Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I don't intend to offend anyone by this, but the Encore is really looking drab and shabby. That industrial (chic) exposed concrete exterior is quickly becoming passe (IMHO).  It will be a benefit to have it shielded by SoBro and Bridgestone.  While I appreciate that it was a bit of a pioneer at its location, I think it was a "miss" when it comes to the architecture. 

I think it won't be such a sore thumb once it's surrounded by other buildings. Standing out there by its lonesome was a bit awkward, but we have it to thank for opening the door for sobro development.

4 hours ago, chris holman said:

IMG_20151213_075707-01.jpeg

IMG_20151213_074652.jpg

Great pics.     From a pedestrian perspective, this intersection of 11th/12th in the Gulch may be the most "urban" streetscape in Nashville now.   I love the feel of the area and the street activation.   The Thompson will explode the area when it opens next year.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I don't intend to offend anyone by this, but the Encore is really looking drab and shabby. That industrial (chic) exposed concrete exterior is quickly becoming passe (IMHO).  It will be a benefit to have it shielded by SoBro and Bridgestone.  While I appreciate that it was a bit of a pioneer at its location, I think it was a "miss" when it comes to the architecture. 

No offense taken, but I like that look.  I don't want Nashville to look too spic and span.  Right now some parts of town (the gulch for example) have way too much new stuff for my taste although there is a nice mix of older buildings here and there.  And the juxtaposition of the reflective glass with the concrete makes for an interesting contrast of textures and of refinement vs. brutality.

Also the dark, contrasty style of these photos brings out the stained texture (which is nice). 

Related peeve:  where most traditional views of garden design emphasize creating a space that looks old and established (think of the years of moss growth in Japanese gardens for example, or the plants poking out of cracks in the walls of English ones), most landscapers nowadays aspire to create something that looks like the plants were just pulled off a truck and stuck in holes yesterday, and will never look any better because they are all slow-growing dwarf shrubs, clumping grass and columnar trees.  Obviously we like to do things on the cheap nowadays, but I just feel like people have lost all discernment when it comes to landscape.

4 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I think it won't be such a sore thumb once it's surrounded by other buildings. Standing out there by its lonesome was a bit awkward, but we have it to thank for opening the door for sobro development.

I tend to agree with MLBrumby on this one, provisionally.  I haven't been that close to the Encore lately to have particularly noticed any issue with the external appearance, so it really might not strike me as it has with him.  But many exposed erected concrete surfaces do not weather gracefully, largely due to the architectural design and inclusion of copings and other horizontal surfaces from which rain and and melting snow and ice tend to attract grime-laden residues which drip and dry without complete "washing" away of these solutes, often accumulating as deposited streaks, rendering the vertical surfaces with a run-down, aged appearance.  This often is highly noticeable on the elevations of terraced structures, such as vertical surfaces near the outer edges of solid cantilevered porches/patio-decks.

These structures don't necessarily have to appear as such, if the choices of applied mortar and sealants can be selected to minimize the stark contrast in hue of the streaked surfaces, basically delaying imminent discoloration.
-==-

Eyes on the road, Chris! You don't want that big mean 18 wheeler in your rearview to sneak up on you!

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

Great pics.     From a pedestrian perspective, this intersection of 11th/12th in the Gulch may be the most "urban" streetscape in Nashville now.   I love the feel of the area and the street activation.   The Thompson will explode the area when it opens next year.    

I'll still go with 4th and Church being the most urban....but I do like what they're doing in the Gulch.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chris holman said:

IMG_20151213_151800.jpg

IMG_20151213_151804.jpg

IMG_20151213_151808.jpg

IMG_20151213_151812.jpg

Although I appreciate it architecturally, I have never been a huge fan of the Snodgrass Tennessee Tower (American General Tower). But, lately, driving the kid home from school on the west side as the winter sun sets, I've actually found the old tower looking graceful, and even pretty, as it reflects the sun with a warm, golden  shade.

• Like 2

Broadstone complex looking south on Third Avenue.

Broadstone looking south on 3rd Ave. from Monroe, Dec.jpg

Broadstone complex looking north on Third Avenue near corner of Jefferson Street.

Broadstone of Germantonwn from Jefferson St. &3rd, Dec.jpg

Pollack Shores complex from Porter and 13th looking northeastward.

Pollack Shores comlex from Porter St. and 13th b, Dec.jpg

Pollack Shores complex at Porter and 13th looking northwestward.

Pollack Shores complex, from Porter & 13th a, Dec.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Cadence from corner of 16th and Broadway looking northeast.

Cadence, Dec.jpg

I think Cadence was on the drawing board before Skyhouse.   Skyhouse will be oriented with its "front door" on 16th and it's unfortunate that Cadence, directly across the street, will sort of back up to 16th (photo above).   There will be a couple of doors to the Cadence garage on 16th, but otherwise it's dead space.   I wish these two could have synced better.     

• Like 1

Stix is coming along.  18 erected, 12 more to go.  Will be very curious to see how this is lit in the evenings.  

Stix sculpture Dec.JPG

The Element from Rose Park on the south side near 12th Avenue. In about five years, the density of Midtown is going to look terrific from this vantage point. 
Element from Rose Park, Dec.jpg

The Element heading west on Division Street.  All of these damned wires shall drive me insane. 
Element from Division St. Dec.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

StiX is coming along.  18 erected, 12 more to go.  Will be very curious to see how this is lit in the evenings. 

Stix sculpture Dec.JPG

None of us knows about this yet, but there's a crew of pole scalers teaming up as we speak, to an plan illegal, surprise climbing stunt on each of those poles, all at once.  They'll be video'd in action and photographed for a publicity portrait.  Oh yes, they'll have the book thrown at them, for defacing property (with equipment),  trespassing, and whatnot, but it will happen ─ mock my words. -==-

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Would be great if each of these poles was rigged with LED lights the same color as the paint to light up at night.  Now THAT would be a nice sight to see.

Agreed.  Initially, I thought that's what it was going to be like.  To discover that it's just lit by spotlights beneath it like a flag outside an elementary school is pretty disappointing. 

• Like 3

Continued razing of United Methodist Publishing site to prep for JW Marriott. That long shadow coming from the right is the 2/3 completed height of the Westin. 

JW Marriott excavation, Dec.jpg

The "backside" of the Westin Hotel looking southeastward from Clark St. near Ninth Avenue South:

Westin, Dec.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:
1 hour ago, SoundScan said:

I expect Stix to look acceptable for about 5 years, after that (assuming a lack of ongoing maintenance) as the paint fades and weathers and the poles begin to sag it will probably become an eyesore, regardless of it's artistic bona fides.

Literally everything about it is disappointing.

I know I'm a broken record, but even with the additional sticks it looks like a jumbled mess of large chop sticks.

That's the thing I'm puzzled by the most.  These are untreated wooden poles that are obviously susceptible to warping and weathering and fading by being exposed to the elements like this.  I'm not sure metro really thought this one through all the way.

• Like 1

The taxpayers of Metro should be supremely pissed about Stix, for any number of reasons, ranging from aesthetics to long term maintenance requirements brought by an exposed wooden structure. I mean, a few squeaky gears got so much attention on the AMP, but there is resounding silence on this. Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist, but I still am convinced that the "artist" put the Native American spin on it to deflect criticism. 

• Like 1