Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, volsfanwill said:

real quick, anyone have a rough estimate of apartment and condo units  proposed and under construction within 440?

Im trying to explain to a friend from DC how much we are growing. 

5-10,000? I haven’t counted but just thinking of the Sobro projected residential buildings, Germantown, midtown, Capitol view, endeavor, etc. A crap ton, whatever the number. Especially for such a relatively small area. 

1 hour ago, volsfanwill said:

real quick, anyone have a rough estimate of apartment and condo units  proposed and under construction within 440?

Im trying to explain to a friend from DC how much we are growing. 

Somewhere between 72 and 18 gigajillion, I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

it started raining eight years ago today.

edit: this is the area that's currently whitsett park at thompson ln x old glenrose rd.

second edit: the white thing just below the red awning is the roof of a car.

HRKZmsU.jpg

Edited by e-dub
  • Like 2

At the time this happened I was 11 years old, and I was in new york city so I only watched the horrors of this event from abroad. However, I was not entirely safe, as me and my grandma were in Times square the night the 2010 car bomb was supposed to go off, which occurred within the same weekend. Had it gone off, I would not be a member of this forum now possibly.

So basically this weekend 8 years ago for me was a close one lol

• Like 2

I flew to Chicago that morning and caught a train across country to Seattle the next day. There was almost no news of any sort on the train for the two day ride. When I arrived in Seattle there wasn’t really any coverage of the flood as there was something else that had happened and it seemed to be all that was on the news there. When I finally arrived home all the water was gone but I got a good picture of how it was from all my co-workers. I’ve always been fascinated with floods and extreme weather and ended up missing the big one.

And for me, personally, Shure has announced they're discontinuing all Shure Phono products as of this summer. They're the only cartridges and stylii I've used for the past 20 years. This day has been a bloodbath, lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Ugh... what a terrible night for Nashville.  First, the transit referendum fails miserably, and then the Predators give up a horrendous seven goals in two periods to give up game 3. 

Yup, last night,  like all opposing goalies, sucked...

Edited by timmay143

My question got buried in an active thread so I’m posting here because I’d like to get y’alls thoughts about “tax fatigue” with other possible projects:

Just curious... if the transit plan would have passed, how (if at all) would that affect any "massive" tax proposals for the future?  We all know that a new stadium for the Titans is around the corner.  That PSC property... would re-purposing that site require tax dollars of some sort?  Upgrades to Bridgestone arena, MLS stadium, tax incentives to future HQ re-locations, gulch pedestrian bridge... and whatever else I am not thinking of.   What if a MLB team wants to re-locate here?

Don't get me wrong.  I am not arguing "priorities".  I am just curious as to how taxed out this city would be with other big tax projects that may be coming up as well.

1 hour ago, TheRaglander said:

My question got buried in an active thread so I’m posting here because I’d like to get y’alls thoughts about “tax fatigue” with other possible projects:

Just curious... if the transit plan would have passed, how (if at all) would that affect any "massive" tax proposals for the future?  We all know that a new stadium for the Titans is around the corner.  That PSC property... would re-purposing that site require tax dollars of some sort?  Upgrades to Bridgestone arena, MLS stadium, tax incentives to future HQ re-locations, gulch pedestrian bridge... and whatever else I am not thinking of.   What if a MLB team wants to re-locate here?

Don't get me wrong.  I am not arguing "priorities".  I am just curious as to how taxed out this city would be with other big tax projects that may be coming up as well.

You have to look at the funding structures for each project on it's own.  For a recent upgrade to Nissan stadium a tax was added to tickets. The same would work for Bridgestone. The Gulch bridge is TIF. Relocations are often a combination of state and local funds/ money per worker hired/ tax abatements.  The transit plan would not have affected any of these tools. 

A new stadium for the Titan's would require substantial investment by team ownership in my opinion. I do not know if current ownership would be willing to do this. Titans may shop the team to other cities when that time comes imo. 

17 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

Definitely clears things up.  Thanks for the responses.  Now, let’s shoot for that 1.6 billion dollar dome Titan Stadium so we can get the final four and the super bowl!  

Anyone with basic sense can see it coming. It's coming in the form of an L.A. Rams/Chargers stadium where there will be this( (Nashville Yards + River North) x 20) type of development. That is probably the reason why they did not want the soccer stadium next to the football stadium. They already have a preliminary plan for that area with regards to a new stadium for the football team. The latest they'll wait before asking for a new football stadium is 2035. It will probably be much sooner though.

Edited by Ingram

On 5/1/2018 at 9:09 PM, e-dub said:

I think it had to do more with the fact that there wasn't any salacious material to cover.

It was overshadowed by the Deepwater Horizon explosion in the Gulf that happened on April 20. They spent several days trying to cap the well and stop the spill from totally destroying the Gulf beaches, so it became must-see TV for a while. Any other year, the Nashville flood would've been top news for several days.

• Like 3