The Bad News Report

tozmervo

The plan to have Obama and Merkel drink some OMB at the Hannover trade show has now come off the rails thanks to HB2. There is no press release but it has been made clear that Obama will not stop for any photo opps at he North Carolina booth at the show. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/46940/charlotte-beer-feature-worlds-largest-trade-show/

28 minutes ago, kermit said:

The plan to have Obama and Merkel drink some OMB at the Hannover trade show has now come off the rails thanks to HB2. There is no press release but it has been made clear that Obama will not stop for any photo opps at he North Carolina booth at the show. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/46940/charlotte-beer-feature-worlds-largest-trade-show/

That news will make the goons shout for joy.

• Like 2

NC GOP continues to burn bridges with private corporations who are simply exercising their rights as to where they will do business. As a bonus they continue to equate HB2 with human rights problems in places like Russia. Gosh, I am glad they are spending their time protecting us!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kermit said:

NC GOP continues to burn bridges with private corporations who are simply exercising their rights as to where they will do business. As a bonus they continue to equate HB2 with human rights problems in places like Russia. Gosh, I am glad they are spending their time protecting us!

Everything he said is absolutely true, though.  Sure, it's their decision to do business here, but I see nothing wrong with a journalist calling them out on the hypocrisy. 

A little PR should clean all this up, but unless an official statement comes from Raleigh, people will go along being ignorant.

^ its not a journalist, its the head of the NCGOP. While he can certainly say whatever he wants, but he has earned our derision for his outright rejection of his party's fundamental beliefs (which is substantially different than garden variety inconsistency). Circ is making a business decision that the benefits of avoiding NC will exceed the costs of cancelling the shows.  Calling private corporations hypocrites for exercising their judgement about where to do business is a complete rejection of 100+ year old republican mantra that 'free markets know best' (and as a bonus, they are also suggesting that they (as political figures) have a better understanding of business than the executives themselves). How can we take republicans seriously when they abandon their most closely held beliefs whenever it suits them. 

In addition your statement that the reply was "absolutely true" is incorrect. Woodhouse says we are one of 13 states when in fact we are one of only two states with these 'anti' discrimination policies.

Edited by kermit

From The Charlotte Observer, Business, April 15, 2016

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article72044057.html

BUSINESS

APRIL 15, 2016 2:01 PM

NBA: No plans now to move All-Star Game from Charlotte, but HB2 ‘problematic’

League keeps 2017 game at Time Warner Cable Arena but criticizes North Carolina’s LGBT law

Commissioner says league would be ‘most constructive’ by working with elected officials for change

Game next February is projected to attract most visitors since 2012 Democratic National Convention

Edited by QCxpat

1 hour ago, kermit said:

BUT THEY ARE OPEN FOR BUSINESS! They are the party of the US Chamber! I think they are just misunderstood! /sarcasm

From The Charlotte Observer, Saturday, April 16, 2016  -  (Right click, open in new tab)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article72100942.html

POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

APRIL 15, 2016 5:33 PM

NC receives scorn, while Houston avoids boycott over loss of LGBT protections

Gov. McCrory noted that Houston hosted Final Four

Voters there overturned LGBT ordinance in November

N.C. Republicans have also questioned corporate motives

GettyImages-519147406

Edited by QCxpat
Add additional materials.

From The New York Times, Saturday, April 16, 2016  -  (Right click, open in new tab)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/16/us/southern-cities-move-past-states-on-liberal-social-issues.html

Southern Cities Split With States on Social Issues

By CAMPBELL ROBERTSON and RICHARD FAUSSETAPRIL 15, 2016

Photo
16south-JP-01-master675.jpg

Victoria Fortenberry once assumed she would leave Mississippi, but has found she can be unashamedly Southern and gay in Jackson. CreditEdmund D. Fountain for The New York Times

Save

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Oriental Town Hall wasted NO time to enact a bathroom police. TAX DOLLARS AT WORK. 

http://towndock.net/newsextra/bathroom-re-opens-with-on-duty-compliance-officer

I thought journalism was dead, I was wrong. Best thing I read all week!

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, QCxpat said:

From The Charlotte Observer, Saturday, April 16, 2016  -  (Right click, open in new tab)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article72100942.html

POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

APRIL 15, 2016 5:33 PM

NC receives scorn, while Houston avoids boycott over loss of LGBT protections

Gov. McCrory noted that Houston hosted Final Four

Voters there overturned LGBT ordinance in November

N.C. Republicans have also questioned corporate motives

GettyImages-519147406

I almost hate stepping into this because I mostly just like construction and tall buildings. :)  But this has been one of the most interesting discussions on UP in maybe forever.  Houston has an openly lesbian mayor which may have something to do with the lack of a backlash.  But I think the article hits on the real reason.  Houston city leaders actually passed an LGBT protection ordinance that was overturned by the voters.  Corporations are not as likely to boycott the voters/general populace as they are one the national media's favorite targets - the "evil Republicans."  I am not making a statement for or against this issue - just a personal observation.

