The Bad News Report

tozmervo

22 hours ago, asthasr said:

What people are seeing now is North Carolina the way it really is. This has been the program forever, even when nominal "liberals" in charge; in the countryside and backwaters, it's all machine politics, old money families, and "knowing your place." Bootstraps, red clay, luck and gumption have never been part of the program. Read W.J. Cash's The Mind of the South.

Wow.  English major?

On April 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM, InSouthPark said:

^^ We REALLY need Raleigh to start getting hit hard with this kind of stuff.  Charlotte is the one that tried to change the law, only to face the most backlash when the state overturned it. Only when it starts to effect the triangle will anyone in the GA give a crap. 

That was always my "social" argument (versus a political argument).  Why would companies harm Charlotte when it was the one trying to shout inclusiveness?  The STATE government took over, that's what they do; it's their prerogative.  It would seem then, that Deutsche Bank, NBA, PayPal, etc., would want to stand WITH Charlotte kind of as a calling cry to other cities and state--we will support your economy if you allow for equal opportunities.  

• Like 2

Editorial from THE FINANCIAL TIMES, Wednesday 13 April 2016.

"The anti-gay backlash in the American south: Business must lead the way in fighting a rash of discrimiatory laws"

http://www.ft.com/intl/comment

Excerpts:  

"Mississippi and North Carolina are digging their heels in.  Conservative politics in both states reflects a sharpening backlash in much of the south against the spread of what are perceivined to be ungodly, modern values.  In practice, such steps are hastening an estrangement between a Republican party that is straying too far from its pro-business origins in favour of a social agenda that is destined to fail.  ... 

"Business has two strong incentives to take the lead.  First, such bills offend most customers.  Last year's move by the conservative-majority Supreme Court to enshrine equal rights for gay marriage reflected the change in sentiment.  The court was following public opinion.  There is little evidence that  consumers shun businesses that serve sexual minorities.  Yet it would be commercial suicide for companies to sift their customers by prejudice.

"Second, businesses need to recruit from a broad talent pool.  Talent is increasingly choosing to relocate in diverse and socially tolerant places.  Companies are following suit.  PayPal, the online pay site, last month cancelled an investment that would have created 400 jobs in Charlotte, North Carolina.  The city's move to allow transgender people to choose which public bathroom reflected their identity was what prompted the state's assembly to pass the law.  PayPal, and the dozens of business and academic groups that have since cancelled conferences in the state, was only reflecting its bottom line.

"Richard Florida, and other urban scholars, have demonstrated a strong link between creativity and diversity.  Imposing a culture of conformity stifles new ideas and entrepreneurship.  Regardless of whether North Carolina reverses itself, Republicans must revisit first principles.  The US is a land of commerce and the Grand Old Party used to be its champion.

"If Republican legislatures alienate businesses and customers, investment will go elsewhere.  That is how markets work.  The same logic applies in the market for votes."

• Like 4

Was not expecting to see one of our members in drag, but ok. Lol. So long as you use the men's bathroom I suppose? Lol.

I just realized how silly it is people are like "imagine how we have to explain to our kids when a transgender/drag person walks into a bathroom of the sex they identify with. It's too young of an age." because kids are really going to notice as opposed to if a transgender person used a bathroom of his biological sex. Just too many stupid arguments by proponents of HB2 to fathom. No logic other than discrimination.

4 hours ago, cltcane said:

I volunteer to go as my Russian alter ego, Anya Bakyavich. :ph34r:  I would love to see the faces of some of our esteemed state representatives and senators if a group of drag queens took over the men's rooms at the Legislative Building while the General Assembly was in session.  However, I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few winks and Larry Craig-esqe wide stances, especially from the most vehemently anti-LGBT members who have horribly distorted this conversation about equal rights and antidiscrimination and have instead, at least indirectly, made it all about (the act of) sex which is the last thing all of us think of when we need to use the restroom.  That fear and loathing has to come from somewhere, and religion doesn't always account for all of it.

Anya Bakyavich.jpg

Add some "Jody Watley" style hoop earrings with your hat like headpiece and you will absolutely rock the men's room at the NC General Assembly and then make a cameo appearance at the Governor's Mansion! LOL

• Like 2

From The Daily Kos, 13 April 2016

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/4/13/1514892/-Ringo-Starr-says-he-s-Team-Love-cancels-NC-concert

missing.png
Wednesday Apr 13, 2016 · 5:05 PM EDT

11/ 12 Comments 4236 Shares  Tweet
NEW YORK, NY - OCTOBER 31:  Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band perform at Kings Theatre on October 31, 2015 in the Brooklyn Borough of New York City.  (Photo by Noam Galai/Getty Images)

ABC News tweeted out a statement from legendary Beatles’ drummer Ringo Starr.

