The SoBro | 32 stories 345 ft | 3rd & Demonbreun

smeagolsfree

Bump this thread up for discussion as construction starts in a scant few weeks once Tony closes on the land and McHugh gets moved into their new digs. There is a dumpster outside their offices so I am assuming they are doing build out of their offices. I can see this breaking ground now by June 1st. 

Since the diner is well underway with foundation work, The Sobro should not interfere at all.

• Like 1

That is great news, it will have a huge impact on the skyline. 

It will.  And if this rendering is the one that will be built, it will add a unique building shape to the skyline to distract from the rather boxy (sorry, guys) Encore and the hideous Hyatt Place.  Which direction will the curvy side face?  That's my favorite part.  (Not so much the pedestal sticking out in front of it, though.)  Maybe the glass exterior material will be of similar quality to Pinnacle to create a vision of a crystal city at the south end of the skyline.  I can't wait to see that from atop the hill at 10th/Shelby as I sit stuck in school-zone traffic every morning.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3

I think I am the only one who liked ther earlier rendering over the one above...its still a beautiful building, I just favored the other drawing more.

I don't mind the current one, but I too liked to first one as well.  Goes with my, I'll take 1 of everything personality.  Gets me into trouble sometimes :(

I think I am the only one who liked ther earlier rendering over the one above...its still a beautiful building, I just favored the other drawing more.

I liked the first one better too.  I really loved the base, in particular. 

Which direction will the curvy side face?  That's my favorite part.  (Not so much the pedestal sticking out in front of it, though.).

Hmm. I asked the same question a few months back and I think the group consensus was that this view is the Demonbreun elevation with the little green structure in the front right foreground being the former 24 hr diner building.

Our firm owns the adjacent site, the diner is another property.  The SoBro will sandwiched in between.  Tony transferred the land for the SoBro last summer to Chicago based WMG Realty Holding Company, LLC a Magellan entity which includes Wanxing America Real Estate Group (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130716/BUSINESS01/307160122/-1/NLETTER04/Giarratana--partners-seal-deal-to-pursue-32-story-SoBro-tower?source=nletter-breakingnews).  Lowenberg is owned by Magellan (http://www.magellandevelopment.com/company/affiliates/architectural/).  I expect a construction start very soon.

Sorry Michael, I was told you owned this lot as well. I knew you owned the adjacent lot. So, this begs the question, when are you going to develop your lot? How long are you going to keep that expansive surface lot? Even you must agree, that lot is better served with a  development, not surface parking.

In regards to Myridi's statement, yes I remain cautiously optimistic about the Sobro, but until I see a crane, I have my doubts. This tower was announced almost 3 years ago, so I do not keep my hopes up.

I agree. Maybe if we could see more renderings of the current design it would help. I definitely liked the base of the first version the best.

Sorry Michael, I was told you owned this lot as well. I knew you owned the adjacent lot. So, this begs the question, when are you going to develop your lot? How long are you going to keep that expansive surface lot? Even you must agree, that lot is better served with a  development, not surface parking.

I believe the adjacent lot Michael referred to is The Listening Room. The Sobro will be wedged in between that building and the diner.

In regards to Myridi's statement, yes I remain cautiously optimistic about the Sobro, but until I see a crane, I have my doubts. This tower was announced almost 3 years ago, so I do not keep my hopes up.

Our firm owns the surface lot as well that fronts KVB at 2nd.  I agree that it is better served with development.  That said, there is no pressure.  Our focus is on the surface lot at 1st and Demonbreun, across from the proposed SoBro.

Thanks Michael.

Am I correct in assuming that if developers wanted, SoBro could basically become as dense as the CBD?  I'm not saying it will...but with there being quite a few empty lots and so many low rise buildings with tenants that would consider moving for the right price...it seems we could fit 50 more high-rise buildings into the loop if needed.