Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

6 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

Fixed that for you.

Definitely don't disagree with the idea of redeveloping the Country Delight Farms Dairy property, but would that property be a tough pitch to developers? Consider that it's right across from the Hustler Hollywood store and (soon) the relocated Deja Vu. Seems like that location could have some limitations. Or would the proximity to downtown and the Gulch outweigh the negatives?

Edited by Jamie Hall

19 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

Definitely don't disagree with the idea of redeveloping the Country Delight Farms Dairy property, but would that property be a tough pitch to developers? Consider that it's right across from the Hustler Hollywood store and (soon) the relocated Deja Vu. Seems like that location could have some limitations. Or would the proximity to downtown and the Gulch outweigh the negatives?

Being across the street from the existing Deja Vu didn't stop Hensler and Eakin from building 300 high-rise condos and a 285,000-square-foot office tower, respectively. As @volsfanwill said these businesses have to go somewhere.

Besides, the Country Delite property is best suited for adaptive reuse. I'm thinking artisan cheese bar, use the tanks to store craft beer. Or White Russians! The possibilities are endless.

• Like 2

I've never really understood people who think that a sex toy shop or strip club is an undesirable element that will bring down their property values.  I mean, if you live in a red light district, then say no more.  But otherwise, to me, it's just another business with a sign and a storefront from the outside.  If you don't like what's going on inside, don't go inside, and it won't affect you.  If the Deja Vu looked exactly the same as it does now, with the same name, but it was an artisan cheese shop instead, nobody would bat an eye.  For some reason, just the idea that there are naked breasts, or dildos, or what have you, inside a building that is near you, is enough to freak some people out.  I don't get it.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I've never really understood the thought that a sex toy shop or strip club is an undesirable element that will bring down property values.

Should it bring down property values? No. But the usual NIMBY argument against strip clubs always cites the alleged increased criminal activity (although I'm not aware of any statistics that support that). In reality, strict laws here actually make strip clubs relatively tame compared to other states.

It's inevitable for the dairy property to be redeveloped eventually. Put apartments or condos on the side away from Church Street, and put a couple of restaurants or sports bars and maybe office space on the Church Street side opposite Hustler Hollywood and Deja Vu. Seems like a plan that could keep everybody reasonably happy.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I've never really understood people who think that a sex toy shop or strip club is an undesirable element that will bring down their property values.  I mean, if you live in a red light district, then say no more.  But otherwise, to me, it's just another business with a sign and a storefront from the outside.  If you don't like what's going on inside, don't go inside, and it won't affect you.  If the Deja Vu looked exactly the same as it does now, with the same name, but it was an artisan cheese shop instead, nobody would bat an eye.  For some reason, just the idea that there are naked breasts, or dildos, or what have you, inside a building that is near you, is enough to freak some people out.  I don't get it.

If you're a parent, you don't want your children near some of the people who frequent those clubs. If you're a girl, you don't want to be near some of the people who visit those clubs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

At the same time it ain't no Chuckie Cheese.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

As a woman, I'm ok with the sex toy shop but disgusted by the strip clubs...but as long as they don't break any laws and are good neighbors...whatever.

That's totally fair, and kind of what I was getting at.  People don't have to like what goes on inside of every place of business, but as long as it's a legal business conducting legal activities that kind of keeps to itself and doesn't cause trouble, then people should accept their presence, in my opinion.

Edited by BnaBreaker

3 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

Should it bring down property values? No. But the usual NIMBY argument against strip clubs always cites the alleged increased criminal activity (although I'm not aware of any statistics that support that). In reality, strict laws here actually make strip clubs relatively tame compared to other states.

It's inevitable for the dairy property to be redeveloped eventually. Put apartments or condos on the side away from Church Street, and put a couple of restaurants or sports bars and maybe office space on the Church Street side opposite Hustler Hollywood and Deja Vu. Seems like a plan that could keep everybody reasonably happy.

Fair points, but I don't really see how a single strip club on it's own would raise crime levels.  I mean, I don't know how it works in TN, but I don't think most strip clubs around here even serve alcohol.  Now, some of them are very gaudy looking on the outside, with gold trim and red carpets and the like, and in that sense I'd say, yeah, it needs to fit into the neighborhood if it's going to be there.  But I guess I've just never understood the desire by some to keep them out of sight completely as if they don't exist.

