SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

I guess borderline Dilworth, but the CHA is accepting development proposals for the Strawn Tower site.  Glad to see this project is back in play.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/12/charlotte-housing-authority-seeks-development.html

I hope it's a massive 5 story stick built beige apartment building above a two story parking deck that covers the entire 16-acre plot.  That way, we can have 3,000+ apartments that stay within the overall design motif for Southend, plus have plenty of parking for the artsy types that will drive in from around the country to see the award winning architecture of the DFA building and its signature art lobby that is sure to rival the Met.

Sarcasm aside, this could actually be a very transformative project, and almost anything will look better than what's there now.  Here's hoping that it doesn't become more of the same we are used to seeing in Southend, and it truly is a project where the highest and best use-for the entire community-is what is actually built.

Edited by cltbwimob

OK, so driving home from work the other day, I took a right on Kingston from Tryon (going north) to avoid some backed up traffic. As I drove up the street towards Camden, I felt enclosed (in a good way). This section of road has the most urban feel of anywhere in Southend. Mid-rises surround you. I need to take a photo...it was like I was in another city...for one block. I drove that way the next night and got the same feel. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2015, 3:17:38, Niner National said:

Would love to see another brewery there. With the breweries, distilleries, and I think a 2nd cidery is opening in that area too, that could eventually turn into a really unique district. I doubt many, if any other cities, would have such a high concentration of breweries/distilleries in a walkable area. It's getting time that  the city do some pedestrian and streetscape enhancements on those streets. There are no sidewalks right now.

Not sure if has been mentioned yet but the folks at Great Wagon Road Distillery are opening the Broken Spoke bar in the same building as the distillery (in between Olde Meck and Sugar Creek.  Great way to get around the weird ABC spirits tasting room rules and get your product into consumers bellies.  

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/charlottes-oldest-distillery-to-open-southend-bar/#.VmcuSrgrK00

We went to a concept like this in Milwaukee and really enjoyed it. Lots of signature drinks using the housemade spirits along with being able to buy shots to share, etc. No need to book tours, etc. 

Edit: Agenda has pictures and full write-up today:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/29742/insider-new-great-wagon-road-distillery-sister-bar-broken-spoke-jaw-dropping/

Edited by InSouthPark

This is more of just a general rambling, but I'm actually surprised with how much worse 1100 South Blvd is than I thought in terms of killing any chance of pedestrian activity along S Blvd.  There is an effective dead zone (as seen below) of absolutely no human scale along what is touted as one of our most dense corridors.  Even with the addition of the future Crescent project, the barrier that 277 creates, you are greeted on the other side of 277 with giant, soulless walls really until you get to Helles and Dunkel (and really, that's even a stretch).

Unless they can do something on the other side of S Blvd, I don't see any way possible the city can salvage connectivity between South End and Uptown along that corridor.  Who is going to "stroll" from Whole Foods nearly a mile back to humanity?  

Capturesouth.thumb.PNG.e45a7f368b5723d0a

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

This is more of just a general rambling, but I'm actually surprised with how much worse 1100 South Blvd is than I thought in terms of killing any chance of pedestrian activity along S Blvd.  There is an effective dead zone (as seen below) of absolutely no human scale along what is touted as one of our most dense corridors.  Even with the addition of the future Crescent project, the barrier that 277 creates, you are greeted on the other side of 277 with giant, soulless walls really until you get to Helles and Dunkel (and really, that's even a stretch).

Unless they can do something on the other side of S Blvd, I don't see any way possible the city can salvage connectivity between South End and Uptown along that corridor.  Who is going to "stroll" from Whole Foods nearly a mile back to humanity?  

I agree completely but never had very high hopes for South Blvd itself through this area ever since the previously proposed mixed use project was scrapped. What really gets me is that pathetic corner "plaza" facing LRT and Carson.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nonillogical said:

I agree completely but never had very high hopes for South Blvd itself through this area ever since the previously proposed mixed use project was scrapped. What really gets me is that pathetic corner "plaza" facing LRT and Carson.

Don't forget that pointless outdoor seating area that no one in a million years would use.

1 hour ago, NYCLT said:

Don't forget that pointless outdoor seating area that no one in a million years would use.

I used to get so excited about every single midrise and high rise. Now a days all I see is this.

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 12.26.20 PM.png

The back side of this building (facing the Light Rail trail) just north of the Pepsi site is much more interesting than the "front" on South. Not saying much.

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I used to get so excited about every single midrise and high rise. Now a days all I see is this.

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 12.26.20 PM.png

11 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

The back side of this building (facing the Light Rail trail) just north of the Pepsi site is much more interesting than the "front" on South. Not saying much.

I can't say I agree with you.  That building is s**t from every angle.  It looks like a fallout bunker that they slapped brick on to for the first 2 floors.

Edited by ah59396

12 hours ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

To build a 5 story apartments on the vast amount of land is a sin.  Build a 10 story and have  a small park or green space.

