SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I mean there are things that have been speculated about in the Media and on here that have yet to be announced.

• Furman's involvement in the rest of Skyhouse land, for instance. That hasn't been announced by the Charlotte observer, but renderings are on this site, and charlotte agenda has covered it, albeit loosely. That project is, as I understand, moving forward. Includes a 20+ floor building. 

• There is the Polk Building, Northwood Ravin is exploring their options. 

• RFP responses were submitted to the county for Brooklyn Village/Bob Walton Plaza. Those projects would be in excess of 800million, maybe 1 billion dollars. 

• Homeplate Lofts, again, loosely covered by charlotte agenda. This one might actually be a next cycle kind of project. 

• Charlotte Observer. This is going to be a $1B+ project. Multiple 20+ floor buildings.

• Crescent Stonewall Station, there are still 2 hotels to announce. 

• Northwood Ravin Stonewall – 17 floors plus office. Announced on here, but not yet to the public.

• Tryon Place, still a hotel to announce. 

None of that is new. But some of its Major. 

I know of two 20+ floor buildings under development, not announced on here, that'll hopefully will be announced soon. 

Thankyou for your fast and detailed reply :tw_grin: Could you guess what percentage of those are uptown? 

Edit: Apologies for talking about uptown in this thread. 

Edited by mpretori

31 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Thankyou for your fast and detailed reply :tw_grin: Could you guess what percentage of those are uptown? 

Edit: Apologies for talking about uptown in this thread. 

There's a couple big projects uptown, they go in the haven't been announced and under development category. But we will see lol.

I just really enjoyed reading your short list you put together there RDF. Thanks!

The fact that you mentioned Brooklyn village here is exciting and surprising. I thought we were at least a decade away from seeing anything significant from that (unless they end up doing it a bit at a time).

5 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I just really enjoyed reading your short list you put together there RDF. Thanks!

The fact that you mentioned Brooklyn village here is exciting and surprising. I thought we were at least a decade away from seeing anything significant from that (unless they end up doing it a bit at a time).

We are a decade away from a full build out. So anyways, SouthEnd stuff....

On 3/14/2016 at 10:36 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Charlotte's townhouse developments are all starting to trend towards the "Modern" "Modernist" "Futurist" aesthetic. Its always 24-30 identical buildings spread about on a block. Check out these ones in Oklahoma City. They are more traditional, have a ton of variety, and make themselves look like a proper neighborhood. Just once I'd like to see something like this happen in SouthEnd. I know there are 30 or so townhouses being built on Kee and Summit. I wish they would look like this. 

Random 3 month bump but is there any additional information regarding the townhouses planned on this location?  Not the best at navigating the county's rezoning pages but I didn't come across anything for this spot on Summit.

I am pretty new to this thread but it is a great read.  Does anyone know what is going on at Brook Hill on Remount?  It looks like they are tearing down half of the place. Thx

Edited by amgn8

6 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I just tried to go to Off Broadway Shoes to buy myself some dang diddly shoes, and I make three u turns before I realize there's a parking garage where it used to be.

Womp womp

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On south blvd? It's still there. You are referring to the new development that is next to it.

I drove by Brookhill yesterday morning.  There are many homes which appear to be in the dismantling process.  The siding has been ripped off several structures and windows are boarded up with plywood.  Not sure if this is a renovation job or something else...

If you've noticed the new curbs poured for Solis SouthEnd next door, the future back of curb looks to be about 12-15 feet back at it's furthest point. As part of their project, South Blvd will be widened to the north, so that large grassy knoll in front of Off Broadway will be reduced drastically. It doesn't change the fact that there will still be a surface parking lot between the road and the store though. 

With Pappas' widening of South, Atherton's widening, and the widening from the Marsh redevelopment, South Blvd is going to be FAST, which means pedestrian connection between south end and Dilworth is going to get even worse. The on-street parking helps, but not much.  

The idea is to have bike-lanes and on-street parking eventually correct?

I see that Atherton just applied for land-use approval for street improvements, which I assume is taking the curb back.

One thing that should help, is that a stop-light is going in at McDonald and South Blvd.

SouthBlvd-STryonSt-2016-w.png

City staff is conducting a public design charrette for two corridor study projects. The study boundaries are:
• South Boulevard from Carson Boulevard to Clanton Road, and
• South Tryon Street from Carson Boulevard to Clanton Road.
The studies’ purpose is to improve pedestrian and bicyclist conditions within the two corridors. City Council and the public are invited to participate in the design charrette, which will be held at the Charlotte Trolley Museum at 1507 Camden Road. The design charrette schedule is as follows:
• Monday, May 16 – 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (drop-in anytime)
o Public Workshop: Opportunity to offer thoughts and suggestions before the design team begins work.
• Tuesday, May 17 & Wednesday, May 18 – 8:00 a.m. to 12 pm. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. (drop-in)
o Open Design Studio: Observe work in progress and offer feedback on the initial recommendations.
• Thursday, May 19 – 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
o Public Open House: View charrette results and provide feedback on the preliminary recommendations.
This four-day charrette will be an intensive and transparent process. For most of that time, the design studio will be open and accessible to the public. The charrette model allows residents and stakeholders to observe the work in progress, provide feedback to the design team, and watch their ideas take shape in preliminary concept drawings. This interactive process will culminate with the public open house on Thursday evening, when the design team will present its preliminary recommendations for further public comment.
More information is available at the project website: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Transportation/PlansProjects/Pages/ArterialCorridorStudy-SouthBlvd-STryon-Parkwood.aspx

Edited by uptownliving

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

RFP for a master-developer is out (I don't think they've selected a developer and I'm not sure who is bidding).  See this as a general guide as to what the CHA is looking for:

http://axiomarchitecture.com/uncategorized/strawn-master-plan/

Isn't this pretty old? Is that still the overall plan?

That's still the general plan as it ties to the rezoning petition CHA filed after this plan was completed.  I would view it more as guidelines though of what the CHA is expecting a master developer to proposed.  Actual site-plan and densities will certainly be dictated by market conditions.

In other words....anyone submitting for the RFP should view what is shown in that link as a visual for what the CHA thinks should be built.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kermit said:

Hawkins and Worthington:

IMG_20160605_121603492_HDR.jpg

Wait, is that the walls with nothing inside that have been standing for a while on the northwest corner, or the neat buildings with businesses in them on the northeast corner? It looks like the latter, which pisses me off. I thought they were going to remain and the hotel project would be wrapping around.