Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

8 hours ago, Finkle said:

The lot between the Hilton and the old AT&T building  was supposed to be for the second hotel room tower for the Hilton. The master plan for for 1 First Union ( now 1 Wells fargo ) included that plus more meeting room space, they already expanded  over the rail tracks that was not part of the original complex.

There is a REALLY nice model of the First Union / Hilton site in the Atrium, under the stairs over by the bathrooms. I’ll try to get some pics next time I’m down there. I’m wondering if it has some of what you’re describing (if it was built during the planning phase).

9 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Is there a thread for Mosaic?  I didn't see it, so here are a few drive-by pics from Mosaic this morning...

I thought it was called the Montage. No, but people have been posting pics of it in the Northwood Ravin 550 Stonewall thread since they’re rising concurrently and adjacently.

3 minutes ago, kermit said:

^wow!

I guess this sorta suggests that First Pres has a new location — anybody heard anything about that? Their relocation is likely to trigger as much gentrification as a new brewery.

I doubt they'll ever move....which is fine by me. Nice looking church. Hopefully, they wised up and are doing what the Methodists on N.Tryon did:  sell/lease the land and maintain a parking deck underground for the church members.

I doubt the First Presbyterian Church will move either. However this parking lot they own could be developed just like 525 N Tryon tower on 1st Methodist church land  was with parking spots dedicated to members on Sundays and during evenings and other events.  It makes sense to develop this lot with the parking dedicated to the church.  I believe this will happen on the First Baptist Church on South Caldwell eventually as well.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I doubt the First Presbyterian Church will move either. However this parking lot they own could be developed just like 525 N Tryon tower on 1st Methodist church land  was with parking spots dedicated to members on Sundays and during evenings and other events.  It makes sense to develop this lot with the parking dedicated to the church.  I believe this will happen on the First Baptist Church on South Caldwell eventually as well.  

Isn't it a historic building anyway? Or does it just look old? Regardless, I think it's a beautiful building, I think that if a building has some degree of beauty or historical significance, the issue of density can be forgiven. On the note of the parking deck though, are you suggesting they would attempt to build a deck under the church? Or dedicate spots in whatever building ends up on the site? Assuming it's office I could see there being space on the weekend. 

Yes it is historical and here is the brief history of the church.   http://www.firstpres-charlotte.org/about/   They purchased the parking lot block in 1984 a very different time in uptown (and the West Trade corridor was not the best street in town)    In terms of the block they own with surface parking I am saying they would, if they was developed, retain parking rights for their members and guests to park during services and other meetings on that block currently used a surface parking lot.  First Methodist Church did this for 525 North Tryon tower, they owned the land, sold it for development but with parking rights during certain times. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, Scribe said:

Some renderings of the First Citizens Bank Plaza upgrades are on the Agenda today... https://www.charlotteagenda.com/108421/first-citizens-bank-plaza-getting-facelift-includes-7000-square-feet-retail-space/

I'm working this week, and they have been non-stop jackhammering out the old First Citizens "archway" entrance just below our building. MERRY CHRISTMAS. 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The Uptown McDonalds has closed in the BB&T Center.  A guard there told me it closed because of homeless going up there. I surely hope that is not the reason their lease was not renewed.  This McDonalds on the 3rd floor of the Overstreet Mall has been there 20 plus years.  Did an occasional homeless person go there maybe but so did 1000s and 1000s of office workers uptown?   As a McDonalds alumni. I hope they find a new home somewhere uptown and with vacant retail space on the ground floor of some of these buildings and garages hopefully they will.   Not everyplace uptown needs to be a white tablecloth restaurant or a $10 sandwich place.  

Not gonna lie. I want another Mc D’s so bad uptown. I need a little Egg McMuffin every now and then 

• Like 3

^^ Maybe I have had seen  someone on  Saturday but really hope that is not the reason either.  Every shop up there is closed tighter than a tick on a Saturday.   I just think it is bad for uptown and hope another one pops up but the next one may not be so hidden could be right on the street.     This building has been through an ownership change and this is probably driving this.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dale said:

Hopefully it will fill quickly. That's a notable gap for now. I always take out-of-towners to the Overstreet Mall. Not because it's the summon bonum  of urbanism, but because it's pretty neat nonetheless.

The overstreetmall has so much potiential it hurts my heart to see it. The only real thing people use it for is for the workers looking for cheap fast food on their breaks.