The Bad News Report

tozmervo

7 hours ago, kermit said:

90,000 room nights is north of $20 million dollars taken out of the Charlotte economy.

They don't give a ...fig.

The 2020 decennial reapportionment is coming.

It helps them to damage Charlotte.

10 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

if isn't that retailers. automobile companies Ford and GM and may tech and pharmaceutical companies are not being hypocritical about the matter, but we are talking about PayPal specifically. They thrive in oppressive countries, so all of a sudden, they are concerned since it is Charlotte? Sounds questionable to me. It is all about money and they wouldn't back out of Charlotte unless there was a better opportunity. The fact is that in many of the countries where we have businesses, women aren't allowed to work or be around men other than their husbands. I have no problem with American companies doing business in oppressive places, I just don't like the PayPal hypocrisy

By the way, despite your sarcasm and inability to read into ones concepts and perceptions,  I have no animosity towards good people and that includes good LGBTs. I just feel that if we continue with anti-discrimination laws, the only people that are open for discrimination are white males.  And as a former employer, I have seen numerous people misusing discrimination to hide from other real inadequacies.   I see  individuals on this board, on this topic showing  intolerance towards anyone that has a differing opinion. These will likely be the ones that will only get ahead by playing the sex card.

To be honest, I don't really care about the bill but I certainly understand that there are two sides to all issues. There should have been a vote. It isn't fair to always give in to the special interest groups.  I believe that Mayor Roberts and most members of the city council are stupid and there will be many problems in the future with municipal matters.  I expect Cannon to be re-elected as mayor again and continue the trend of ineptness.

"Good LGBTs" kinda sounds like "good negroes" to me.

You should definitely think of me as one of those uppity negr...er, gay men. In fact, I'm sure you already do.

But I never 'played the sex card,' whatever that means. What I have done in my career is work hard in many 50, 60, 70-hour weeks to get ahead because gay men have always got to be better than the competition. I put up the numbers and was a visible face and voice in Atlanta and New York and Los Angeles and San Francisco so that the business could grow and prosper. For that, my employers rewarded me very nicely and embraced me and supported and were cool with my white male gay self, even 20-25 years ago.

If that's your idea of 'playing the sex card,' make the most of it.

"Good LGBTs"? "Playing the sex card"?

You're the easiest read in the world.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

They don't give a ...fig.

The 2020 decennial reapportionment is coming.

It helps them to damage Charlotte.

"Good LGBTs" kinda sounds like "good negroes" to me.

You should definitely think of me as one of those uppity negr...er, gay men. In fact, I'm sure you already do.

But I never 'played the sex card,' whatever that means. What I have done in my career is work hard in many 50, 60, 70-hour weeks to get ahead because gay men have always got to be better than the competition. I put up the numbers and was a visible face and voice in Atlanta and New York and Los Angeles and San Francisco so that the business could grow and prosper. For that, my employers rewarded me very nicely and embraced me and supported and were cool with my white male gay self, even 20-25 years ago.

If that's your idea of 'playing the sex card,' make the most of it.

"Good LGBTs"? "Playing the sex card"?

You're the easiest read in the world.

You're barking up the wrong tree. First, I don't really care about what or who you are, and secondly, if you have had gay issues, it likely is for something beyond that. In my world, we base opinions of others on the way one acts in regards to niceness, friendliness, and playing well with others. Take it easy and get over your status ambiguity.

Edited by caterpillar2

13 hours ago, jednc said:

I know how many will take what I'm about to say, but I think the proper analogy is more likely something like: an animal rights activist breaks into a bear enclosure at a zoo in order to free the animals. Instead, they are mauled by the bears and killed. They were good-intentioned but should have known better.

Before the ordinance was passed, McCrory emailed the city council: " In an email Sunday, Gov. Pat McCrory said the bathroom provision would likely cause “immediate” action by legislators. " The entire article detailing the vote and the not-so-subtle warnings given by members of the NCGA before this was passed can be read here.

Also, those blaming Roberts do not understand how Charlotte Government works. The city council holds almost all the power, and they are responsible for the passage of the ordinance; for better or worse.

15 hours ago, mpretori said:

Please find 1 company, just 1, that pulled investment from NC due to the CLT ordinance. 

