Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/02/27/nashville-predators-metro-plan-new-ice-center-bellevue/98496822/

The NHL’s Nashville Predators and Metro government have reached a preliminary agreement for a new community hockey facility with two ice rinks as part of the ongoing redevelopment at the site of the old Bellevue Center mall.

• Like 3

This is the location that the UT Health and Science Campus is supposed to go. I think the name is The Imperial towers and has been in a state of disrepair for quiet sometime and was slated for demo as Daniel said. Soon, maybe soon, hopefully real soon, the old girl will come down, although I hate to lose a building of that height, but somethings just have to happen.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Andrew_3289 said:

Its in the suburbs, who cares about surface parking out there? 

The entire 'sea of asphalt' trend in general needs to go the way of the dodo regardless of geography.  I mean I know it costs more money to build parking structures and whatnot, but look at that rendering.  It is just such an absurdly irresponsible and inefficient usage of land.  You could fit half of downtown in that space!  

1 hour ago, claya91 said:

Land simply isn't scarce enough to warrant garage parking; this isn't Green Hills.

Look, I realize the developers have to turn a profit.  That always seems to be the rationalization for terrible design in Nashville.  I also realize that this development is better than an abandoned mall, although that isn't a particularly high bar.  This isn't that close to the core, so I'm not saying anything in Bellevue needs to look like it was transplanted from Brooklyn.  But there's got to be some sense of moderation, and just speaking generally, I would argue that land is more than scarce enough to warrant at least a basic sense of responsibility toward land management.  That is the logic that helped breed sprawl to begin with.  'Why look at all this unused open space and farmland and wilderness!  We can build and build to our heart's content!'  I figured we would have learned by now that waiting to address a problem until we are in dire straights is a bad strategy.  We are one of the least dense cities in the country (and I'm talking about the built up area, not density figures that include the northern part of the county) but even still, to my knowledge there really isn't exactly a ton of developable land left in Davidson County.  At some point, we're going to have to get serious about how we utilize what land we have, because we can't just sprawl out forever.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

Variance sought for Bells Bluff Apartments, a 402 unit complex (17 buildings in the 4 story range) for 44 acre site off of Cabot Drive north of Charlotte Pike and near theCumberland River in West Nashville:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/03/02/420-unit-west-nashville-apartment-project-moving-forward/98644558/

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 8.19.44 AM.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Look, I realize the developers have to turn a profit.  That always seems to be the rationalization for terrible design in Nashville.  I also realize that this development is better than an abandoned mall, although that isn't a particularly high bar.  This isn't that close to the core, so I'm not saying anything in Bellevue needs to look like it was transplanted from Brooklyn.  But there's got to be some sense of moderation, and just speaking generally, I would argue that land is more than scarce enough to warrant at least a basic sense of responsibility toward land management.  That is the logic that helped breed sprawl to begin with.  'Why look at all this unused open space and farmland and wilderness!  We can build and build to our heart's content!'  I figured we would have learned by now that waiting to address a problem until we are in dire straights is a bad strategy.  We are one of the least dense cities in the country (and I'm talking about the built up area, not density figures that include the northern part of the county) but even still, to my knowledge there really isn't exactly a ton of developable land left in Davidson County.  At some point, we're going to have to get serious about how we utilize what land we have, because we can't just sprawl out forever.

you can always build a parking garage on top of a surface lot if need be. The land is still there, its just not needed at this point so you mine as well put some extra parking there. Down the road if you want to add another store in the parking lot, that's very doable. 

• Like 3

And do some landscaping for Gods sake! I have noticed that with a lot of houses going up in Nashville. You will see a very expensive home and the surrounding area is so run down looking. No sidewalks, unkept landscaping or lack of it, etc. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TNinVB said:

And do some landscaping for Gods sake! I have noticed that with a lot of houses going up in Nashville. You will see a very expensive home and the surrounding area is so run down looking. No sidewalks, unkept landscaping or lack of it, etc. 

Yeah, it is absolutely absurd how many residential neighborhoods in Nashville are completely devoid of sidewalks.  

• Like 2