The Bad News Report

tozmervo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

...and as Springsteen so eloquently put it ( as he is apt to do so well..) in his published reasoning on why he canceled tonight's Greensboro show..."As we also know, North Carolina has just passed HB2, which the media are referring to as the “bathroom” law. HB2 — known officially as the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act — dictates which bathrooms transgender people are permitted to use. Just as important, the law also attacks the rights of LGBT citizens to sue when their human rights are violated in the workplace. No other group of North Carolinians faces such a burden. To my mind, it’s an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress."  

This is simply a power play by the entrenched NCGA to stay entrenched by exciting their base, all the while nonchalantly discounting those who want to move this State forward. It is not interested in the well being of others, it is solely interested in maintaining power. 

• Like 1

^^^NC has become its own miniaturized dystopia since NCGOP-the Reichpublicans-took over.  Between the SA (State Assembly)-most notably the SS (State Senate)-at the Reichstag and Fuhrer McCrory at the Berghof-I mean Governor's Mansion-we have our own little Fourth Reich in the making.

I am surprised the "McCrory Youth" hasn't become a thing yet.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

...and as Springsteen so eloquently put it ( as he is apt to do so well..) in his published reasoning on why he canceled tonight's Greensboro show..."As we also know, North Carolina has just passed HB2, which the media are referring to as the “bathroom” law. HB2 — known officially as the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act — dictates which bathrooms transgender people are permitted to use. Just as important, the law also attacks the rights of LGBT citizens to sue when their human rights are violated in the workplace. No other group of North Carolinians faces such a burden. To my mind, it’s an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress."  

This is simply a power play by the entrenched NCGA to stay entrenched by exciting their base, all the while nonchalantly discounting those who want to move this State forward. It is not interested in the well being of others, it is solely interested in maintaining power. 

1 minute ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Someone should be creative and create a "Worst in Freedom" license plate, lol

Or," Leading the way in growth and prosperity."

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

In what regard? Losing 400 jobs that we know of from PayPal, possibly another 500 from Red Ventures, and potentially thousands of others that we don't know about? Losing 13 conventions and the thousands of room-nights that went with them? Potentially losing major sporting events such as the NBA all star game and NCAA tournament competitions? Having CEOs at major companies with HQs or major operations ( I.e. American Airlines, BofA, Wells Fargo) within the city publicly decry your laws as archaic and oppressive?  

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

Based on what data?

18 minutes ago, abttown said:

At this point, I'm convinced caterpillar2 is Larry Bumgarner.  Who's with me?

He has been a thoughtful and useful contributor here for many years. He is not a troll and he has more than earned our tolerance for having a differing opinion on this very divisive issue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Based on what data?

He has been a thoughtful and useful contributor here for many years. He is not a troll and he has more than earned our tolerance for having a differing opinion on this very divisive issue.

Thank you so much. I thought that message boards welcomed opinions. I guess not. Thanks for your support and I will stay away from this thread to keep the peace, Again, thanks Kermit.

5 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Ouch: http://m.wyff4.com/news/NBA-All-Star-Game-2017-moving-out-of-Charlotte-unless-North-Carolina-repeals-bathroom-law/38958272

"With this new law in place, Charlotte currently does not have any anti-discrimination protection in place, something that would be vital for a large event such as the All-Star Game," NBA commissioner Adam Silver told reporters in a news conference today. "We are giving the state of North Carolina 30 days to repeal this law or they can expect the 2017 All-Star game to be held elsewhere. I want to make it clear that the NBA will not stand for this type of intolerance and hate."

This is a hoax.

At least for now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Ouch: http://m.wyff4.com/news/NBA-All-Star-Game-2017-moving-out-of-Charlotte-unless-North-Carolina-repeals-bathroom-law/38958272

"With this new law in place, Charlotte currently does not have any anti-discrimination protection in place, something that would be vital for a large event such as the All-Star Game," NBA commissioner Adam Silver told reporters in a news conference today. "We are giving the state of North Carolina 30 days to repeal this law or they can expect the 2017 All-Star game to be held elsewhere. I want to make it clear that the NBA will not stand for this type of intolerance and hate."

Well almost:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/no_nba_did_not_cancel_north_carolina_repeal_anti_lgbt_law

Just now, jednc said:

Ok. Those are the total "tourism" numbers, not the projected lost revenue from those 13 events. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant when you posted. Thanks for the clarification.

Yea, I saw that. Twitter's such a garbage dump. Gotta sift through for the truth. Well at least we know what's the most we can loose. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kermit said:

Based on what data?

I "liked" the joke about Larry Bumgarner but in all seriousness I agree with this statement. We all have a right to our opinions. There's probably no one on here who I agree with completely (and I'm SURE no one completely agrees with me), and that's ok. I still value opinions different from mine because there are experiences I'll never have and points-of-view I'll never be able to consider. What others bring to the conversation can be enlightening. Now, get me fired up and I reason with emotion and not intellect, but on a chill Sunday afternoon I believe all that wholeheartedly!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kermit said:

Based on what data?

You're right.  My apologies to caterpillar for hurling a low blow earlier.  I enjoy this forum precisely because there are different perspectives represented and there is always room for those perspectives.  This topic of HB2 though really makes my blood boil.  It serves as the cherry on top of what has been a sh*t sundae served up by our state government.  As a NC native, I've had the opportunity to see this state shine as a southern state known for being progressive, tolerant, friendly, you name it.  We were known for our great commitment to education and for having some of the most advanced voting rights in the nation.  All of this took DECADES to build up and in just 5 or 6 short years, all of that progress has been wiped away.  I can't help but think of the long and difficult struggle we have to regain the respect we once commanded.  I honestly don't know whether to scream or cry sometimes, but it is all very disheartening.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, abttown said:

You're right.  My apologies to caterpillar for hurling a low blow earlier.  I enjoy this forum precisely because there are different perspectives represented and there is always room for those perspectives.  This topic of HB2 though really makes my blood boil.  It serves as the cherry on top of what has been a sh*t sundae served up by our state government.  As a NC native, I've had the opportunity to see this state shine as a southern state known for being progressive, tolerant, friendly, you name it.  We were known for our great commitment to education and for having some of the most advanced voting rights in the nation.  All of this took DECADES to build up and in just 5 or 6 short years, all of that progress has been wiped away.  I can't help but think of the long and difficult struggle we have to regain the respect we once commanded.  I honestly don't know whether to scream or cry sometimes, but it is all very disheartening.

You know, what really makes my blood boil about HB2 is not the assault on me as a gay man or on transgender friends & colleagues, bad though that is.

It's the bare-knuckle backhand across Charlotte's face.

I shake with anger every time I think about what these scummy cretins have done to the city I love.

You'd think a city that generates some 30% of the state's GDP and is the creation of bootstraps, red clay, luck and gumption would be something to celebrate and respect in North Carolina.

Not backhand.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 3