The SoBro | 32 stories 345 ft | 3rd & Demonbreun

smeagolsfree

HGI is full steam ahead at this point. Starting on the second floor on the KVB side, first floor on the back side is still quite slow at this point. Still pouring footers.

It's about time!  That and the the 18th/West End hotels seem to have taken forever getting started.  And it's not as though either one is St. Peter's Basilica or some engineering or architectual masterpiece. 

It's about time!  That and the the 18th/West End hotels seem to have taken forever getting started.  And it's not as though either one is St. Peter's Basilica or some engineering or architectual masterpiece. 

They had some issue with fractured rock. I think the soil content held them back a bit getting to bedrock. Bob was up there with me after the last forum meet, and he agreed. The rock strata looked different than limestone deposits we have seen in other parts of the city.

Walked by the site last night, and nothing; but I look for signage, fencing, or something of that note to appear soon. It would not surprise me if the construction trailers go on the site of Mrs. Crows building. She received her permit 6 months ago and nothing has happened. Nothing has been said of this 4 story diner in a long while. Maybe she went ahead and sold to Tony? Who knows, but as soon as we see new construction trailers set up with in a block, we will know something is happening.

I think now its only a matter of hours before something happens.

I noticed this morning that someone has put up temporary fencing around the parking area behind the little Crow building.   I'm not sure when that went up, maybe it's been there, but suggests something's about to happen.  

That fencing has been there for a few months and believe it's for special monthly parkers, if I recall correctly. 

I did notice even more fresh spray paint markings around the site today. Obviously things are really moving behind the scenes and with others on here having seen folks at the site recently, it's about to go.

A 3-story dinner? Plus a rooftop patio?? Also, I forgot this thing was 'wrapping around the planned SoBro...

"The additional stories are to be built atop the existing one-level structure, which will be expanded in the rear to make for a larger footprint, Steve Smith said. The 32-story, 300-unit-plus SoBroapartmenticon1.png tower that developer Tony Giarratana and his partners plan to build will curve around The Diner’s location, he added."

There is a cool rendering but I am receiving an error when I attempt to post the image....

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130928/BUSINESS01/309280072/Downtown-Nashville-restaurant-bar-offer-24-7-dining-experience

So, I haven't seen a site plan for either project. Will the Sobro actually touch the back of this diner (literally wrapping it), or will there be some sort of alley or passage between the two? Does anyone know?

I hope these guys are working together on their construction plans. If they literally share a wall, then they will do each other a favor by working together.

Perhaps that's why this diner is taking so long to begin.

So, I haven't seen a site plan for either project. Will the Sobro actually touch the back of this diner (literally wrapping it), or will there be some sort of alley or passage between the two? Does anyone know?

I hope these guys are working together on their construction plans. If they literally share a wall, then they will do each other a favor by working together.

Perhaps that's why this diner is taking so long to begin.

Not real sure about the answer to the question. The current work going on is interior salvage demolition.

The current building sits on roughly half of its lot lengthwise, but occupies pretty much the entire width.    From the rendering, if this is still accurate, it looks like there may be an addition going on the back.     So it could end up in tight quarters with the SoBro.   

24hrdinerrender.jpg

i hear that there may be a deal between the two parties and Tony may aquire the Crow property.

This does not surprise me at all. I thought this may be the case. Mchugh will put their construction trailers there, then when the project is finished, the property will go back to Mrs. Crow for her diner, unless Tony can somehow do something with her sliver of land and make it a dog park for residents or something of that nature.

I bet Mchugh wil sign a lease for temporary offices in the Encore. Maybe all of this is finally coming together. The owner of the little convenience store we all love to hate told me today, they built out the little store to serve the construction workers for the HGI and the Sobro, and it is only temporary. Another tower is going on the lot where they currently are and Solo Mio will eventually sell.

This does not surprise me at all. I thought this may be the case. Mchugh will put their construction trailers there, then when the project is finished, the property will go back to Mrs. Crow for her diner, unless Tony can somehow do something with her sliver of land and make it a dog park for residents or something of that nature.

Just throwing this out there...what if the diner is incorporated into the property -- or perhaps the agreement would be McHugh builds the diner simultaneously or just after the completion of SoBro. Or...SoBro builds over that footprint and leases retail space to Mrs. Crow at a friendly rate.

I have no idea what kind of deal is actually happening...just some thoughts as to possibilities.

• Like 1

A 3-story dinner? Plus a rooftop patio?? Also, I forgot this thing was 'wrapping around the planned SoBro...

"The additional stories are to be built atop the existing one-level structure, which will be expanded in the rear to make for a larger footprint, Steve Smith said. The 32-story, 300-unit-plus SoBroapartmenticon1.png tower that developer Tony Giarratana and his partners plan to build will curve around The Diner’s location, he added."

There is a cool rendering but I am receiving an error when I attempt to post the image....

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130928/BUSINESS01/309280072/Downtown-Nashville-restaurant-bar-offer-24-7-dining-experience

So much for building atop the existing one-level structure. It is currently being demolished.

I wonder what happened. Perhaps it was deemed that it couldn't survive the SoBro construction, or even that it was already damaged during excavation. Or maybe Tony made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

I hate to see this go. Not for the building itself, but for the future potential of the diner. Not a big loss, but it would be nice to have something old amongst all of the new.