Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Apparently I'm paying way too much for car insurance. 

Also, a lot of new Yorkers seem to be pretty salty over the move. NY Post:

Global money manager AllianceBernstein will move its headquarters and 1,050 jobs to Nashville — yep, the home of country music and mostly flyover country to many New Yorkers. Socially conscious liberals may wrinkle their noses at the very idea of moving to Tennessee — where Davy Crockett was born on a mountaintop... Some may consider it to have a better quality of life — if going to the Grand Ole Opry beats Broadway theater."

Most New Yorkers' comments on these recent articles would have you think that we're all living in log cabins and plucking the banjo barefoot with barley in our mouths. I'm from NJ/NYC originally and getting a kick out of this. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Someone has their numbers wrong on the car insurance.  My basic liability is more than that and if you have a car note add colision. Comprehensive, uninsured motorist. I have never had car insurance that cheap, not even 40 years ago.

I have basic liability and mine is cheaper by about $150 annually with a 2016

34 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Great season, terrible ending. We’re built to contend for years though. 

Absolutely... that is the silver lining for sure.  We will be at or near the top of the West for the next three seasons at least... problem is... so will Winnipeg.  haha... we'll get em one of these years.  So glad we have a keeper like Saros waiting in the wings when Pekka decides to hang it up.  He is first class.  

• Like 4

On 5/3/2018 at 2:43 PM, Ingram said:

Anyone with basic sense can see it coming. It's coming in the form of an L.A. Rams/Chargers stadium where there will be this( (Nashville Yards + River North) x 20) type of development. That is probably the reason why they did not want the soccer stadium next to the football stadium. They already have a preliminary plan for that area with regards to a new stadium for the football team. The latest they'll wait before asking for a new football stadium is 2035. It will probably be much sooner though.

I say headlines start in 2023 and an ask in 2025 (lease ends in 2028 I believe).

what I want is to renovate the existing stadium and add a roof. Miami dolphins did this. Green Bay renovated their stadium substantially, and Kansas City, to name a few. 

Below is what Cleveland looked at doing, but never did. We could do this. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1340833-cleveland-browns-is-the-owner-in-waiting-trying-to-put-a-lid-on-city-officials

6 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

First and second lines are intact, defense is set for years.  Obviously there will be questions around the bottom six but the biggest one is around goaltending.   Pekka, where you at?

Pekka has somewhat of a quicksand problem when it comes to the playoffs, but as someone who remembers the half empty arena, negative Canadian news articles on Nashville, and the team on the way out, I will always be grateful for pekka because he has taken us to the playoffs on his back for about 8 seasons, and he alone has done so much for the franchise. Praying he can hoist the cup for Nashville next year. 

Not sure about Sarros but hoping he can be like LA Kings’ Jonathan Quick. 

Go Preds.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

First and second lines are intact, defense is set for years.  Obviously there will be questions around the bottom six but the biggest one is around goaltending.   Pekka, where you at?

Not so fast....Ellis possibly gone....stories out there how Edmonton covets him for an Oiler.

The state Department of Economic and Community Development has agreed to give $17.5 million to AllianceBernstein, tied to the 1,050-job headquarters the firm announced this month.  The five-member State Funding Board is set to formally approve the grant at a May 16 meeting.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/05/11/bigger-than-bridgestone-state-tees-up-grant-for.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

The state Department of Economic and Community Development has agreed to give $17.5 million to AllianceBernstein, tied to the 1,050-job headquarters the firm announced this month.  The five-member State Funding Board is set to formally approve the grant at a May 16 meeting.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/05/11/bigger-than-bridgestone-state-tees-up-grant-for.html

Wow, seriously? Why are they giving this money after they already have announced their move? I don't usually say this but this seems like a huge dose of corporate welfare to a company that hardly needs it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Wow, seriously? Why are they giving this money after they already have announced their move? I don't usually say this but this seems like a huge dose of corporate welfare to a company that hardly needs it. 

It’d be great if companies that hardly needed incentives never demanded them, but it’s the world we live in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

It’d be great if companies that hardly needed incentives never demanded them, but it’s the world we live in. 

In a way, they have to ask for them. They have a fidiciary respndibility to their shareholders, and if they can improve profits they have the responsibility to do so. That doesn’t make these handouts right, but I think the only entity that can stop this is the federal governement. 

• Like 2