Edited by BnaBreaker

5 hours ago, nashvylle said:

If you're a parent, you don't want your children near some of the people who frequent those clubs. If you're a girl, you don't want to be near some of the people who visit those clubs.

What types of people would those be, exactly?  I realize you specified "some," which I appreciate, but with respect, I think you're painting with a pretty broad brush here.  A lot of different types of people go to those establishments on occasion.  I mean, I don't really have a dog in the fight here as I cannot be counted among the regular patrons of either type of business (aside from the odd bachelor party,) but I'm just saying, I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to avoid 'those people' in your daily life, since they are just regular people.

In any case, my goodness, I definitely did NOT intend to steer this thread into a debate about strip clubs. lol...my apologies for doing exactly that.  The only reason I brought it up, is that my general attitude is simply that, as I touched on above, if a place of business fits into the neighborhood from a visual standpoint, is legal and conducting legal activities, keeps to itself, and doesn't invite crime, then in a real urban neighborhood, there should be room for it, regardless of what they're selling.  Whether or not folks generally approve of what is legally going on inside said business from an ethical standpoint, shouldn't factor into the scenario at all really.  That was my only point.  

And who knows?  Maybe Nashville isn't quite ready for those real deal urban neighborhoods yet, which are actual living breathing communities of diverse peoples with diverse tastes that need to be potentially open to all types of businesses (again, so long as it is legal and fits into the built fabric), and not just the pre-approved yuppie favorites like cheese shops and espresso bars.  But if it ever wants to be the type of place that is home to that sort of neighborhood, then a lot of attitudes are going to have to change around the city, in my opinion.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

Nashville used to have adult bookstores and movie houses all over the city.  In addition to those in downtown, practically all the major arteries leading out from downtown had an adult bookstore or strip club either on those streets or just one or two blocks off of them.  Dickerson Road, Nolensville Road and Charlotte Pike had multiple bookstores. I believe it was in the late 90's when Nashville passed no regulations and ordinances governing adult bookstores and strip clubs.  The concern from the owners of those establishments was that the city was practically forcing them out of business.  Which is probably true.  But, I think the internet hurt those businesses more than city regulations.

To tie this topic into this thread, for those who may not know, the location where the Walgreen's sits at Charlotte Pike and White Bridge Road, there used to be two adult book stores in that block.  Obrien Street which is part of that block used to be primarily residential.  Not to mention all the other residential streets off of Charlotte Pike in that area.  I don't recall there ever being any crime element associated with that area.  Also keep in mind there were other stores and service businesses that adjoined those adult bookstores and several others nearby.  Businesses that you might have a child with you if you were out an about running around.  Kroger was right up the street, as was a Circuit City Store.  I believe there was a carpet store and a vacuum repair shop next to the adult bookstores.  I say this to point out that people minded their own business and if you didn't go in to those adult bookstores you simply went on about your business.  

I think if you live in the urban core you have to co-exist with the diversity that is inevitably going to be there.  I think that's what makes it attractive.  Having a dairy processing business in the area with silos isn't really an issue.  As I stated it would be nice if they incorporated art onto those silos to make them into a piece of art for the neighborhood.  Besides, I see the dairy plant as being akin to a distillery and everyone wants a distillery in their neighborhood... :)  Okay I may have overreached... LOL

• Like 3

21 hours ago, nashvylle said:

It's also not a question of legality. Tons of legal establishments can have an effect on property values. Worshipping the devil is not illegal, but I wouldn't want to live next to its house of worship.

I'd love to live next to a Satanist 'church' but such things don't exist. Satanists don't believe in worship centers.

• Like 4

From the Nashville Post:

A Highway 70 South site located near Bellevue is being eyed for an apartment project that could include up to 80 units.

According to a Metro document, the property owners of 7447, 7483, 7487 and 7501 Highway 70 S. are requesting a rezoning to specific plan-residential for their parcels, which span a collective 4.47 acres.

A Thursday, May 25, Metro Planning Commission meeting is slated.

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 1.03.10 PM.png

• Like 1