SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

1 hour ago, southslider said:

^Except South Blvd carries a lot more traffic than S Tryon St, like 38,000 compared to 25,000 daily vehicles.

No, I agree.  I just mean purely from a standpoint of which road has the large majority of dense construction and retail occurring, S Blvd is clearly more ripe to be the more walkable of the two.

On March 23, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Ryan20 said:

A common theme to these posts is that all new buildings HAVE to have retail built into the street facing sides of the buildings, and while I agree in theory that would be great I sometimes wonder how practical it is. Everyday I drive home from work I come up 6th street and see the two corners of courtside at 6th and Caldwell and 6th and Davidson that have been empty for years. 6th and Caldwell has had many restaurants fail over the years. There is also the corner of 6th and Church where Dilengers was the last place to fail and has been empty for close to 2 years now. What is better, an empty space or nothing at all? I'm not saying either is right or wrong, I just think it's not as easy as build it and they will come (and succeed)

1) that's not entirely accurate. 6th & Davidson has had an active business in it for several years. 2) 6th & Caldwell has a corner market now (though the blue building is vacant) and, 3) Dillengers closed because the new owners of that office tower  jacked the rent up so they decided not to renew their lease. They were profitable otherwise. 

I agree that arbitrary retail requirements don't make sense. Especially if the market won't support it. However, that is no excuse for not having active ground floor uses. It doesn't have to be retail, but it does need to be occupied. 

21 hours ago, Ryan20 said:

This really sucks for the people that are moving into Helix. It doesn't say how tall the structure will be but may block some of their view.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article69176552.html?utm_content=bufferea0d7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

That's part of living in a city unfortunately.

I just had some big ugly high tension power lines go up in front of my window, partially obscuring my view of the Duke Energy Center. I had a nice clean view of most of the skyline before that, now I have ugly wires mucking it up, but that's part of life I suppose.

Anyway, glad to see some parking coming to SouthEnd. I'm sure it won't be free for the general public, but convenience has a price. I wish we could get decks in NoDa and Plaza Midwood too.

• 2 weeks later...

So help me out with this folks. Looking at the old Sedgefield SC parcel (where the new Teeter is going) it sure does appear that the Southern 70% of the parcel has been graded and curbs have been poured for surface parking. The photo below was taken through chain link and does not accurately represent the depth of the space that has been graded for parking. In short, WTF? Has the plan for a street fronting center changed?

IMG_20160410_160710304.jpg

Edited by kermit

That's very perplexing. Even if they HAD changed the site plan, pouring that kind of work is way out of sequence - the construction of an actual building would destroy those curbs and they would have to be redone. I wonder if they're providing temporary parking for something?

^ is that a joke?

Guess I just misread the renderings. I had really thought we were looking at much more retail space and much less (or at least more dispersed) parking. I also thought the Teeter was going to back up on South blvd rather than having it up against Poindexter. Certainly not the first time I have booted a site plan.

I may have just become a Publix shopper.

Edited by kermit

4 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I thought that was always the plan for that location.  Those small retail buildings would be the restaurant with rooftop deck and other uses.  They have a pretty solid redevelopment website.

http://www.sedgefieldredevelopment.com/

I don't understand the white rectangles behind the retail in this image.  Is that supposed to be the HT....because that doesn't make sense to me? 

south-blvd-retail.png

Edited by grodney

50 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ is that a joke?

Guess I just misread the renderings. I had really thought we were looking at much more retail space and much less (or at least more dispersed) parking. I also thought the Teeter was going to back up on South blvd rather than having it up against Poindexter. Certainly not the first time I have booted a site plan.

I may have just become a Publix shopper.

Parcel B which is the remaining old shopping center will have more retail/office and I'm guessing no additional parking from the site plan.  If that's the case and this surface lot is to support both redevelopments then I could stomach it.

Only concerning thing is this parcel says it won't be developed for AT LEAST 3 years.

mid-century-modern-mixed-use.png

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

looking at the photo above with all the current construction activity..  does anyone know the total economic impact since the light rail started operations?  Has built & planned passed 2bb yet? 

hey, and there will be another building where you see the Pepsi Trucks in this picture.

On 3/22/2016 at 0:00 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

So after a rather embarrassing exchange on Twitter with MPV. I called them out for this project. Well it turns out there will be a parking deck, art, trees and azaleas facing the rail trail, plus a landscaped path leading from the building to the rail trail. This was after 3 revisions with the city, but yea, so this shouldn't be as bad as we thought.

here is the parking deck fronting the rail trail. I have one word, Awesome! /sarcasm/

Can we begin the public shaming now?

deck.jpg

On a different note I heard today that during GE's very brief flirtation with Charlotte they were considering Southend (not uptown) for their office space. (I am not saying we came close to landing them, we were only token players)

Edited by kermit

6 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Based on the parcel size, looks like it'll probably only be 7 units.

I think I'm the only person who hates this idea. I think the existing building offers more to Camden than 7 apartment units will. 

Just knock down the ugly white fence, turn the entire frontage into a street front patio, give it the old "haberdish" treatment, add in roll up garage doors, brick, and bam, you have an awesome restaurant space.

Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 9.19.46 AM.png