this project is jet another example of that.

I really don't like this project at all, but if it be, it be.

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 2

You sure. John? ;-P

(^^ funny)

Yes?-No! ─ Maybe so...?!?!

...but I have to say that John is the first to agree with my post last week on all those white marble clad-panels and the thicker dark material (either Uba-Tuba granite or terrazzo slabs).  I'll really miss that squatty, square smoke stack on the behind-side, also.

-==-

I have waffled like a politician yes….I like the development, but I really hate to see the UMPH campus gone. Lost of memories of the area, including the old warehouse torn down for the Westin. That used to be an outlet warehouse and when my parents bought furniture there, I got free hotdogs and popcorn.. Ah the memories!

Too far out in the suburbs for you, John?

Just on the edge of town, but I'll take it…now The Gulch, that is suburbia!

• Like 2

While I don't normally like the razing of older buildings such as the UMPH campus, I have to say that the renderings of the Turnberry Project do make up for it IMO. The Keeble building will be a loss, and the older warehouse is certainly cool...and even though we can't replace history, what is replacing these buildings will be superior architecturally IMO. Yes, I would rather this be an empty parking lot, but that's not the case. And as you say, it sets the standard. People on here complain about glass boxes all the time. Well....here is something that isn't a glass box. It has curve appeal.

I agree with everything you said, except I'm not sure what you meant by "Yes, I would rather this be an empty parking lot, but that's not the case"

Meaning that you'd be happy to keep the existing parking lots if that meant preserving the existing buildings, rather than losing both the buildings and parking lots in exchange for the new towers?  

Edited by ruraljuror

I agree with everything you said, except I'm not sure what you meant by "Yes, I would rather this be an empty parking lot, but that's not the case"

Meaning that you'd be happy to keep the existing parking lots if that meant preserving the existing buildings, rather than losing both the buildings and parking lots in exchange for the new towers?  

I'm assuming he means that he would rather the project was being built on an empty parking lot, rather than having to demo pre-existing buildings. I could be wrong, though.

• Like 1

I'm assuming he means that he would rather the project was being built on an empty parking lot, rather than having to demo pre-existing buildings. I could be wrong, though.

No, that's pretty much it. We have tons of parking lots and "better candidates" for redevelopment...and I would always like to see those lots be utilized first. But as we have found out, those lots are not always available.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When might the actual demolition of the UMPCH start?  In the next few months? 

It can't be determined to what point in time.  They have to release the structure upon completion of all haz-mat (asbestos, et.al.) removal before even thinking about demolition.  That in part depends a lot on the magnitude of the task of properly ventilating the structure and the extent of containment necessary for transport of such material away from the work site.

-==-

This project excites me because it is an upper-tier brand within Marriott. I don't think I would be nearly as excited if it was an ordinary Marriott, even though Nashville could certainly use one of those downtown, too.

Indeed, they could. I just, out of curiosity, checked Hotwire for rates this weekend in the CBD, West End, and Green Hills areas. Cheapest rate was for a two star in West End at $190 before taxes and fees.

A two star hotel in Manhattan can be had for that price. If that isn't telling, I don't know what is.

• Like 1

Again, supply and demand. The numbers of visitors to Nashville is on the rise and so are the number of hotel rooms. Maybe once some of these hotels come on line, the price may drop.

You did say just that nearly 2 years ago, and that is so on target.  That's a swami for you....

-==-