Piedmont767, we Americans love our cars. Sidewalks are generally for those that walk or jog for exercise, not for getting from one place to another.  In most cases, even if someone works three of four blocks down the street, they will chose to drive. I am a walker and walk everywhere I can. My friends ask me, why do I walk as if I am weird. Unfortunately, unless one lives in NYC or San Francisco or a couple of other places, walking is the method transportation as so many Americans live in suburbs and not in town as so many do in London. I lived all over London, Lancaster Gate, Earl's Court, North Finchley, Hampstead, and Golder's Green. I never owned a car there as it was such an inconvenience to park, etc. And, the zone charge is outrageous as well.  Nevertheless, sidewalks are becoming more and more a way of life even here in the U.S. and the Charlotte area. I live in Cornelius and six years ago, walking wasn't possible due to the lack of sidewalks.  I am so happy that today that isn't the case. I have a FitBit and I have no problem getting in my steps thanks to the improvement of sidewalks. To be honest, there are many walkable neighborhoods, but you don't really see that many walkers. I am often in the south side of town and when I walk down Park Road from Woodlawn towards Tyvola, it is frightening, The narrow sidewalk is right there on the road. I can see lots of upgrading in the future.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 4:59 AM, Piedmont767 said:

Sidewalks seem to be something the USA doesn't do particularly well, you can be walking and the sidewalk just stops (though not so much in downtown areas, such as Uptown). I am from the UK, and  we put sidewalks (pavements) nearly everywhere, and normally they are quite wide. Makes it very easy to walk nearly everywhere. 

Sidewalks in neighborhoods are built for two people unfortunately. At least they are wide uptown Charlotte except for some side roads like 5th Street. I see changes in the future for the good.

Looks like the city-owned exit ramp parcel next to the Grandview will become "rental townhomes" rather than the previously discussed midrise (was it a hotel?)

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/12/camden-planning-rental-townhome-project-next-to.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2015-12-21&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1450730566

Seems like a strange choice for this parcel given access and traffic noise.

edit: thanks rdf, I thought of neither the view nor that Camden owned both parcels. Doh!

Edited by kermit

9 minutes ago, kermit said:

Looks like the city-owned exit ramp parcel next to the Grandview will become "rental townhomes" rather than the previously discussed midrise (was it a hotel?)

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/12/camden-planning-rental-townhome-project-next-to.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2015-12-21&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1450730566

Seems like a strange choice for this parcel given access and traffic noise.

haha. Honestly it makes perfect sense. Clearly Camden is okay taking a loss on the property, in order to preserve the "Grand View" Of Camden Grandview. 26 rental townhouses does not pay for a multimillion dollar property, thats for sure.

19 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

haha. Honestly it makes perfect sense. Clearly Camden is okay taking a loss on the property, in order to preserve the "Grand View" Of Camden Grandview. 26 rental townhouses does not pay for a multimillion dollar property, thats for sure.

That's gotta be a massive loss considering they're paying nearly $150,000 per unit for the land. On top of that, I'm sure they're paying RED partners a fee for the assignment of the contract plus they're going to have a really costly site work number given the retaining walls and off-site improvements they'll have to construct. I'm sure these will be $4000+ per month type units targeting more mature renters by choice, but there's no way this deal pencils on it's own without factoring in the loss of rent they'd have if there were a building 5' from their existing apartments ala Park & Kingston & the 1616 deck. 

3 hours ago, Prodev said:

That's gotta be a massive loss considering they're paying nearly $150,000 per unit for the land. On top of that, I'm sure they're paying RED partners a fee for the assignment of the contract plus they're going to have a really costly site work number given the retaining walls and off-site improvements they'll have to construct. I'm sure these will be $4000+ per month type units targeting more mature renters by choice, but there's no way this deal pencils on it's own without factoring in the loss of rent they'd have if there were a building 5' from their existing apartments ala Park & Kingston & the 1616 deck. 

Just for fun, I began calculating the payback period for this investment and I hit a snag as I am not at all an expert in this (just using a basic discount cash flow model). We know how much they paid for the land ($150,000 x 26 based on the above post), we can make an assumption about building costs using comparable project budgets (haven't done any research), but I'm having trouble coming up with the cash flows (we can make an assumption about rent - $4000 per in the above post - but I have no clue how much of that they would actually take home after operating expenses like property management, taxes, insurance, etc.) - anyone more versed in this topic want to chime in on how firms make these decisions?

It appears that the Seattle apartment market has topped out. Landlords are offering rent concessions now in the top end of the rental category.
Could be foreshadowing or it could be nothing. Seems like we have the same forces at work here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/morning_call/2015/12/report-finds-alarming-deterioration-of-seattle.html

There was no opposition at the public hearing of the 7-story apartment complex planned for the parking lot at Poindexter and South Blvd.  5 stories above 2 stories of podium parking with 210 apartments.   I like that they seem to be screening the parking garage with ground level "townhome" style units, although I think the garage access should be on Poindexter instead of South Blvd.  

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article51095675.html

A view of planned apartments at Poindexter Drive and South Boulevard, from South Boulevard. Filed as part of a rezoning request by The Bainbridge Companies.

Edited by rjp212

I could never decide when I lived in Sedgefield how I felt about that shopping center; it was a horrible auto design, but it had great businesses that definitely benefited from the age and status of the strip. Overall, I do think it'll be a valuable project because the parking lot o f those strips was like a giant crater that hurt biking and walking (especially with new Bern station right there).

I will miss the brick duplexes though. Amazing examples of 1940s density.

• Like 1