Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I love Sabor!  A bit surprised they would take a space that large.  All the ones I go to are very small.   I know they are different concepts, but it will be interesting to see if it impacts Cantina a block away.

Measuring the roof top indicates roughly 3500 SQFT, so not too big. I’m excited they are expanding into uptown!

Never mind - just read the article in CBJ - 5000 sqft. Whoops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I think they are a great fit for the area! They are going to make a killing! :)

Eep... expanding much?

They just had a huge fiasco, for which they issued a length apology on Nextdoor.com, where they explained recent bad food quality at several locations (blamed on bad training practices for new store managers/staff) and asked for forgiveness.

I love Sabor, and love having a local chain rather than national, but I hope they have their stuff together.

• Like 1

Here is some kind of bizarre news if you ask me, but the United Way building is changing hands.  United Way will continue renting there for up to 3 years, and the buyer doesn't plan to use the land for development initially.  Instead, Linden Thomas and Co. will occupy the building after it is rehabbed.  Maybe this amounts to land banking, but $10.5 M seems like an expensive short term solution for office space on this site.

Thoughts anyone?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/12/19/united-way-building-in-uptown-acquired-for-10-5m.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Here is some kind of bizarre news if you ask me, but the United Way building is changing hands.  United Way will continue renting there for up to 3 years, and the buyer doesn't plan to use the land for development initially.  Instead, Linden Thomas and Co. will occupy the building after it is rehabbed.  Maybe this amounts to land banking, but $10.5 M seems like an expensive short term solution for office space on this site.

Thoughts anyone?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/12/19/united-way-building-in-uptown-acquired-for-10-5m.html

thoughts: flabbergasted. 

This is the kind of money Childress Klein, Goldman Sachs, and Crescent paid for their latest land purchases, to build very big buildings. I think they will sit on this for 5 years and sell for $25M

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think they will sit on this for 5 years and sell for $25M

I agree with you, in the CO article (i posted under Good News) they say they will renovate and move in. But it will be a 50 yr old building in ~1 year. And it is a full half a block of prime real estate.

I don't think they will even move in... They might have an offer on the lot before United Way is out the door (in 3 years).

The Embassy Suites on the other half (and Hyatt Place across the street)  allows this parcel to focus on office space.

22 minutes ago, jwntim said:

Does anyone know where Reid's new uptown location will be? They have confirmed they are opening an uptown store and I heard they are targeting an early to mid 2018 opening. Haven't heard which building they are going to though, 

I heard that too and followed up with Reid's corporate people, either they were being coy, or the mid 2018 date isn't true. They are definitely opening uptown, I just don't know where they could occupy in 2018

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I heard that too and followed up with Reid's corporate people, either they were being coy, or the mid 2018 date isn't true. They are definitely opening uptown, I just don't know where they could occupy in 2018

That was my reading of the situation as well.  

8 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Nothing has been announced yet

I know

15 hours ago, Seabrooke said:

200 S. Tryon will be undergoing extensive renovations starting next summer. From what I’ve heard through the grape vine the building will be repainted, the ground floor lobby will be redesigned, and rumors of the 5th floor roof being turned into a rooftop terrace (not sure if it will include restaurant or just an area for tenants to eat lunch). 

Good to hear. That building's ground floor is unremarkable.

32 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This seems to be a good plot for a hotel or apartment tower but probably hotel.  Who owns this parcel on the Charlotte Plaza block?  

And does Childress Klein own this parcel next to 300 South Brevard across from the convention center?  another good hotel site. 

It appears both lots you are referring to are owned by the North Carolina Railroad Co.  Interestingly, the second lot has c/o general manger Westin Hotel, which is interesting.  With GIS not quite back to 100%, its harder to cipher. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

About the United Way building being sold the new owner said this:  ""We love old architecture. (The United Way building) is in a great location but it's also a really neat building to be rehabbed."

and he is talking about this building?  Old architecture?

LOL, to me, this is just a PC way to say: "we will see what will happen in a few years."

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 4

The lot between the Hilton and the old AT&T building  was supposed to be for the second hotel room tower for the Hilton. The master plan for for 1 First Union ( now 1 Wells fargo ) included that plus more meeting room space, they already expanded  over the rail tracks that was not part of the original complex.