I don't understand your posting. Show me just once where I said a company had pulled out. The fact is, I didn't. You are actually making my point. I don't think the bill has much impact at all.

10 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

From The New York Times Op-Ed, Saturday, April 9, 2016 -- "My North Carolina State of Mind" by Allan Gurganus

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/09/opinion/my-north-carolina-state-of-mind.htm

"Jesse Helms is dead now, but his spirit of bigotry isn't."

The author is just another crybaby scalawag. I should send him a map showing that I-77 can lead one quickly out of N.C. Well, I hope he will fine true satisfaction with Hillary as the next president (hehe). And yes, Patagonia sounds great to me. I hope he goes there.

Edited by caterpillar2

16 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

The author is just another crybaby scalawag. I should send him a map showing that I-77 can lead one quickly out of N.C. Well, I hope he will fine true satisfaction with Hillary as the next president (hehe). And yes, Patagonia sounds great to me. I hope he goes there.

I look forward to President Clinton (though, I'd prefer Sanders) and being a progressive state once again when Governor Cooper and the Democratic-led NCGA undo the damage done by McCrory and his GOP mates. 

We are going to disagree on HB2 but we don't need all the negativity and bad press. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

I look forward to President Clinton (though, I'd prefer Sanders) and being a progressive state once again when Governor Cooper and the Democratic-led NCGA undo the damage done by McCrory and his GOP mates. 

We are going to disagree on HB2 but we don't need all the negativity and bad press. 

You will change after you turn 40 and understand the world. And on that not, I will not respond to this thread any more. But Piedmont767, you seem like a nice guy and nothing I have said has had the purpose of insulting anyone. I just gave my views.  I love gay people as much as anyone else. I am just tired of preferential treatment and the list continues to grow until eventually, nobody will want to hire anyone.  I feel that President Trump will set us back on the right track. :)

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

That is all supporters of HB2 can say is "Take 77 North."

is that what you wish for our state? To start contracting, slowing growth, not be welcoming, lowering wages, etc?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

I feel that President Trump will set us back on the right track. :)

I was going to go to Comedy Zone tonight because it's been a while since I have seen some good comedy....I definitely don't need to anymore. :rofl:

On an on topic note, I really hope the damage slows down, as a lot of developers are moving forward (see: Crescent and Lincoln Harris)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

is that what you wish for our state? To start contracting, slowing growth, not be welcoming, lowering wages, etc?

That would be a conservative's wet dream. As urban areas continue to grow and expand, so do the amount of liberal/progressive/Democratic voters, which makes the entire state more blue during federal and state elections. It's probably the reason why the NCGA won't retract HB2, since most of the companies and sponsors pulling out are doing direct damage to the major urban areas, and less to the rural ones (even though it hurts the entire state).

Regardless of who you want as president, please vote this November to try curtail the damage the NCGA has done to NC in the past six years. Every politician in the Senate and the House has their voting record open to the public. Many of these politicians are gerrymandered, so I don't expect to vote all of them out, but if we can at least get a Democrat as a governor, and a NCGA without a veto-proof majority, that would be a better situation than the one we're currently in. On the federal level, I'm also hoping the next president can tilt the Supreme Court towards the left, so that many of these idiotic state laws can be overturned.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

You're barking up the wrong tree. First, I don't really care about what or who you are, and secondly, if you have had gay issues, it likely is for something beyond that. In my world, we base opinions of others on the way one acts in regards to niceness, friendliness, and playing well with others. Take it easy and get over your status ambiguity.

I have no 'status ambiguity,' whatever that means. Did you just pull that out of your ear?

Nor am I the one who has been wailing post after post about how I've been discriminated against because I'm straight and white.

Maybe you should take a good look at yourself in the mirror and understand that like everyone else, success has to be earned and not handed to you on a platter just because you're a straight white guy with a military background.

Maybe all those people you claim discriminated against you just didn't like your overbearing sense of entitlement because you're a straight white guy with a military background.

You think?

You may have the final word.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Yes, I prefer European and Chinese companies. I want companies to furnish good  jobs and  not be crybabies because male employees can't pee in the girl's restroom visa versa. I also want companies that will hire based on qualifications and not race, religion, or sexual preferences and is free to fire unproductive workers or workers with attitude issues without fear of wrongly being accused of discrimination. Pretty simple and normal I think.

