SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

7 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I noticed an excavator clearing trees behind the nice building occupied by Fink & Hayes law firm at 1208 S.Tryon next to the CBJ building:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1208+S+Tryon+St,+Charlotte,+NC+28203/@35.2192762,-80.8536436,20z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x88569f800f9f773b:0x22847558f513203b

Does anyone know if something is going to be built in the empty lot behind it?  

I know the adjoining lot was once occupied by a car dealership.  It baffles me why these run down buildings still exist and nothing is in the works.  Feral cats live there.  Maybe the underground contamination and environmental remediation is just not worth the expense?

Spectrum is building apartments on this lot, and giving a strip of parking to the old Business Journal Building. 

14 minutes ago, Prodev said:

The earthwork is for the additional parking for the office only. Spectrum's plans aren't fully developed yet and nothing has been submitted to the city

Thx.  Here's the latest CBJ article I could find about the site:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/09/property-swap-paves-way-for-new-development-in.html

Two property owners have swapped real estate in South End, paving the way for a new development on South Tryon Street.

Late last month, two companies controlled by the Luski family purchased a .68-acre parcel at the intersection of South Tryon and West Catherine streets for $1.28 million. The seller of the property was 1100 South Tryon Real Estate Partners, the owner of the nearby 1100 South Tryon office building, which had used the site for overflow parking.

2 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Yeah this one is pretty bad. That beautiful old house thing is getting torn down for....a surface lot. Oh Charlotte 

Building was built in 1986. I'm more worried about the awesome old warehouse with street frontage going away for spectrum and parking being constructed for the old CBJ building.

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Building was built in 1986. I'm more worried about the awesome old warehouse with street frontage going away for spectrum and parking being constructed for the old CBJ building.

RDF21:  Didn't you once post a cool re-design for the frontage of that old car dealership in this forum?  If I remember it was like 2 years ago... :)

7 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

RDF21:  Didn't you once post a cool re-design for the frontage of that old car dealership in this forum?  If I remember it was like 2 years ago... :)

Yea :-( I even submitted a proposal to Stone Brewing company that probably got laughed at since the building was apparently 35-40k too small. LOL 

In summary... I love that building. :-(

Edited by Guest

I saw the signage for the new townhomes that'll be built across from Midnight Diner (Central Living at Carson).  They say prices will start at $700K for the 11 townhomes that will go on sale.   

They are aiming at retiring boomers who want to leave their McMansions in the burbs or jet-setting individuals looking to have a base in Charlotte they can stay in half the time or rent out.

What are people's thoughts on that type of pricing?

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

What are people's thoughts on that type of pricing?

IMO there is a healthy market for that in some select spots in Southend (Summit and Southwood!). However, the shadow of a snake person filled, poorly constructed multifamily project facing the Midnight Diner (which is always really busy at 3am) is not a place I would want to pioneer the market.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kermit said:

IMO there is a healthy market for that in some select spots in Southend (Summit and Southwood!). However, the shadow of a snake person filled, poorly constructed multifamily project facing the Midnight Diner (which is always really busy at 3am) is not a place I would want to pioneer the market.

Actually the finishes of these buildings are going to be top notch. I talked at length with a lady at David Weekly. This will be the nicest properties they've ever built.

On 1/26/2016 at 7:18 AM, Jayvee said:

The hotel group presented their revised plans last night. They've made considerable changes to the original plan based on neighborhood feedback: Some highlights:

• added 4000 sq ft of retail space (up to two spaces, not including a 700 sq ft kitchen). One on W. Kingston and the other at the corner of Kingston and Tryon.
  • price per sq ft is in the low 30s, same as 1616 Center and Camden Gallery. Seems like a tough sell for this location.
  • materials will be red brick, black steel and white stucco (this design was the popular choice among the neighborhoods)
  • added a 2nd level terrace and more windows/rooms facing W. Kingston in order to "better engage the park" 
  • they officially have a hotel partner. Price per night will be in the $125/150 range.

According to them, the deal will be dead without an exception to the height limit during the zoning change request. Not sure why this would be a problem since the DFA site is about twice the height. Planned groundbreaking is late 2016.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0097.JPG

I believe parking is the same except they moved the W. Kingston entrance further towards Camden in order to make room for the new retail. He made a comment about how parking won't be necessary in 10-20 years when we are all using self-driving cars. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by lewy2000

33 minutes ago, lewy2000 said:

I believe parking is the same except they moved the W. Kingston entrance further towards Camden in order to make room for the new retail. He made a comment about how parking won't be necessary in 10-20 years when we are all using self-driving cars. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Does he expect the self driving cars to just drive around aimlessly while we sleep in the cushy hotel beds?

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Does he expect the self driving cars to just drive around aimlessly while we sleep in the cushy hotel beds?

The idea is that they will be able to drive themselves out to a centralized parking area which can be much more dense/compact than what human drivers can manage.

On 3/14/2016 at 10:36 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Charlotte's townhouse developments are all starting to trend towards the "Modern" "Modernist" "Futurist" aesthetic. Its always 24-30 identical buildings spread about on a block. Check out these ones in Oklahoma City. They are more traditional, have a ton of variety, and make themselves look like a proper neighborhood. Just once I'd like to see something like this happen in SouthEnd. I know there are 30 or so townhouses being built on Kee and Summit. I wish they would look like this. 

24110966335_6f2251d2ec_b.jpg

24306282425_c56ba858c4_b.jpg

These are awesome.

Around 5:30 tonight there was a anti-deportation march heading north along South blvd. Without commenting on the cause of the march itself, I found it remarkable that South blvd is now viewed as enough of a public space to be worthy of a being a stage for a protest. Just a year or two ago it was simply a road, I think this march symbolizes that it is now more than that.

(my photo does not do the march justice, it was around 300 people)

march_southend.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/15/2016 at 1:44 PM, Prodev said:

The Southpount at South End townhomes being built by Hopper is adding a Phase 2 with 28 additional units (53 units in current plan). The site they've picked up is at 301 Remount. 

Do you have anymore info on this? So now they are looking at 81 total units? The first phase of 22 sold out. Now they have released phase 2 with 13 more units. Still 18 others to go.