Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, Jamie Hall said:

It was overshadowed by the Deepwater Horizon explosion in the Gulf that happened on April 20. They spent several days trying to cap the well and stop the spill from totally destroying the Gulf beaches, so it became must-see TV for a while. Any other year, the Nashville flood would've been top news for several days.

I went to gulf shores a week or so after that spill and the beaches were fine and beautiful. Nobody was there (all scared off) so my brother and I basically had the beaches to ourselves. The city has such an interest in the beaches being clean and open that they were dragging the beaches and doing insane cleanup every morning as the tide receded, so we didn’t see a drop of oil. 

On 5/1/2018 at 7:53 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I remember we were at the forum meet that day at Casablanca, aka Bond, aka Starbucks in the Gulch. Pouring down.

Sorry I missed the meeting.  That Saturday night, my wife and daughter were at Schermerhorn for a piano concerto.  They stayed long enough to see the Steinway concert grand lowered beneath the stage.  Later that night, the grand piano was floating upside down in the basement.  A few years ago we talked so someone at the Steinway store who told us about the piano's restoration.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

Sorry I missed the meeting.  That Saturday night, my wife and daughter were at Schermerhorn for a piano concerto.  They stayed long enough to see the Steinway concert grand lowered beneath the stage.  Later that night, the grand piano was floating upside down in the basement.  A few years ago we talked so someone at the Steinway store who told us about the piano's restoration.

WOW! I was there that night also

• Like 1

The city spends $52,000,000 ($7,000,000 illegally) to build a downtown amphitheater and now they want to ban rock (undefined) concerts on weekdays!?@ ha

Noise is part of living downtown/close-in. If you want tranquility Spring Hill beckons. 

I am inundated with noise...and have gotten used to it as part of the urban background -  police and fire sirens, city buses, loud music, construction, blasting, horns, drunk singing, and random homeless craziness....

my advice is to embrace the horror....ha
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/05/07/east-nashville-residents-complain-over-noisy-beck-concert-ascend-amphitheater/586252002/

I live about a 1.5 miles from the amphitheater and from inside my house with the TV on I could hear it clearly enough to tell which songs he was playing. I actually turned my TV up to drown it out.  It seemed to be louder than most concerts coming from Ascend but I like Beck so I didn't mind this time. 

1 hour ago, nashville_bound said:

The city spends $52,000,000 ($7,000,000 illegally) to build a downtown amphitheater and now they want to ban rock (undefined) concerts on weekdays!?@ ha

Noise is part of living downtown/close-in. If you want tranquility Spring Hill beckons. 

I am inundated with noise...and have gotten used to it as part of the urban background -  police and fire sirens, city buses, loud music, construction, blasting, horns, drunk singing, and random homeless craziness....

my advice is to embrace the horror....ha
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/05/07/east-nashville-residents-complain-over-noisy-beck-concert-ascend-amphitheater/586252002/

There have to be some rules for noise and mechanisms for enforcing them that sting. Shutting it down, heavy fines.  You don’t like the rules, have your concert indoors. 

5 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

The city spends $52,000,000 ($7,000,000 illegally) to build a downtown amphitheater

Metro Council did approve redirecting the flood money to the amphitheater project during a council meeting on July 16, 2013; though they may not have been aware of it, since the project was listed as “civic open space with improvements” in the document the council approved, “Action Plan for Disaster Recovery, Amendment Three, and Utilizing Supplemental CDBG Disaster Recovery Funding.”

Just because the council didn’t read/understand what they were voting on doesn’t make it illegal. Sounds like a bunch of people trying to cover their asses. 

http://www.wsmv.com/story/38117185/money-for-flood-recovery-used-for-design-of-public-facility

• Like 1

I can assure you it was much louder and more disruptive than a next door neighbor mowing their lawn.  I live on a busy street that has the constant hum of pedestrians, traffic and emergency response vehicles. It's one thing to have a few emergency vehicles go by a few times an hour with sirens blaring or fireworks that go for 20 minutes, it's quite another to have the sustained level of noise pollution we were getting last night. 

As far as hearing world class music, it's mostly the just the low end that cuts through. Didn't bother me that much but I can see how people that have kids or have to be up early for work would have a problem with it. 

It's usually not that bad so maybe Beck was just rocking extra hard.

Edited by whatwhat
*change extra had to extra hard
  • Like 1

What's interesting is I've seen numerous complaints about "sprawl" and lack of "density" because people choose to live in Brentwood and Cool Springs instead of the "urban core". Yet when people start living there they are to be ridiculed because they and their children don't want noise blaring at all hours of the night. This is erratic.

Edited by Ingram

What may be a problem for Live Nation is that, I would guess, 8 out of 10 concerts likely break the noise rules (to a degree)  with minimal complaints. For the next while there will be a lot more attention paid and, I would guess, the rules enforced. Live Nation could avoid this with a little more due diligence. 

There may be only nine signatures to ban rock concerts, but if you brought the petition to doors in East Nashville, today, many would sign it. It may be overblown, but overblown can snowball. 

2 hours ago, AronG said:

A depressing fact of our current state of affairs is that people seem to be more motivated and empowered to weigh in on civic issues when they're cranky than when they're supportive. 

I think you just summed up the "New Nashville" vs. "Old Nashville" crowds. This is frustratingly true. 

12 hours ago, whatwhat said:

It's usually not that bad so maybe Beck was just rocking extra hard.

I agree. I have never heard the Ascend from where I live on Union St. but that night I opened the windows and looked out to investigate. 

I can heard the announcer every time the Sounds play. But do I think to complain? No.

2 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

You know what I did?  Cracked a beer and sat on the porch.  My life did not end that night, oddly enough.

Live On The Green is held right outside my window. We have friends over to watch the show from our living room. I don't understand the mentality of people who call to complain about downtown events. Get over yourselves.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's one thing to complain when you live right down town and the event is 100 yards away. Many in East Nashville bought their homes before Ascend was built. There is only so much homework you can do when buying or renting on everything that may possibly come up in the future.

I had no idea that the speedway could be heard in 12 South when we bought our house. There was no checklist on beware these annoyances that you don't get to complain about.  I'm not complaining about it now, but some nights you can hear it with doors closed and the TV up loud. Sometimes, I guess when the weather is better, you don't hear it, inside, at all.

I do want to ask why is anyone who complains automatically wrong and to be dismissed or ridiculed. Empathy isn't a sin and might come in handy when you need support for your next cause. Transportation failed, in part, due to folks refusing to see things from other points of view.

Edited by Nash_12South

Pat Emery and Fred Hall, who formed the Hall Emery Company last year to partnered last year to develop more projects (mostly office) did an interview for NBJ today.  I liked this quote from Hall:

"If people think Nashville has peaked, they're wrong. I'm investing in Nashville anytime a property comes up."

They hinted that they are particularly bullish on Midtown, Brentwood, and Cool Springs.  Apparently they have another big one in the Cool Springs area up their sleeve that will be announced in the near future.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/05/08/on-tap-for-pat-emerys-new-firm-150m-fund-another.html?ana=twt

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I do want to ask why is anyone who complains automatically wrong and to be dismissed or ridiculed. Empathy isn't a sin and might come in handy when you need support for your next cause. Transportation failed, in part, due to folks refusing to see things from other points of view.

Interesting no one answered your question.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 2