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

I was going to go to Comedy Zone tonight because it's been a while since I have seen some good comedy....I definitely don't need to anymore. :rofl:

On an on topic note, I really hope the damage slows down, as a lot of developers are moving forward (see: Crescent and Lincoln Harris)

O.K. You owe me a beer since I saved you some admission money. I sincerely hope this thing does blow over and I go along with whatever it takes to work it out. But, Springsteen and PayPal can still kiss my grits.

26 minutes ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

I have no 'status ambiguity,' whatever that means. Did you just pull that out of your ear?

Nor am I the one who has been wailing post after post about how I've been discriminated against because I'm straight and white.

Maybe you should take a good look at yourself in the mirror and understand that like everyone else, success has to be earned and not handed to you on a platter just because you're a straight white guy with a military background.

Maybe all those people you claim discriminated against you just didn't like your overbearing sense of entitlement because you're a straight white guy with a military background.

You think?

You may have the final word.

Yes, and maybe all of those that you think should be protected in regards to HB2 are insecure, unqualified, and victims of poor parenting that thinks the world should support them breathing? My point in explaining my experience was simply to say that there are enough reasons out there to keep good, qualified people out of jobs. We don't need more,. Status ambiguity is the state of uncertainty in regards to one's standing in life. And no, I didn't pull the term out of my ear. It is a college term. Maybe you were asleep in sociology 101.

Edited by caterpillar2

5 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

I love gay people as much as anyone else. I am just tired of preferential treatment

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around how wanting equal protection under the law equates to preferrential treatment. If there is a correlation between the two then you should be ecstatic that you were born a straight, white male because that means have been getting preferrential treatment your entire life.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around how wanting equal protection under the law equates to preferrential treatment. If there is a correlation between the two then you should be ecstatic that you were born a straight, white male because that means have been getting preferrential treatment your entire life.

What exactly is preferential treatment? I have lost tons of opportunities for not being a minority. I had to work my way through college without a scholarship or a grant, I had to go fight for my country. I was raised in Thomasboro (west side). I had nothing given to me. Anyone that says that I got "preferential treatment" is insane. You obviously have no clue about having to work for a living. All I want is equal opportunity and not preferential treatment for special groups and I am not talking about LGBT specifically. Your first sentence makes no sense. It isn't even close to what I have discussed. I believe in equal protection but not preferential treatment. Please spell "preferential" correctly. It is driving me crazy. A typo is understandable but this isn't a typo. Just forget about me and go away. Obviously you are black and we will never truly confide or trust each other and I am not an apologist. You have likely always had this privileged junk preached to you all of you life and your mind is set.

^ So you think Homosexuals want preferential treatment by having protection from discrimination like people do based on Race, Religion, Age, Biological Sex & ethnicity? So people from biological sex get "preferential treatment" but not the gays? 

Anyway, no matter how much you kick and cry, NC is going to bleed money & talent because companies are protesting. Even if they do business in places like Cuba, they're protesting NC... That's the reality.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

^ So you think Homosexuals want preferential treatment by having protection from discrimination like people do based on Race, Religion, Age, Biological Sex & ethnicity? So people from biological sex get "preferential treatment" by not the gays? 

How is it possible that people can change things around in such a deranged manner. No, I do not believe that at all. I believe that a person should have equal opportunity and if he/she is the most qualified, hired. I don't think that anyone should have preferential treatment for anything other than qualifications or the best person for the job. If that is not happening, it is wrong and intervention is sensible. I look at gays like I do anyone, friend or stranger, just a person. My whole premise on the matter is not that difficult, yet I am made out a bad guy because I personally thought the "bathroom" thing is a bit ridiculous. That has been my only point of contention. And, I really don't care much about that. Quit trying to make me out as a anti-gay, anti-anything. I like people because of the way they act and nothing else. Another words, I like nice people that aren't leaches on society and that is not what I am talking about in my postings anyway. Keep it simple and don't put more into what I post than what I actually say.

