SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I was on the rail trail yesterday (along with the entire millennial population of Charlotte) and I stopped to take a photo of an ad hoc addition to the rail trail (arrow at right points to it slightly off screen) -- the stub path at Publix now connects to a DIY fence hole in the Atherton Mill parking lot. While I was snapping the pic these two ladies decided to take the shortcut from Atherton Mill to Sycamore. Hopping the little green fence (with fancy purses and all) did not seem to bother them a bit.

CATS _really_ needs to get on some type of ped crossing here.

Trespass.jpg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2016 at 10:45 PM, dcharlotte said:

This is an important point. 

Retail corridors take years to create, habits take forever to change, and retail submarkets are slow moving. 

Retail also needs a cluster of similar businesses to be really successful. American Apparel isn't a destination type of store (I firmly believe that nobody goes out of their way for over-priced t-shirts) and it was in a weird spot all by itself with little to no room for other clothiers nearby. I think the Atherton redevelopment will be a big time game changer for South End retail.

• Like 4

Whoever becomes the next Southend dude (cough, RDF, cough) their first order of business needs to be spending a few hundred bucks on 6-7 pedestrian counters for the rail trail. The number of people on the rail trail is huge and, if properly publicized, a boon for attracting businesses to Southend.

#Springtimebias

2 minutes ago, kermit said:

Whoever becomes the next Southend dude (cough, RDF, cough) their first order of business needs to be spending a few hundred bucks on 6-7 pedestrian counters for the rail trail. The number of people on the rail trail is huge and, if properly publicized, a boon for attracting businesses to Southend.

#Springtimebias

There already are counters. Not sure why CCCP doesnt publish them, but they have pretty accurate numbers of how many people use it.

The dog warehouse at the corner of South and Iverson was demoed today. I can't wait until the bookstore / cowork / restaurant / beer store / arcade bar* is built to replace it.

* I mean drive-through bank branch adjacent to mattress store.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Mentioned this in Charlotte Observer Redevelopment Thread but FREE PEOPLE coming to Atherton Mill. 

That's a great sign Urban's Anthro store is doing pretty well if they are adding another store at Atherton. First Free People in metro Charlotte and it is NOT at SouthPark!

• Like 1

Mac's expansion is humming along. The new addition looks to be fully enclosed and should add a good bit of space inside. Has anyone heard what the full plans are? I'd say a little over half of the deck is now gone. Is that going to be expanded around the side or something?  They definitely can't have a band out there with what is left now.

On 3/2/2016 at 7:33 PM, kermit said:

The dog warehouse at the corner of South and Iverson was demoed today. I can't wait until the bookstore / cowork / restaurant / beer store / arcade bar* is built to replace it.

* I mean drive-through bank branch adjacent to mattress store.

Is there really a bank branch going there or was that a sarcastic asterisk?

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:53 AM, kermit said:

I was on the rail trail yesterday (along with the entire millennial population of Charlotte) and I stopped to take a photo of an ad hoc addition to the rail trail (arrow at right points to it slightly off screen) -- the stub path at Publix now connects to a DIY fence hole in the Atherton Mill parking lot. While I was snapping the pic these two ladies decided to take the shortcut from Atherton Mill to Sycamore. Hopping the little green fence (with fancy purses and all) did not seem to bother them a bit.

CATS _really_ needs to get on some type of ped crossing here.

Trespass.jpg

I just did a walk the other day from Public through uptown. Is there any plan to have a walkover or some means to cross over the tracks from Publix?  I would really love to see it possible someday to walk through uptown without having to run into these barricades. Any updates? We can't just leave it as is.

53 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

I just did a walk the other day from Publix through uptown. Is there any plan to have a walkover or some means to cross over the tracks from Publix?  I would really love to see it possible someday to walk through uptown without having to run into these barricades. Any updates? We can't just leave it as is.

The trade-off to a pedestrian crossing here is a longer ride on the train.

There will be a stop here eventually. It's going to take time. CATS/LYNX is preoccupied on the BLE and there are only so many resources to go around. Edens is not going to invest close to a half a billion dollars and not politically influence for there to be a stop here. It will happen, and it is unlikely a "quick fix" or a PED stop will happen at all.

here is the backside of the South blvd boring office project. Lots of site work which I assume has gotta be all parking. This really feels like a waste of space. Some small and cheap retail space might have worked against the rail trail. Good visibility to all the snake people on the trail, great patio potential,  the cachet of being hidden from South blvd plus a nice complementary use of parking for the office building. Just example number 5264 of how our current zoning and development patterns are FUBAR.

office.jpg

Charlotte's townhouse developments are all starting to trend towards the "Modern" "Modernist" "Futurist" aesthetic. Its always 24-30 identical buildings spread about on a block. Check out these ones in Oklahoma City. They are more traditional, have a ton of variety, and make themselves look like a proper neighborhood. Just once I'd like to see something like this happen in SouthEnd. I know there are 30 or so townhouses being built on Kee and Summit. I wish they would look like this. 

24110966335_6f2251d2ec_b.jpg

24306282425_c56ba858c4_b.jpg

11 minutes ago, kermit said:

anyone have a sense if the Trinity office project (14 stories) at Morehead and Tryon is still alive? I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to walk away given the announcements we have seen since these plans came out.

It died officially

What killed that project is that 500 Morehead a 7 story 180,000 sq ft building broke ground and it is always a race to get going. I heard rumors they have some tenants for their space already.  And they have webcam to follow construction just footings and foundation work now.

http://500emorehead.com/

https://oxblue.com/pro/login.php?webPath=balfourbeatty/500emorehead

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Charlotte's townhouse developments are all starting to trend towards the "Modern" "Modernist" "Futurist" aesthetic. Its always 24-30 identical buildings spread about on a block. Check out these ones in Oklahoma City. They are more traditional, have a ton of variety, and make themselves look like a proper neighborhood. Just once I'd like to see something like this happen in SouthEnd. I know there are 30 or so townhouses being built on Kee and Summit. I wish they would look like this. 

24306282425_c56ba858c4_b.jpg

EVERY parking deck in Uptown could be wrapped with these. Each facade is different, unique, and not too different from the one prior. They even used multiple types of brick! 

THEN you tell me this is in OKC?! Ok, Charlotte. 

• Like 1

I noticed an excavator clearing trees behind the nice building occupied by Fink & Hayes law firm at 1208 S.Tryon next to the CBJ building:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1208+S+Tryon+St,+Charlotte,+NC+28203/@35.2192762,-80.8536436,20z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x88569f800f9f773b:0x22847558f513203b

Does anyone know if something is going to be built in the empty lot behind it?  

I know the adjoining lot was once occupied by a car dealership.  It baffles me why these run down buildings still exist and nothing is in the works.  Feral cats live there.  Maybe the underground contamination and environmental remediation is just not worth the expense?