Edited by The ATX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The ATX said:

I almost hate stepping into this because I mostly just like construction and tall buildings. :)  But this has been one of the most interesting discussions on UP in maybe forever.  Houston has an openly lesbian mayor which may have something to do with the lack of a backlash.  But I think the article hits on the real reason.  Houston city leaders actually passed an LGBT protection ordinance that was overturned by the voters.  Corporations are not as likely to boycott the voters/general populace as they are one the national media's favorite targets - the "evil Republicans."  I am not making a statement for or against this issue - just a personal observation.

Sorry guys this was relevent when the PayPal news came down and it sucked, if any more of that type of news comes down let's talk but we gotta move this back to the Coffee House please

12 hours ago, QCxpat said:

From The New York Times, Saturday, April 16, 2016  -  (Right click, open in new tab)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/16/us/southern-cities-move-past-states-on-liberal-social-issues.html

Southern Cities Split With States on Social Issues

By CAMPBELL ROBERTSON and RICHARD FAUSSETAPRIL 15, 2016

Photo
16south-JP-01-master675.jpg

Victoria Fortenberry once assumed she would leave Mississippi, but has found she can be unashamedly Southern and gay in Jackson. CreditEdmund D. Fountain for The New York Times

Save

We are not alone.

Maybe there is hope.

:)

• Like 2

The fallout is just beginning. A friend of mine has a small marketing firm here in town that works a lot with real estate developers. I spoke with my friend yesterday and they told me they'd had a potential project decrease its marketing budget by $12K because the developer of a spec office building decided it was too risky to make a big investment into marketing a new building for relocations in Charlotte and North Carolina. That's $12K out of the pocket of a local small business owner. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

The fallout is just beginning. A friend of mine has a small marketing firm here in town that works a lot with real estate developers. I spoke with my friend yesterday and they told me they'd had a potential project decrease its marketing budget by $12K because the developer of a spec office building decided it was too risky to make a big investment into marketing a new building for relocations in Charlotte and North Carolina. That's $12K out of the pocket of a local small business owner. 

I sold my house this past week and yesterday, I went to a couple of open houses.

I asked both realtors if they had noticed any drop in activity in the last 2-4 weeks.

Both said that activity had decreased significantly in that period, which is when HB2 has been flooding the news and our lives, of course.

They added that no one offered HB2 as a reason for not going forward and who knows-maybe the weather wasn't favorable or Mercury was in retrograde.

But still...this is prime buying/selling season and a drop off in activity?

I've also noticed when I search on line for a new place that there is a decrease in listings that go under contract in a day or two. Now, a good many are lingering.

Realtors and developers are a powerful political voice who frequently vote GOP. If their business goes south, HB2 might start swirling the drain.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Fluctuations in the market happen.  But there could be any number of reasons why a business manager would choose to decrease a line item.  Not saying you don't have a valid point; it's just not the only variable.  By time all this stupid HB2 stuff passes [California is about to go full bore, unregulated marijuana growing], the current trend will be reinvigorated and possibly even pick up steam depending on how the current development shakes out.

Edited by alb1no panther

1 hour ago, alb1no panther said:

the current trend will be reinvigorated and possibly even pick up steam depending on how the current development shakes out.

Yes, NC will return to growth and the stigma of HB2 will fade away for some segments of the economy. The real problem with HB2 is that it will dramatically reduce our ability to create high-wage, knowledge industry jobs. These highly-skilled workers are very tuned into to social issues like this and are very unlikely to 'forget' about the implications of HB2. Knowledge industry firms are reluctant to move to a place that will make it difficult for them to recruit skilled workers (and even if just a handful of these workers remember HB2 exists knowledge firms will shy away from NC).  Manufacturing and low end services businesses (in general terms) just don't care much about this issue because there is a huge surplus of these workers -- so some lingering social baggage won't impact  their location decisions.

Unfortunately, this dynamic is going to exacerbate the 19 year trend of all NC residents becoming poorer (measured by per capita income as a percent of the US average income). In 1997 North Carolinian's earned 93% of the US average, in 2014 that had dropped to 85% -- 19 consecutive years of decline is not a product of "market fluctuations". As outrage over HB2 fades into the background we will get new manufacturing jobs (and the GOP will point at those jobs and cheer). Unfortunately as long as HB2 exists the really good jobs will stay away and North Carolinian's will continue to grow poorer. Thanks NCGOP

(you can see all these data through 2014 at www.bea.gov)

NC income.jpg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

Fluctuations in the market happen.  But there could be any number of reasons why a business manager would choose to decrease a line item.  Not saying you don't have a valid point; it's just not the only variable.  By time all this stupid HB2 stuff passes [California is about to go full bore, unregulated marijuana growing], the current trend will be reinvigorated and possibly even pick up steam depending on how the current development shakes out.

Except this was not a "market fluctuation". The manager flat out told her the developer wasn't willing to risk spending the money due to HB2.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

Except this was not a "market fluctuation". The manager flat out told her the developer wasn't willing to risk spending the money due to HB2.

And Governor said that he won't repeal it today. So we have to wait until November, that's 6 months. This is just my opinion, I predict NC to be in a recession soon. Almost unavoidable IMO.