And, I don't think that gays want preferential treatment. As I have said before, I have many gay friends and that is definitely not the case with them. As a matter of fact, a couple of years ago a young gay guy was severely beaten in the wee hours in Rock Hill after leaving a convenience store by a gang of black youths because he was gay. The didn't rob him, just robbed him. To this day, I haven't heard anything of a "hate" crime concerning this case. Why? I was sickened by this as the kid was young, minding his own business and if it had been a black gay beaten by white thugs, the world would be rioting. The whole issue is a bucket of worms and yes, justice isn't always fair. I don't know what ever happened with this atrocity. Obviously, in this case, a gay wasn't protected by the law appropriately. That burns my ass so to speak.

Edited by caterpillar2

If you think Homosexuality shouldn't be excluded from race, gender, biological sex, religion, ethnicity, age then why are you so outraged people are upset by the fact that homosexuals and transgendered were specifically targeted by HB2? 

If if its the bathroom part you're worried about, that doesn't justify HB2. (Even though there is nothing to worry about) 

and everyone says "what bathroom were transgendered people using before." Exactly, so why did the GA decide it was so necessary to call a special session to deal with it of people are going to use the same bathroom as always.

its always astonishing to me the religious right wants to always be the victim. They're being "attacked by the gay police" because People want HB2 repealed which specifically excludes homosexuals and transgendered people but protects people of. Biological sex, age, etc.

why should old people be protected from discrimination but not homosexuals? Why should women be protected but not males?

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Third Strike said:
21 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

If you think Homosexuality shouldn't be excluded from race, gender, biological sex, religion, ethnicity, age then why are you so outraged people are upset by the fact that homosexuals and transgendered were specifically targeted by HB2? 

I never said that, what is wrong with your reading? I said that homosexuals that I know get along well without having to be protected by some law. They are qualified and don't have chips on their shoulders.

If if its the bathroom part you're worried about, that doesn't justify HB2. (Even though there is nothing to worry about) 

The bill wouldn't have been an issue if the mayor hadn't been such a dick (no pun intended."

and everyone says "what bathroom were transgendered people using before." Exactly, so why did the GA decide it was so necessary to call a special session to deal with it of people are going to use the same bathroom as always.

Not an issue with me. Don't care.

its always astonishing to me the religious right wants to always be the victim. They're being "attacked by the gay police" because People want HB2 repealed which specifically excludes homosexuals and transgendered people but protects people of. Biological sex, age, etc.

I am not a religious person. But, religious people have the rights to their views, They simply ask that you use the restroom that is labeled for the gender for which one identifies legally. It really doesn't take an advanced degree to understand this.  Stop blaming the religious people. It certainly isn't them that "wants to be the victim." Some of them are morons, but some of your side are morons too.

why should old people be protected from discrimination but not homosexuals? Why should women be protected but not males?

I don't know. Who said this?  It wasn't  me. If you are going to assume that I said something, go back and see what I wrote and you wouldn't ask so many unnecessary questions. You really need to prepare your questions by knowing what the person you are challenging has written. You will look smarter.

50 minutes ago, mpretori said:

This is loses from 13 conventions in CLT. 29 more maybe cancelling. 

F####!

damn.GIF

Could you post some details supporting these numbers please? I know about 4 cancellations and 9 other groups who were considering a convention here who decided against. Even if all 9 groups would have eventually booked a convention here, and if each convention hosted 100,000 people (which clearly they would not), each of those people would have still had to spend around $5,000 a piece for those spending numbers to work out. I think something is wrong here...

55 minutes ago, mpretori said:

This is loses from 13 conventions in CLT. 29 more maybe cancelling. 

F####!

damn.GIF

Never thought I'd live to see the day when such crazed ideologues would be in power in North Carolina and run off bidness to satisfy theocratic freaks.

My opinion of them all is immeasurably low and covered with contempt.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jednc said:

Could you post some details supporting these numbers please? I know about 4 cancellations and 9 other groups who were considering a convention here who decided against. Even if all 9 groups would have eventually booked a convention here, and if each convention hosted 100,000 people (which clearly they would not), each of those people would have still had to spend around $5,000 a piece for those spending numbers to work out. I think something is wrong here...

Source: http://www.crva.com

On April 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM, mpretori said:

What are you going to do? blog about it until you get tired? This is useless to spend all this energy on this. We are in a election season and pat aint backing down. Maybe wait until October or September? This is desensitizing people right now. 

You're right. MLK should have just kept his mouth shut. Civil rights and jsocial justice should always play second to the status quo.

War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength.

• Like 1