The Bad News Report

tozmervo

Just now, caterpillar2 said:

And these silly liberals will believe Cuba is a paradise that welcomes LGBT.  Too funny. Unless you know what you are talking about, maybe you should not comment. And, you don't. Ask a Cuban.

What country are we in? Stop with these irrelevant anecdotes. We are talking about North Carolina which is part of the United States, Not Cuba! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mpretori said:

What country are we in? Stop with these irrelevant anecdotes. We are talking about North Carolina which is part of the United States, Not Cuba! 

You do realize that PayPal is going to Cuba instead of N.C.? I assume you didn't know this. If you did, you probably wouldn't have said this. I wouldn't make sense. Additionally, you do know that Cuba is not tolerant of LGBT, right?

2 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

You do realize that PayPal is going to Cuba instead of N.C.? I assume you didn't know this. If you did, you probably wouldn't have said this. I wouldn't make sense. Additionally, you do know that Cuba is not tolerant of LGBT, right?

Who the hell cares! They left NC because of the law NC passed. They just went with their second option! If the law wasn't passed, they would still be here. That's the main point. 

• Like 3

Two different things, one is a call center, we in NC already are PayPal subscribers.  Cuba is a market that can utilize the services that Pay Pal provides.  I do not recall anyone opening a call center in Cuba.  There is a big difference in providing an online service and employing people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I miss you Monsoon! you'd have banned some people by now. :-( Probably me... but others too lol

This forum would have been shut down today with what what's been going on... And we'd all get a 5 paragraph lecture. Nobody could post for a week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

And these silly liberals will believe Cuba is a paradise that welcomes LGBT.  Too funny. Unless you know what you are talking about, maybe you should not comment. And, you don't. Ask a Cuban.

I just notice that you claim to be from the Greenville/Spartanburg area?  Do you also hope that if they pull out, they go to S.C.?  Good thinking :)

I live in downtown Greenville so yes that would be awesome if they came to SC especially Greenville. However, I am not expecting that to happen. 

Edited by gman430

Why doesn't paypal just set up shop instead in York or Lancaster counties? They would still be able to pull talent from Charlotte they were trying to attract in the first place.  Added bonus of NC jobs leaving for SC but still in the metro.  Win-win for everyone ( at least for CLT )

Edited by Skyline49er

4 hours ago, HopHead said:

Yea, it will go nowhere. Connecticut is one of the least business friendly states in the country. There's a reason companies are leaving there and it has nothing to do with equal treatment of anyone. 

So they are moving to Massachusetts because it's more business friendly?  Um, no.

12 hours ago, mpretori said:

Who the hell cares! They left NC because of the law NC passed. They just went with their second option! If the law wasn't passed, they would still be here. That's the main point. 

If you really cared, you wouldn't want a company around that supports countries that oppresses gays as a normal routine. That is exact what Cuba, China, and other oppressive countries do. Supporting them or having a "who the hell cares" attitude would indicate indifference and hypocrisy. So, to answer your question, many people hopefully cares. You seriously believe that going there wasn't a plan all alone? Maybe people that believe that should "care" and wake up. I am sorry we didn't get the jobs, but it likely wasn't because of the law.

13 minutes ago, 49er said:

It's amazing to me that somehow South Carolina is seen as the more tolerant place to be now. North Carolina used to be more progressive but my have things changed. 

I'm sure Nikki Haley would trip over herself to get Charlotte to succeed from NC and become a part SC instead. 

43 minutes ago, DMann said:

My sentiments exactly.  When the Panthers were looking for money, the City, County, but not the State all ponied up.  

While I'm not a huge fan of using public money for stadiums, though it's a necessary evil, this tells you all you need to know what the backwards idiots that run the state think of Charlotte (on top of the obvious HB2 issue at hand). 

• Like 1

I'm wondering how soon people will forget this action when the Feds overturn it. Colorado passed similar small-minded legislation in 1992, and paid dearly in lost tourism revenue--but that was well before the advent of social media and a highly repetitive 24-hour news cycle. It was also before LGBT persons were included in non-discrimination policies at multi-national corporations based in the U.S., Canada, and the E.U.

I'm thinking there was far less at stake for Colorado in 1992, than there is for North Carolina in 2016.   

^ Colorado was never viewed as being part of the least tolerant corner of the country (the South), so they only had to atone for contemporary sins. North Carolina had to work -very- hard for 50 years to be viewed as more open, tolerant and welcoming to all than the states surrounding it. It was very hard work communicating to the world that we never were part of the fire hose and police dog South. Unfortunately yesterday the world watched as Berger and Moore aimed a rhetorical hose at Paypal and Jennifer Roberts.  Our 50 years of image building has been completely trashed, we are once again viewed by the world (rightly or wrongly) as just another part of a region that only superficially evolved beyond its plantation past.

It will take decades to repair the damage.  

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, DMann said:

My sentiments exactly.  When the Panthers were looking for money, the City, County, but not the State all ponied up.  

You'd be abandoning South Carolina, though, which was a key supporter in getting the team to Charlotte in the first place.

4 hours ago, Piedmont767 said:

Please can this happen. Has there every been a county that has succeeded from a state to a different state?

I doubt it. But I honestly don't think being in South Carolina would be an improvement. While it would certainly be a huge change, and it would be hard to list the impacts of moving to a new state, in the big picture, the laws in South Carolina aren't any more favorable to cities aside from the fact that they have Home Rule. If anything they are much more restrictive (aside from Home Rule). I also think that the politics there would piss off Charlotte residents, even if the state didn't 'meddle' in local affairs as much.

Edit: but for the record, I would support secession so that I could live in South Carolina without moving.

Edited by Spartan

15 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

If you really cared, you wouldn't want a company around that supports countries that oppresses gays as a normal routine. That is exact what Cuba, China, and other oppressive countries do. Supporting them or having a "who the hell cares" attitude would indicate indifference and hypocrisy. So, to answer your question, many people hopefully cares. You seriously believe that going there wasn't a plan all alone? Maybe people that believe that should "care" and wake up. I am sorry we didn't get the jobs, but it likely wasn't because of the law.

you wouldn't want a company around that supports countries that oppresses gays as a normal routine.

~that's any and every company in America that does business with these countries including every oil company, every big retailer, automobile companies Ford and GM, many tech companies, many pharma companies...shall we just tell the F500 to go away? Nevertheless, your pious, earnest and warm-hearted concern for the plight of LGBT people on Planet Earth is duly noted.

but it likely wasn't because of the law.

~it was because of the law. At a minimum, this dipcrap attack on Charlotte by the country fried scum duo of Berger and Moore in the General Assembly made PayPal's decision very, very easy.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1