Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

7 minutes ago, japan said:

I assume that is the future plans for this mall if they want to expand even more.

But they really should do it similar to what they did with the new Dillards, where everything they build from now on has parking below and shops on top...even if they have to go underground.  There's already 2-3 garages with nothing on top.  Waste of land in an area where land is primo.

You gotta remember that GH Mall is nothing more than a hodgepodge of band-aid upgrades and patchwork applied in various stages since the 1950s.  It was expanded during the mid '70s, again in the '80s, and then the '90s, ad-infinitum.  It's not as if it's Phipps Plaza, off Ga. SR-400, in the Buckhead commercial district, NNE of Atlanta, and which was built specifically as an enclosed mall built in the late '60s.  Even Wheaton Plaza of Wheaton MD (Georgia Ave and Viers Mill Road), first opened in 1960, appears to me to have been transformed into a shopping experience (rebranded as "Westfield Wheaton Mall"), with a better sense of continuity than that of Green Hills, which was nothing but a rather isolated country (suburban) shopping center, or what we'd call a "strip mall" today.
Back when Green Hills opened as a shopping center (GH S.C.) during the mid-1950s and for many years following that, every store faced the parking plaza on its north side.  It had been one of only two shopping "sensations" in the Nashville area at the time before the corporation limits had become consolidated with the county ─ that other having been Madison Square S.C.
All I'm saying is that, with 60 years of quilt-work on a once-flat-level, in-line structure, it's of no surprise that the Mall at Green Hills is somewhat theme-less and disjointed appearing.  Woolworth's was at the left-most end of the center back in the early days, and you could still buy records there in the late '50s / early '60s, what they call vinyl disks now. (the 45 RPM kind).

GreenHills_ShoppingCenter_late_1950s.jpg.b7a211187ab1586606dc52b73b520425.jpg

That is an amazing picture. Thanks for sharing!
  • Like 4

What makes you believe there is a bubble? I'm of the belief that the current run-up in prices has been driven by strong market and demographic fundamentals and as such doesn't qualify as a bubble. Prices may stabilize a bit as more product comes online, but I think the region's fundamentals aren't out of whack like they were in the mid-00's.

5 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

What makes you believe there is a bubble? I'm of the belief that the current run-up in prices has been driven by strong market and demographic fundamentals and as such doesn't qualify as a bubble. Prices may stabilize a bit as more product comes online, but I think the region's fundamentals aren't out of whack like they were in the mid-00's.

Let's not forget that these are not the only dynamics influencing housing prices. I have no doubt that recession level interest rates have fueled a housing bubble especially in Nashville and other rapidly gentrifying cities. Rates should have started creeping back up as soon as things began improving during the last crisis. Unfortunately, this is just now occurring.

Edited by claya91

4 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

This was the thought during the last bubble. Bubbles are hard to predict and hindsight makes it super easy to spot them. There are lots of people making lots of money in this city, but some of the prices do seem a bit silly. And bubbles don't have to burst, prices could simply stagnate for 10-15 years.

Prices are leveling out now. If you overprice, you aren't selling now. Buyers have more options than in the last couple years as inventory has caught up (especially on the fringes of the hottest neighborhoods). But when you hit the right price, the buyers start coming in droves. 

Also - much of these values are based on location as much as home quality. You can see it well in East Nashville. If you are in an area that is walkable to lots of retail, your values are going to be strong. But the parts of East and Inglewood that aren't now, and probably won't ever be conveniently walkable, prices are considerably lower

• Like 2

On 2/5/2017 at 4:22 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Just looked at a house over in the Nations for giggles. My take away is this: Come the next real estate bubble, these are the folks that will be up side down. The house was 2200 sq. ft. and 450,000. I was at a friend of mine that lives in Brentwood and his appraised at 510,000 and he had more than twice the house and it was built 3 years ago and brick.

To say I was "some what" impressed with the craftsmanship of the home in the Nations would be a bold faced lie. The home was very lack luster and on an almost 0 lot line. Detached garage, cheap carpet, wood flooring already scratched, all electric except for range and fireplace. Electric bill will be a shocker when it comes due.

It will take time for these homes to increase in value as they are asking probably twice as much as they are worth.

But if you are one of those people who got a home like that for $300K just 2 years ago then you are in pretty good shape. 

• Like 1

Boomberang mixed-use development (Two 3 story buildings with 8 residential units, 2,000 sq. ft. of office, 2,500 sq. ft. of restaurant, and 1,200 sq. ft. of retail) planned for quarter acre site along Centennial Ave. in The Nations.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/02/13/boomerang-project-eyed-former-johnnys-tavern-site-nations/97772448/

Boomberang render, The Nations, Feb 2017.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

The warehouse conversion into a mixed-use structure is nearly complete in the Hostetler development in The Nations.

Looking NW along Centennial Blvd. near intersection with 52nd Ave. North:

I spoke to the owner of the "old gas station bar" across the street from this place and he was saying that Soul Shine Pizza and a yoga studio are going to occupy parts of this building. Not sure how credible that is, probably just hear say... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, markhollin said:

Hostetler group moving forward with plans for another block of 28 town homes in The Nations:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20852284/townhome-project-eyed-for-the-nations-progresses

Now THAT's what you call in the "extreme Nations".  There remain traces of an industrial RR track spur that used to lead along what is now 60th Ave, and which ended up near Morrow Road.   It'll be a matter of time that the "Greater Nations" north of Charlotte will pick up at a faster pace, as HBV has been doing and as well as Sylvan Hts - NW midtown.

• Like 1

The TownPlace Suites Hotel mentioned several slots above on this page gets the variance that the developer Sam Patel (3H Group Hotels) had requested.  It will have  a 3 story garage at the base and 5 stories for the 160 rooms on top of that.  NO renderings yet.  This is the same developer involved with the ten story, 223-room dual-branded Tru by Hilton and Home2 Suites hotel project for a site in SoBro where Ken's Gold Club was located (just south of the Marriott TriBrand) on 5th Ave. South.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/02/14/3h-group-hotels-behind-project-former-haddox-pharmacy-site/97895530/