First Horizon Park - Home of the Nashville Sounds

RemarkableHomes

Or, better yet, let's do our research before we dive into large public projects so we don't end up paying millions of dollars in hidden costs.

I'm perfectly fine with building a new ballpark. I would just like to know the price tag before we decide to jump in.

I'm just wondering if this is the last of it. It's going to end up being a quite expensive minor league park. 

I just feel like this (and the amphitheater or whatever would go in that space) have been under discussion forever, sometimes somebody just has to force the thing into action.  It's not ideal, but we don't live in an ideal world, we live in a political world where things can be dragged out forever.  It's getting done, and I'm happy about it.  The best thing about it is nothing about baseball, it's that it's going to help connect Germantown and the weaker side of downtown, that area's been a scary wasteland for as long as I've lived in Nashville.

• Like 2

Yes. Or AutoZone Park in Memphis, or countless others that look like a baseball stadium (vs an airport terminal).

Do we know what the Jackson St side of Carillon will look like? We know it's not retail but street facing apartments would give the street some element of humanity. If it ends up being the ass end of the building with a parking garage entrance, that would be unfortunate.

How is building a soccer stadium cool?  When I think of soccer I think of the opposite of cool.  In my day the only kids that played soccer were the kids who had parents that wouldn't let them play football.  That said; tear it down and redevelop the property. 

If someone wants to buy it and turn it into a soccer stadium for a pro team or semi-pro team, have at it.  It's not exactly the best location in town.

Yes. Or AutoZone Park in Memphis, or countless others that look like a baseball stadium (vs an airport terminal).

Do we know what the Jackson St side of Carillon will look like? We know it's not retail but street facing apartments would give the street some element of humanity. If it ends up being the ass end of the building with a parking garage entrance, that would be unfortunate.

The Greenway will run between the ballpark and the parking garage. It will be redone after the ballpark is finished.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was out at Centennial Park on MLK day and got to check it out for the first time in a couple months. It is definitely out of the ground and looking impressive so far, but I am seriously wondering how they will get it completed by then. To my layman's eyes, it looks like it has at least 6 months of work left, but we shall see I suppose.

I wish I had snapped a picture now that I think of it.

Edited by NikOnder

I was out at Centennial Park on MLK day and got to check it out for the first time in a couple months. It is definitely out of the ground and looking impressive so far, but I am seriously wondering how they will get it completed by then. To my layman's eyes, it looks like it has at least 6 months of work left, but we shall see I suppose.

I wish I had snapped a picture now that I think of it.

Well since they are working around the clock, 6 months of work can be accomplished in 3. :)

What is the seating capacity for the new stadium vs the old one? I am not sure if it has been mentioned in here yet, 28 pages is too much to search haha. 

This is not my favorite location, but I am excited to see how Nashville will embrace this. I am not a baseball fan, but I can see myself finally going to a game now. I ride my bike on the greenway all the time, so having it go by the stadium will be a great feature to me. I wonder if you will be able to watch a game from the outfield? I could see myself going for a ride and using the stadium as a spot to take a break. 

The city was so hell-bent on getting the finalized ball-park stadium built first, that logistically it has only protracted the serious parking issue, created when the city made a deal with the state for property.  The garage, and the stadium are permanently displacing state worker parking which formerly had (inefficiently) sprawled to the north end of the state mall for years.  When completed, the garage is to be shared as parking for both state employees during business periods and ball-park patrons during game times.

IMO, some arrangement should have been orchestrated well in advance to handle shared parking.  I can understand and can agree that the stadium needs to be already built and punch-listed for the upcoming season, but if the garage could not have been erected concurrently, then the entire problem gets compounded and conFOUNDed for workers, spectators, and residents of Germantown and Hope Gardens.  Currently it's just been state workers who are forced to forgo permanent parking.  It is a primary reason that I and others have elected to ride the city-bus or the RTA buses and the MCS, when we can, instead of driving, because, unless one arrives up to an hour and a half before the start of the work period (depending on which lot she/he chooses to park in), then he'll end up having to park far away, for the steep uphill trek to the office building (or use the once-in-a-while shuttle van [15-min or so]), or, if the remaining lots are full, he will have to park at LP Field, as arranged by the Metro for state workers, and then either walk or ride the MTA (or shuttle) across the bridges.

The problem with all the shuttles is that it only runs during general work-arrival and work-departure hours, and not mid-day, and during very hot, humid weather, pulling such a long walk can make a sweaty "dirt-bag" out of anyone, in a heart-beat, upon final arrival inside the workplace, and this has been a challenge for co-workers, unless they stick a wad soaked of alcohol up their noses.  Now it will need to be told just what's to be expected in Metro's kwik-phix plan for off-site game parking.  While most games would start after work hours, a few of the remaining state lots within the Bi-Centennial mall area, could be utilized for the games, since they already are free for the public during after- (and early before-) work hours, although no security is provided.  There would, however, be an overlap parking period, as gamers would arrive and workers would depart from the existing state lots, if Metro and the state could work out a deal to allow free parking to begin earlier during the afternoons on game days.  I believe, though, that security will end up becoming an issue for any shared parking, since the state has to a limited extent provided indemnity for certain kinds of incidents which have occurred on its lots during working hours.

For me, being able to ride the bus in and out, because I work downtown but live within the standard MTA coverage range, has been a way of life for the last 7 years now.
-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

Aside from cost, is there any reason the state didn't include structured parking in the Crockett and Johnson high rises on JRP? I'm also curious why the large state lots along 10th Circle North haven't been developed with more efficient structured parking. I know, politics, but still. The states solution for cars has almost exclusively been surface parking.

At the time those buildings were built, parking wasn't a concern.  The land north of the railroad was vacant or otherwise cheap.  Then, with the development of the Bicentennial Park and Farmer's Market the current parking scheme was devised to accommodate those facilities.  So, until the stadium deal, there was no need to do anything further for state employee parking.

That being said, the state has provided free transit of the MTA and RTA - a much better solution to building either a garage or surface lots.

What is the seating capacity for the new stadium vs the old one? I am not sure if it has been mentioned in here yet, 28 pages is too much to search haha. 

This is not my favorite location, but I am excited to see how Nashville will embrace this. I am not a baseball fan, but I can see myself finally going to a game now. I ride my bike on the greenway all the time, so having it go by the stadium will be a great feature to me. I wonder if you will be able to watch a game from the outfield? I could see myself going for a ride and using the stadium as a spot to take a break. 

I agree. I am not a baseball fan but I'll go see a game now. I wouldn't have went at the old location.