SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 8:11 PM, kermit said:

Around 5:30 tonight there was a anti-deportation march heading north along South blvd. Without commenting on the cause of the march itself, I found it remarkable that South blvd is now viewed as enough of a public space to be worthy of a being a stage for a protest. Just a year or two ago it was simply a road, I think this march symbolizes that it is now more than that.

(my photo does not do the march justice, it was around 300 people)

march_southend.jpg

Could a riot be accommodated?  Good news, I'm sure from an investors prospective, or not.

Edited by caterpillar2

On March 10, 2016 at 5:21 PM, kermit said:

here is the backside of the South blvd boring office project. Lots of site work which I assume has gotta be all parking. This really feels like a waste of space. Some small and cheap retail space might have worked against the rail trail. Good visibility to all the snake people on the trail, great patio potential,  the cachet of being hidden from South blvd plus a nice complementary use of parking for the office building. Just example number 5264 of how our current zoning and development patterns are FUBAR.

office.jpg

So after a rather embarrassing exchange on Twitter with MPV. I called them out for this project. Well it turns out there will be a parking deck, art, trees and azaleas facing the rail trail, plus a landscaped path leading from the building to the rail trail. This was after 3 revisions with the city, but yea, so this shouldn't be as bad as we thought.

30 minutes ago, hambone931 said:

How will this work? The rail trail is on the other side of the tracks.

It will eventually be on both sides of the track. Here is a snapshot of this area.

56f177918ab23_ScreenShot2016-03-22at12.4

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

So after a rather embarrassing exchange on Twitter with MPV. I called them out for this project. Well it turns out there will be a parking deck, art, trees and azaleas facing the rail trail, plus a landscaped path leading from the building to the rail trail. This was after 3 revisions with the city, but yea, so this shouldn't be as bad as we thought.

LOL that was a great exchange!

12 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

The sad thing is these guys are more responsive than AvidXchange.

haha, We trolled them hard, no response. But nobody is worse than LevineProperties.

I thought the project was solid to start but did have issues. The developer listened to the community and added retail. Design still looks a tad apartment-y and the Tryon side sucks but it's good. Still has a bit of cars behind bars, but there's gonna be parking on site, won't be stacked and won't be underground so not too much more to do. It's a very solid addition to the area. Thoughts? (BTW this is the hotel at Kingston and Tryon). 

2016-03-15-FirstFloor.jpg

2016-03-15-DayExteriorRendering.jpg

2016-03-15-Elevation.jpg

2016-03-15-NightExteriorRendering.jpg

2016-03-15-ExteriorRendering.jpg

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

The poor poor, 2/3 of Park and Kingston that have 10 ft +/- between their window and the next building. Sometimes buildings shouldn't be 4 sided, when the adjoining property is destined to be redeveloped.

Great Project. There are a couple more hotels under development in SouthEnd. Should have 3-5 hotels in SouthEnd and Dilworth in the next few years.

Edited by Guest

A common theme to these posts is that all new buildings HAVE to have retail built into the street facing sides of the buildings, and while I agree in theory that would be great I sometimes wonder how practical it is. Everyday I drive home from work I come up 6th street and see the two corners of courtside at 6th and Caldwell and 6th and Davidson that have been empty for years. 6th and Caldwell has had many restaurants fail over the years. There is also the corner of 6th and Church where Dilengers was the last place to fail and has been empty for close to 2 years now. What is better, an empty space or nothing at all? I'm not saying either is right or wrong, I just think it's not as easy as build it and they will come (and succeed)

31 minutes ago, Ryan20 said:

A common theme to these posts is that all new buildings HAVE to have retail built into the street facing sides of the buildings, and while I agree in theory that would be great I sometimes wonder how practical it is. Everyday I drive home from work I come up 6th street and see the two corners of courtside at 6th and Caldwell and 6th and Davidson that have been empty for years. 6th and Caldwell has had many restaurants fail over the years. There is also the corner of 6th and Church where Dilengers was the last place to fail and has been empty for close to 2 years now. What is better, an empty space or nothing at all? I'm not saying either is right or wrong, I just think it's not as easy as build it and they will come (and succeed)

The most annoying thing about most new retail in the urban developments is that it just ends up being a bunch of restaurants, bars, and coffee shops. Maybe I'm weird and don't drop $400 a week eating out and make most of my meals at home. A row of restaurants doesn't equal urban and walkable to me because most days of the week I can't get my basics on foot. I still have to get in my car to drive and get anything practical because the footprint available for a lot of the street facing retail isn't big enough, the cost per square foot is too high for anything not selling alcohol. or the location is just weird and hard to access.

Edited by CLT2014

25 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The most annoying thing about most new retail in the urban developments is that it just ends up being a bunch of restaurants, bars, and coffee shops. Maybe I'm weird and don't drop $400 a week eating out and make most of my meals at home. A row of restaurants doesn't equal urban and walkable to me because most days of the week I can't get my basics on foot. I still have to get in my car to drive and get anything practical because the footprint available for a lot of the street facing retail isn't big enough, the cost per square foot is too high for anything not selling alcohol. or the location is just weird and hard to access.

I've seen a few bars/clothing stores in my day. Maybe that kind of concept could help fill the white space for soft goods retail.

51 minutes ago, Ryan20 said:

The issue with not including retail, especially in regards to apartments, is that you can't go back after the fact.  The city is going to continue to add density, specifically in the core.  At some point that figure hits critical mass and the demand for retail space will continue to rise.  If we don't require retail now and everyone gets to build without that precedent, you're left with a bunch of apartment super blocks and no where for anyone to walk to.  I'd rather have an empty space for a couple more years that eventually fills out and serves the community it was built for.  Otherwise you are left with downtown Houston.

That said, I don't think retail on Tryon is really necessary.  My HOPE, is that South Blvd continues to pedestrianize (is that a word?) and Tryon becomes more of the focus for thoroughfare traffic through south end.  If that's the case, no one is going to stroll Tryon anyways, so the desire for retail for me is pretty limited.  But a street like Kingston or Park, intersecting with Camden?  Absolutely a necessity.

• Like 1