Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

On 3/2/2017 at 0:29 PM, markhollin said:

It's official: Predators and Metro announce the new 2-sheet ice rink and community center for Bellevue next to the new One Bellevue Place shopping plaza.

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/preds-excited-to-grow-hockey-with-bellevue-facility/c-287291192

cut-1.jpg

cut.jpg

Ugh!!! More waste of our tax dollars. 

Sylvan Station (3 stories, mixed-use office and retail) update.

Looking NW from Charlotte Ave. at CSX tracks crossing (across the street from Madison Mills site):

Sylvan Station 1, Feb 2017.JPG

Looking west along Charlotte Ave:

Sylvan Station 2, Feb 27, 2017.JPG

Update on retail center at Charlotte Ave and 45th Ave. North.  Looking NW from that near that intersection:

Retail Center, Charlotte and 45th, Feb 27, 2017.JPG

• Like 2

While doing a little digging, I came across these renderings and layout for a "Green Hills Project" on the Hastings website.  It very well could be an earlier imagining of what has become the Green & Little development at Crestmoor Rd. and Cleghorn Ave. that is to feature 2 hotels and office space in about these same allotments.  That project is currently being designed by Rabun, Rasche, Rector, Reese.  If anyone can confirm that this is the case, then I can move these images over to the Green & Little thread for archiving purposes. 

If it is NOT the case, then we have something new, mysterious, and fairly major on our hands. Two 8-story office buildings and a 12 story hotel in the between them.

Green Hills Hastings render 1, Mar 2017.png

Green Hills Hastings render 2, Mar 2017.png

Green Hills Hastings render 3, Mar 2017.png

1 hour ago, gannman said:

This was proposed by the previous owner of the Mall at Green Hills and was to be located where the new parking garage is on Cleghorn.

Random aside, I wish they would rename that entire amalgamation of roads.  I understand Crestmoor, Cleghorn, and HB Pike Cir had their own separate identity at one point, but with all the development going on on the back side of GH, would create less confusion.

Edited by claya91

On 2/1/2017 at 1:02 PM, rookzie said:

You gotta remember that GH Mall is nothing more than a hodgepodge of band-aid upgrades and patchwork applied in various stages since the 1950s.  It was expanded during the mid '70s, again in the '80s, and then the '90s, ad-infinitum.  It's not as if it's Phipps Plaza, off Ga. SR-400, in the Buckhead commercial district, NNE of Atlanta, and which was built specifically as an enclosed mall built in the late '60s.  Even Wheaton Plaza of Wheaton MD (Georgia Ave and Viers Mill Road), first opened in 1960, appears to me to have been transformed into a shopping experience (rebranded as "Westfield Wheaton Mall"), with a better sense of continuity than that of Green Hills, which was nothing but a rather isolated country (suburban) shopping center, or what we'd call a "strip mall" today.

Back when Green Hills opened as a shopping center (GH S.C.) during the mid-1950s and for many years following that, every store faced the parking plaza on its north side.  It had been one of only two shopping "sensations" in the Nashville area at the time before the corporation limits had become consolidated with the county ─ that other having been Madison Square S.C.

All I'm saying is that, with 60 years of quilt-work on a once-flat-level, in-line structure, it's of no surprise that the Mall at Green Hills is somewhat theme-less and disjointed appearing.  Woolworth's was at the left-most end of the center back in the early days, and you could still buy records there in the late '50s / early '60s, what they call vinyl disks now. (the 45 RPM kind).

GreenHills_ShoppingCenter_late_1950s.jpg

Don't know how I missed this Rookzie. Apx. what year was this taken?  Does that show the site for that brick professional building being excavated?  Shere is Cleghorn Avenue? Was that created simply as a connector street to get around the mall?  I guess I'm a little tripped up on the timeline. Your point that MGH is just a hodgepodge is well made. Thanks for posting. 

13 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Don't know how I missed this Rookzie. Apx. what year was this taken?  Does that show the site for that brick professional building being excavated?  Shere is Cleghorn Avenue? Was that created simply as a connector street to get around the mall?  I guess I'm a little tripped up on the timeline. Your point that MGH is just a hodgepodge is well made. Thanks for posting. 

Sometime between 1955 and 1959, but most likely before 1958 or so.  I say that because the strip-mall (open-air shopping center) opened during the mid-'50s, but the former Southern Bell Telephone office building, a portion of which remains today prior to the razing of much of it during the mid-2000s, would occupy most of that then-shown-vacant, roughly quadrilateral space along that roadway adjoining the right side of the parking plaza.  Southern Bell was completed around late 1959, early 1960.

EDIT:  I forgot to answer about Cleghorn.  I'm unable to determine when it was built, so I'm not even in position to theorize it's purpose.  I do know that Southern Bell had parking in the rear (west side), whether or not Cleghorn had existed upon its opening.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

So glad that this site is being re-purposed for office space (and some retail). This will only help the Charlotte Ave corridor and will give the area a nice face lift. 

Office space is almost a cant miss development in this town in my opinion. Companies, no matter the size, are always looking for any amount of space. 

Edited by Andrew_3289
  • Like 1

Thanks Rookzie. 

It's a bit surprising to me that Green Hills was that sparsely developed as "recently" as 1960 (those houses in the background are new). What is still fairly rural in the photo is really not far from downtown. You can get a sense that Nashville did not really have a built core like larger cities at the time, that she has caught up to since then. Just one more indicator of how much Nashville has grown since then, albeit mostly through suburban sprawl. 

49 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Thanks Rookzie. 

It's a bit surprising to me that Green Hills was that sparsely developed as "recently" as 1960 (those houses in the background are new). What is still fairly rural in the photo is really not far from downtown. You can get a sense that Nashville did not really have a built core like larger cities at the time, that she has caught up to since then. Just one more indicator of how much Nashville has grown since then, albeit mostly through suburban sprawl. 

Actually, though, prior to the 1963 city-county consolidation, Woodmont - Green Hills was considered, like other "near" contiguous districts, to be unincorporated urban in nature.  As such, and being as greater Nashville always has been automobile-centric, while the old-core grid of the city is rather dense, the large portion of the area that was annexed in the 1960s was developed in more of a suburban fashion from that point on.

If you examine the core from your car, you'll notice that in "combing" the neighborhoods south and southwesterly, the old urban-stock with mid-block alleys, tends to end abruptly near Christ the King Church on Belmont Blvd, and that this follows a jagged pattern around the old core as a whole, with some exceptions, of course.  A bit of early post-WW-II spots of tract-housing development ensued to a lesser extent throughout the old city, as in-fill back then, and the old-new houses you see in that photo background, were early post-war on Castleman, Warfield, and Kimbark, having been built mostly as duplexes with rock foundations, while the somewhat newer bungalows on Green Hills Circle and Bandywood Dr. had been nearly all single-family dwellings.  Again, all without any consideration for alleys and even less for sidewalks.  Generally for this area, the former Tennessee Central RR belt-line RoW (I-440) forms the still rather discrete boundary between old traditional and sprawl.

As you mentioned though, only relatively recently has the city begun to undergo significant catch-up.

• Like 3