Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

12 hours ago, volsfanwill said:

I really think that atmospheric conditions contributed to the concert issue. otherwise other concerts would have caused the same issue in the past. 

Just like being in a large venue with acoustic material on the ceiling. The clouds spread the sound over a larger area. Just a guess on my part.

20 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

It's one thing to complain when you live right down town and the event is 100 yards away. Many in East Nashville bought their homes before Ascend was built. There is only so much homework you can do when buying or renting on everything that may possibly come up in the future.

I had no idea that the speedway could be heard in 12 South when we bought our house. There was no checklist on beware these annoyances that you don't get to complain about.  I'm not complaining about it now, but some nights you can hear it with doors closed and the TV up loud. Sometimes, I guess when the weather is better, you don't hear it, inside, at all.

I do want to ask why is anyone who complains automatically wrong and to be dismissed or ridiculed. Empathy isn't a sin and might come in handy when you need support for your next cause. Transportation failed, in part, due to folks refusing to see things from other points of view.

I don't think people who complain are being dismissed, here or elsewhere. So far their concerns have been picked up and amplified to an almost comical extent by nearly every local media outlet. If you were tracking this from the outside you'd have to assume this was some kind of significant metro issue on par with the mayoral race or something.

If we were able to have measured debates any more, we could admit that we're all going to be fine either way and this is just a debate about priorities and tradeoffs. There's a sliding scale between (A) our ability to have a cool open air venue downtown with world class musical acts, and (B) rigorously protecting residential areas near the river from loud noises.  It's not dismissing people or ridiculing them to make the case for Ascend, or to push back against the exaggerated, apocalyptic tone that's being employed against it. On facebook people have (as usual) echo chambered this up the outrage spectrum until they've convinced themselves it's a civil rights issue for persecuted local homeowners. Which is a joke, considering that anyone who owns a house within hearing range of Ascend has almost certainly pocketed somewhere north of $100,000 in price appreciation over the last few years *specifically based on their proximity to downtown* (and the amenities that are provided there).

All that said, I feel your pain on the speedway; which a pretty different scenario if you ask me. Roaring engines are not music (no matter what the gearheads say), and that seems like a great example of a scenario where the tradeoffs are not worth it, i.e. speedway races are not an amenity that justifies the associated noise disturbances. Do they have specific decibel limits, mandated sound monitoring, and fines for violations over there as Ascend does?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I walk at lunch every day and just noticed these things buzzing around.  Looks fun.  I guess if you see one sitting around you can just use it?  I saw one leaning again a bar on Broadway and wondered if someone can use it or does it still belong to the previous renter?  Anyways, they go pretty fast.  I didn't have issue with it but I can see some accidents in the future with the volume of people on foot.

1 hour ago, AronG said:

I don't think people who complain are being dismissed, here or elsewhere. So far their concerns have been picked up and amplified to an almost comical extent by nearly every local media outlet. If you were tracking this from the outside you'd have to assume this was some kind of significant metro issue on par with the mayoral race or something.

If we were able to have measured debates any more, we could admit that we're all going to be fine either way and this is just a debate about priorities and tradeoffs. There's a sliding scale between (A) our ability to have a cool open air venue downtown with world class musical acts, and (B) rigorously protecting residential areas near the river from loud noises.  It's not dismissing people or ridiculing them to make the case for Ascend, or to push back against the exaggerated, apocalyptic tone that's being employed against it. On facebook people have (as usual) echo chambered this up the outrage spectrum until they've convinced themselves it's a civil rights issue for persecuted local homeowners. Which is a joke, considering that anyone who owns a house within hearing range of Ascend has almost certainly pocketed somewhere north of $100,000 in price appreciation over the last few years *specifically based on their proximity to downtown* (and the amenities that are provided there).

All that said, I feel your pain on the speedway; which a pretty different scenario if you ask me. Roaring engines are not music (no matter what the gearheads say), and that seems like a great example of a scenario where the tradeoffs are not worth it, i.e. speedway races are not an amenity that justifies the associated noise disturbances. Do they have specific decibel limits, mandated sound monitoring, and fines for violations over there as Ascend does?

I surrender.

Edited by Nash_12South

46 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I walk at lunch every day and just noticed these things buzzing around.  Looks fun.  I guess if you see one sitting around you can just use it?  I saw one leaning again a bar on Broadway and wondered if someone can use it or does it still belong to the previous renter?  Anyways, they go pretty fast.  I didn't have issue with it but I can see some accidents in the future with the volume of people on foot.

I think you just abandon it when done.  They are 15c/minute so I wouldn't think anyone would try to save one while having lunch as long as there are more nearby.

I went running near VU around 5pm yesterday and saw at least 9 of these being ridden and several other parked.  At least half of those being ridden were on the sidewalk.  I think that is what Metro is concerned about as well as the fact that after a ride they are just left on the sidewalk for people to trip over.  Their model of having people go out to collect/recharge them every day sounds like a good way to make even less money than being an Uber/Lyft driver.  "oxo" electric bicycles have been showing up in our neighborhood recently as well, but I guess people are keeping them off the sidewalk or they haven't received as many complaints as bird has.  

Edited by ajs
more info
  • Like 1

Picking them all up every night for charging seems like a horrible business model logistically speaking. Is there a limit to where you can ride them? I kinda want to rent one and ride as far away from downtown as a full charge will let me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think the Bird scooters are a cool idea and could play a role in getting people around the most urban parts of Nashville.  However,  I think there needs to be a healthy bit of regulations in place to protect the interests of the company, customers, and bystanders. Whatever mass transit idea actually comes to fruition, we will still have the first mile/last mile problem.  Something like this or bike sharing or Segways could fill that void and allow people to get to their transit stops quickly. Maybe these could be limited to bike lanes where they are available or only allow them on the north or west sidewalks along roads. Maybe there should be a company provided docking station or storage apparatus every 1/8th mile.  I hate to see an idea like this just wither without giving it an appropriate chance. 

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

I guess the cease and desist order was just to stop using them on sidewalks and blocking rights of way.    I noticed some kids tooling around on them on the streets in Germantown last night, so looks like the company is still operating.    

If I remember correctly I think they have like 2 weeks to comply with the order. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

Wonder where it would be held?  NHL Playoffs could conflict as that weekend is typically the start of the second round.

Outside on Broadway or Ascend Amphitheatre is my guess... Set up like the uniform reveal 

Edited by nashvylle

8 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Outside on Broadway or Ascend Amphitheatre is my guess... Set up like the uniform reveal 

Ascend is way too small. It would have to be Bridgestone or the MCC, most likely Bridgestone. It’d be tricky to schedule around the NHL.