Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

8 minutes ago, kermit said:

Honestly McDonalds would work well in the epicenter.

This is going to sound terrible. Do you think epicenter owners would allow it due to the proximity of CTC?  Haven’t several tenants claimed to have failed because of CTC riff raff?

i would like Mc D at epicenter 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Yeah, that term pops up every now and then. If that sort of stuff interests you (it absolutely fascinates me) look up Orlampa. A nearly identical situation stretching from St. Petersburg to Daytona Beach. Crazy to think that in my lifetime we are witnessing not one but two megalopolises (megalopoli?) that will end up being comparable to what the I95 corridor in the northeast is today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

This is going to sound terrible. Do you think epicenter owners would allow it due to the proximity of CTC?  Haven’t several tenants claimed to have failed because of CTC riff raff?

i would like Mc D at epicenter 

Ugh, they need to move that bus terminal. Terrible location.

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

^^ Maybe I have had seen  someone on  Saturday but really hope that is not the reason either.  Every shop up there is closed tighter than a tick on a Saturday.   I just think it is bad for uptown and hope another one pops up but the next one may not be so hidden could be right on the street.     This building has been through an ownership change and this is probably driving this.  

I think it is ridiculous if that is the reason it closed. The location was always busy with office workers, and yeah, a few riffraffy people. However, they never seemed to cause any issue, they were just taking their quarters to get a McChicken or something. Sometimes for lunch I just want something quick and cheap, and McDonalds/Chick-fil-a are the go-to's for that. Charlotte is a growing city, and if places are just going to close up shop because of 'homeless people' then we have a pretty big problem. Honestly, we need some more fast food chains if Uptown is going to become a 24/7 livable area. Even wealthy bankers just want Taco Bell sometimes. Every large city has the entire spectrum of restaurants, pushing out the budget options isn't good for anyone or Uptown as a whole.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

Yeah, that term pops up every now and then. If that sort of stuff interests you (it absolutely fascinates me) look up Orlampa. A nearly identical situation stretching from St. Petersburg to Daytona Beach. Crazy to think that in my lifetime we are witnessing not one but two megalopolises (megalopoli?) that will end up being comparable to what the I95 corridor in the northeast is today.

I've lived in Florida for a long time and witnessed the South Florida Megalopolis come to life. I am anxious to see what Happens in Charlanta. 

8 minutes ago, DMann said:

By 2060, Orlampa will be sinking into the Gulf of Mexico.

Hope this is a Joke. The eastern and western coasts of Florida will be submerged, Not Orlando area yet. The central Florida area is the highest area of Florida and will not be submerged for quite a bit.

4 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

Yes but St. Petersburg is part of the Tampa metro and Daytona is part of its own metro but pretty much abuts the Orlando metro today. It is just a more pleasant sounding name than Saintona.

Daytona Beach is not part of the Orlando metro. This is coming from someone who drives I-4 frequently. Daytona Beach is not really even that large of a city, More touristy. 

I didn't say that. I said Daytona was a part of its own metro (Deltona-Daytona-and Ormond Beach to be exact) and that it is pretty much touching the boundaries of Orlando-Orange County metro. And this is coming from someone who spent the first 28 years of his life living in Orlando.

This all needs to go to another thread though. 

There could easily be 40-50 million people living in Atlanta through Raleigh by 2060. Especially if you include some other close cities like Columbia, Chattanooga, Augusta, and Asheville. They will NEVER be one contiguous metro though. Not in our lifetimes. It won't be like the washington-boston corridor. Very different in so many ways.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stiluvclt said:

Just curious. Does anyone have any info about whether this giant Duke Energy $14 bil. infrastructure modernization will include some more utility undergrounding? I can just picture how much nicer South End would look without the overhead cables. Just hoping.

In my opinion it adds some character. I see you're in St. Petersburg and I know that Florida has most if not all of it's power lines underground. I like them in most areas.