The Bad News Report

tozmervo

11 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

The Charlotte city council needs to make a big statement. Something huge and symbolic. Maybe place "bathroom checkers" around some of the cities restrooms to "check people's birth certificates" before they can use it and call up the media to watch. They need to make it known that Charlotte is against this bill and will be fighting it before any more bad news occurs as a result.

oh lord no. That makes us look like we support HB2

Just now, Nick2 said:

I meant it as a high level form of sarcasm. Maybe play the Benny Hill themesong along with it. That would be pretty fitting of this whole boondoggle. 

Yes, I understand that. But if the fact that Charlotte started the original policy is lost on the media, sarcasm will be spun the other way, and make us look even worse.

That's a valid point. Sarcasm would be lost on many people. Don't use my specific example but I really do think Charlotte should make a huge statement somehow before any other adverse effects happen to Charlotte.

2 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Lol...I thought you were being sarcastic.

Another funny thing is Pay Pal is advertising all over this forum now!! lol

Oh wow! You're absolutely right! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYCLT said:

I appreciate the replies from all of you - I just got into the story now that it's blowing up in our faces and what I took from it was that Charlotte is being inflicted punishment because Charlotte is the greatest contributor to the NC economy, hence if you punish Charlotte you punish NC, but by inflicting punishment on Charlotte you are not at all affecting the constituents who actually voted the people into office who passed the bill in the first place because they are not located in Charlotte - furthermore, the people who voted the people into office who passed the bill hate Charlotte :) so they're just having a grand ole time - obviously you see why this is so frustrating to an average citizen such as myself.

They hate Charlotte. They hate queers. I'm a Charlotte native. I'm a queer. fudge'em.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

Okay, I get all the backlash. But why has it all been directed at Charlotte (with the exception of the Greensboro pharmaceuticals plant)?

We tried to be inclusive and stop discrimination, but we are being punished for McCrory's and the NCGA's mistakes. 

Because we are the only one getting job announcements like this. We are the economic engine of the state. Its like setting up blockades outside a medieval castle and keeping goods and foodstuffs from going in.

To affect change, it is going to take real consequences. Jobs are politicians #1 self-promotion tool (tied with pork-barrel spending in my mind). Losing jobs and business in this way is the most tangible impact. So, from that standpoint I think it's a good thing and hopefully it will result in meaningful change. Charlotte is the largest local economy in the state, so its natural that we will see the most impacts, though I hope the Triangle gets to join in on the fun at some point.

I really like what the Red Ventures guy had to say. I won't go into this statement any further, but suffice it to say I agree that the NCGOP is advancing an agenda that does not represent North Carolina. Hopefully this election cycle will right some of their many, many, wrongs.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, grodney said:

HeelsFan and Nick2, PayPal isn't advertising on this site....the advertisements are context-sensitive i.e. targeted....they're most likely pulling from your search history....but also possibly from the text here.  None of my ads are PayPal.

he's using sarcasm to suggest that paypal is rejecting HB2 just for "free" press 

Tami Fitzgerald, executive director of North Carolina Values Coalition, criticized PayPal. The most controversial part of Charlotte’s nondiscrimination ordinance would have allowed transgender people to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with.

"Companies like PayPal who are pushing their radical bathroom policies on states like North Carolina should think twice before they assert themselves into the policy decisions of the state,” said Fitzgerald.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article70001502.html#storylink=cpy

PayPal had already "asserted" itself into state policy by creating 400 jobs in exchange for Economic Development grants from taxpayers!!!   Now you idiots have cost Charlotte 400 jobs!!!

Edited by ChessieCat

4 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

Does anyone else find it just a wee-bit hypocritical to do business in Saudi Arabia (and a host of other countries that criminalize, among other things, homosexuality) while refusing to expand operations in Charlotte?

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/country-worldwide

No. It's not hypocritical (which I assume you must be very against sanctions on Cuba?)

if you have to compare us to Saudi Arabia for human rights, then there is a big red flag right there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

Does anyone else find it just a wee-bit hypocritical to do business in Saudi Arabia (and a host of other countries that criminalize, among other things, homosexuality) while refusing to expand operations in Charlotte?

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/country-worldwide

Who cares one way or the other?  Even if you deem that to be hypocrisy, are you saying that makes their stance against HB2 wrong?

6 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

No. It's not hypocritical (which I assume you must be very against sanctions on Cuba?)

if you have to compare us to Saudi Arabia for human rights, then there is a big red flag right there.

I'm merely making the point that PayPal apparently has no problem doing business in places with much more draconian restrictions on LGBT rights than North Carolina.

2 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

I'm merely making the point that PayPal apparently has no problem doing business in places with much more draconian restrictions on LGBT rights than North Carolina.

Thats because those countries that limit LGBT rights are huge markets and at the end of the day, PayPal are out to make money. One state isn't as important as large countries. 

Anyway you've got to start somewhere in getting equal rights for all.

1 hour ago, Piedmont767 said:

Okay, I get all the backlash. But why has it all been directed at Charlotte (with the exception of the Greensboro pharmaceuticals plant)?

We tried to be inclusive and stop discrimination, but we are being punished for McCrory's and the NCGA's mistakes. 

Well considering 1/2 of the state's counties are declining and another 25% are stagnant, unfortunately this ludicrous approach taken by the legislature and governor is causing the areas of the state that are producing overall growth to suffer....if you look at just Wake and Mecklenburg counties, just those two constitute 20% of the state's population.

Edited by rancenc

Per the Charlotte observer:

"Michele Nix, vice chairman of the North Carolina Republican Party, accused PayPal of “corporate hypocrisy and bullying,” citing the company’s past violations of economic sanctions on Cuba, Sudan and Iran."

HYPOCRITES...we should all be banning Pay Pal.

Local Representative(s)that voted for:  Arp (R);  Bishop(R);  Bradford(R);  Brawley(R);  Bryan(R);  Bumgardner(R);  Hastings(R);  Horn(R);  Pittman(R);  Saine(R);  Schaffer(R);  Setzer(R);  T. Moore (SPEAKER)(R);  Torbett(R)

Edited by archiham04

I love how the right always trumpets the infallibility of the free market and corporations until the 'free market' begins to take actions that don't suit them.

Gosh, its so unlike the right to be ideologically inconsistent and hypocritical.

• Like 2