Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Proffitt Dixon has bought the piece of land at 7th and 277 behind the M-Street townhomes.
This was planned to be self storage a few years back, but now I'm assuming apartments.

It’s still showing as 7th Street Self Storage in Accela as a project with a status of In progress as of 1/3/2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Proffitt Dixon has bought the piece of land at 7th and 277 behind the M-Street townhomes.

This was planned to be self storage a few years back, but now I'm assuming apartments.

1 minute ago, AP3 said:

It’s still showing as 7th Street Self Storage in Accela as a project with a status of In progress as of 1/3/2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting parcel... either way it'll be cool to see developed. Hopefully it's not storage unless they have commercial space on the bottom (which seems impossible).

• Like 2

Looks like the new owners of BB&T Center are marketing ground level retail space with possible patio on College and 4th it seems.  Plus they are marketing the old McDonalds space too. http://images4.loopnet.com/d2/BDJq-6pvTLGihmNBgx1Z2iEACBpoh3CbIBhonnbtaUI/document.pdf

http://images1.loopnet.com/d2/H10GMFlH3JUnn2_7OpE2TatCZFgQiIpUR5yQLR7u9P8/document.pdf   Some reconfiguration of the Overstreet Mall walkway through the garage it looks like. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Looks like the new owners of BB&T Center are marketing ground level retail space with possible patio on College and 4th it seems.  Plus they are marketing the old McDonalds space too. http://images4.loopnet.com/d2/BDJq-6pvTLGihmNBgx1Z2iEACBpoh3CbIBhonnbtaUI/document.pdf

http://images1.loopnet.com/d2/H10GMFlH3JUnn2_7OpE2TatCZFgQiIpUR5yQLR7u9P8/document.pdf   Some reconfiguration of the Overstreet Mall walkway through the garage it looks like. 

I'd love to see them plug in the empty gash on the Overstreet Mall. I tell my out-of-town friends, "Here's where they ran out of ideas."

• Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 12:32 AM, EllAyyDub said:

Saw some people in the McDs on Tuesday. Presumably the leasing team so seems they have interest.  My vote is Jersey Mike’s after they got pushed from their former space.

My vote is FedEx. Move them off of Tryon St and open that space up for something else.

• Like 3

That is awful for so many reasons.  Mainly I hadn't even realized that greenspace was not part of the 277 right of way. 

Storage is somewhat good for urban residents but also is somewhat of a trigger for people to flee to suburbanize if they can't have all their stuff at home.  

22 minutes ago, dubone said:

That is awful for so many reasons.  Mainly I hadn't even realized that greenspace was not part of the 277 right of way. 

Storage is somewhat good for urban residents but also is somewhat of a trigger for people to flee to suburbanize if they can't have all their stuff at home.  

If I am looking at the same site I think it's a reach to call that greenspace.  It's not like it would be enjoyable at all to spend time there.  I actually think these types of poor lots are the perfect location for low use storage facilities like this.   Much better than say the public storage facing N. Tryon at  1001 N Tryon St, Charlotte, NC 28206.  

I don't agree at all on your view that storage is a trigger for people to flee urban areas.  I have lived in spaces smaller than >450 s/f,  enjoyed every minute of it and never thought the lack of storage was a reason to move.  That said, I did need to find a place for seasonal items to rotate in and out of the studio.    These are not just good but an absolute necessity.   Besides, providing options for people to live in smaller places allows more units per building and, in turn, puts more people in urban areas. 

• Like 3

Space that is green is best summed up as 'greenspace'.   Mainly I had viewed it for a long time as a more viable path to fill in the gap of the Little Sugar Creek Greenway.   It is new news, though, that the path the city has chosen, absent a more interesting bridge connector, is to follow Central and then connect down along 277/74 entrance ramp.   However the western path is wider and would have had more room for landscaping and other features.   Regardless, it is not the path the city picked, and I can see now that is likely partly because the parcel is not public land.  

I'm glad that the storage is a natural pair to urban, more condensed living, but so is a grassy space to walk through to pee the dog.     

But it is clearly happening regardless.   On the plus side, it is a use that will block some traffic noise. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dubone said:

Space that is green is best summed up as 'greenspace'.   Mainly I had viewed it for a long time as a more viable path to fill in the gap of the Little Sugar Creek Greenway.   It is new news, though, that the path the city has chosen, absent a more interesting bridge connector, is to follow Central and then connect down along 277/74 entrance ramp.   However the western path is wider and would have had more room for landscaping and other features.   Regardless, it is not the path the city picked, and I can see now that is likely partly because the parcel is not public land.  

I'm glad that the storage is a natural pair to urban, more condensed living, but so is a grassy space to walk through to pee the dog.     

But it is clearly happening regardless.   On the plus side, it is a use that will block some traffic noise. 

Agree if there was a plan to a greenway path that would change my opinion but, for me personally, overgrown shrubs that are green ≠ greenspace.   In many cities these spaces typically become homeless encampments, sadly.  

Great point on the blocking of traffic noise.  

• Like 1

Wonder how ugly it will be? That's my favorite view of the skyline (the Brookshire/Belk split), hope they don't eff it up.

I didn’t think about it until now, but does this mean this will be in the direct site line of the proposed pedestrian bridge with scenic overlook?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

I didn’t think about it until now, but does this mean this will be in the direct site line of the proposed pedestrian bridge with scenic overlook?

I think a lot about the future use of parcels. What can be converted, what can be re-used, what would be torn down DECADES in the future.
Is it fair to say most single-use urban storage products in would be the most likely to be razed and re-developed as real estate becomes increasingly scarce? (Again, I'm talking 25-50 years, or more)? I would think as housing became in even higher demand, the change in use would be warranted.

3 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Maybe this should go in the Coffee House, but since they were part of the renaissance of uptown in the 90s, I'm putting it here. http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/February-2018/Reids-Fine-Foods-Announces-Uptown-Location/

Can you expound on their role in the 90s era? I'm unfamiliar.

• Like 1