The statement reads:

I’m sorry to disappoint my fans in the area, but we need to take a stand against this hatred. Spread peace and love. How sad that they feel that this group of people cannot be defended.

The Governor McCrory is really killing his state all in order to return to a time when hatred was an acceptable way of life. Also, I didn’t realize North Carolina could lose so many quality concerts.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, HopHead said:

Mumford and Sons will still play their show tonight at Time Warner Cable Arena (I think it's sold out too). Instead of canceling their show in protest, they will be donating all their profits to a local LGBT organization. I think that's pretty awesome. It goes to a greater cause and doesn't take away something from the people that had no choice in the NCGA's idiocy.

Why is this considered bad news?

an unnamed source tells me that 'ordinarily' the Chamber fields 5-6 calls per week on firms prospecting for locations in Charlotte. Since HB2 that number has dropped to 'maybe 1 per week.'

Clearly we are dealing with a limited sample size and time may change these trends but 20+ year employees of the Chamber say that they have never seen so little ED activity here.

The Raleigh Chamber has hired a new person who's sole job is to track the impacts of HB2.

• Like 1

Cirque du Soleil® Will Not Perform in North Carolina. Cancels  scheduled performances of OVO in Greensboro (April 20-24),  scheduled performances in Charlotte (July 6-10) and  scheduled performances of TORUK – Avatar in Raleigh (June 22-26). 

Edited by Crown
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Crown said:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/cirque-du-soleil-snub-north-carolina-state-law-38431138

Cirque du Soleil® Will Not Perform in North Carolina. Cancels  scheduled performances of OVO in Greensboro (April 20-24),  scheduled performances in Charlotte (July 6-10) and  scheduled performances of TORUK – Avatar in Raleigh (June 22-26). 

That news site is a hoax, I think. It's the same one that said the All-Star game would be pulled last week.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

That news site is a hoax, I think. It's the same one that said the All-Star gane would be pulled last week.

thanks for the heads up - i have updated the link. 

Edited by Crown

6 minutes ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

That news site is a hoax, I think. It's the same one that said the All-Star game would be pulled last week.

Here's the official statement from their facebook: 

CIRQUE DU SOLEIL WILL NOT PERFORM IN NORTH CAROLINA
CIRQUE DU SOLEIL·FRIDAY, APRIL 15, 2016

Cirque du Soleil strongly believes in diversity and equality for every individual and is opposed to discrimination in any form. The new HB2 legislation passed in North Carolina is an important regression to ensuring human rights for all. We therefore choose to cancel our scheduled performances of OVO in Greensboro (April 20-24) and our scheduled performances in Charlotte (July 6-10) and our scheduled performances of TORUK – Avatar in Raleigh (June 22-26). 

Cirque du Soleil believes in equality for all. It is a principle that guides us with both our employees and our customers. We behave as change agents to reach our ultimate goal of making a better world with our actions and our productions. 

We sincerely hope that the customers that have purchased tickets for our performances in North Carolina will understand our motivation and we look forward to performing in North Carolina when this issue is addressed. On-line and phone ticket purchases will be automatically reimbursed and in-person purchases must return to point of purchase for refunds. Customer service can be reached at 1-877-924-7783.

6 minutes ago, Crown said:

Here's the official statement from their facebook: 

CIRQUE DU SOLEIL WILL NOT PERFORM IN NORTH CAROLINA
CIRQUE DU SOLEIL·FRIDAY, APRIL 15, 2016

Cirque du Soleil strongly believes in diversity and equality for every individual and is opposed to discrimination in any form. The new HB2 legislation passed in North Carolina is an important regression to ensuring human rights for all. We therefore choose to cancel our scheduled performances of OVO in Greensboro (April 20-24) and our scheduled performances in Charlotte (July 6-10) and our scheduled performances of TORUK – Avatar in Raleigh (June 22-26). 

Cirque du Soleil believes in equality for all. It is a principle that guides us with both our employees and our customers. We behave as change agents to reach our ultimate goal of making a better world with our actions and our productions. 

We sincerely hope that the customers that have purchased tickets for our performances in North Carolina will understand our motivation and we look forward to performing in North Carolina when this issue is addressed. On-line and phone ticket purchases will be automatically reimbursed and in-person purchases must return to point of purchase for refunds. Customer service can be reached at 1-877-924-7783.

Not a hoax. Drat. Hardly a surprise, still dreadful.

• Like 1