Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

That's the thing I'm puzzled by the most.  These are untreated wooden poles that are obviously susceptible to warping and weathering and fading by being exposed to the elements like this.  I'm not sure metro really thought this one through all the way.

It's art though

In all seriousness, I personally cannot stand this thing. The theory of art in this location is nice...I don't consider this art though. I don't personally find anything overly appeasing to this. Of all of the history that Middle Tennessee boasts, surely there wasn't some existing piece that could have used a new home. 

Metro could have forced some developers to bury power lines, done some recycling AND installed art. That would be three birds with one stone. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ruraljuror said:

Man, everyone's a critic, eh?  I like stix.  Think it's turning out great so far.  We'll see what it looks like at night/when it's actually completed, but I'm encouraged so far.

Unlike some, I actually like the concept.  I just think the execution is flawed. 

• Like 1

What is and isn't art is highly subjective. What I call paint splashed on a canvas, others call art. That being said, I don't like Stix at all, I think it's dumb, but I don't really have the right to say "take it down" or anything like that. I do like the other roundabout statue though, it's very beautiful; but there's probably people who think it's inappropriate due to the nudity, and they can go fly a kite.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Philip said:

What is and isn't art is highly subjective. What I call paint splashed on a canvas, others call art. That being said, I don't like Stix at all, I think it's dumb, but I don't really have the right to say "take it down" or anything like that. I do like the other roundabout statue though, it's very beautiful; but there's probably people who think it's inappropriate due to the nudity, and they can go fly a kite.

Similar feelings here... Musica got a lot of flak because of the nudity and whimsical nature of the piece when it was erected. But it's big, and has hints of classicism, and is easily appreciable by the masses. Stix looks like it should be in the front courtyard of some corporate headquarters or something.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Philip said:

As far as Stix is concerned. don't worry.  It rarely fails with some smaller rotaries and roundabouts.  Sooner or later some drunk pick-up truck will become errant and plow into the array and knock one of 'em down, in turn causing collateral damage to one or more other poles.  My biggest concern has already been stated by someone else  –  that the untreated poles (if indeed they are not) will deteriorate prematurely and look like crap on a stick (in plural).  In addition, the anchoring of each pole in a canted position (understandably done for effect) might result in the "fishing-pole" effect of the poles, in time, becoming deformed and sagging from fatigue, with their being as long (tall) as they are.

We have to just accept it as it is and move on.  They certainly will not change it on our account.
-==-

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, rookzie said:

.....  Sooner or later some drunk pick-up truck will become errant and plow into the array and knock one of 'em down, in turn causing collateral damage to one or more other poles. 

If that happens, I just hope he/she doesn't leave a 7 - 10 split. Picking up the spare would be extremely difficult.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

I was in a bus full of out of town conference attendees a few weeks ago when we drove around Stix, still under construction.  They loved it, as do I. I think the masses are a little more open to innovation than we give them credit for.

Oh, I think Stix is attractive and interesting ─ very much a rubber-necker ─ make no mistake.  But you know, unlike you and me, many if not most of the masses are not quite that analytical in assessing things as this.  They often view such things superficially, without assessing a more inclusive picture, and understandably couldn't care less about scrupulous details and what-ifs.  To me personally, the assymmetry and the color combos are quite snazzy, but it's the implementation that's worthy and deserving of questioning, just as with the pavers that once formed "Brick Church" street, DT version, (I believe) under the Fulton admin. and which eventually got yanked up.
-==-

6 hours ago, rookzie said:

Oh, I think Stix is attractive and interesting ─ very much a rubber-necker ─ make no mistake.  But you know, unlike you and me, many if not most of the masses are not quite that analytical in assessing things as this.  They often view such things superficially, without assessing a more inclusive picture, and understandably couldn't care less about scrupulous details and what-ifs.  To me personally, the assymmetry and the color combos are quite snazzy, but it's the implementation that's worthy and deserving of questioning, just as with the pavers that once formed "Brick Church" street, DT version, (I believe) under the Fulton admin. and which eventually got yanked up.
-==-

But the questions of implementation (other than those regarding the delayed timeline) appear to be mainly baseless speculation.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2015 at 8:08 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Agreed.  Initially, I thought that's what it was going to be like.  To discover that it's just lit by spotlights beneath it like a flag outside an elementary school is pretty disappointing. 

Well, it does look like some kind of lighting at the tip of each pole.

From an article in the Tennessean:

Painted a combination of red, orange, light blue and light green colors, the sticks, 21 inches in diameter, will interface with the ground at different angles. Each will emit a light glow at night thanks to LED lighting at the tip of each pole, which will all be UV ray-protected.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

But the questions of implementation (other than those regarding the delayed timeline) appear to be mainly baseless speculation.

You’re correct, it’s all speculation – nearly all we discuss in this forum on the started but unfinished (and even the unstarted) is speculation at best, except word from those who have authoritative reference sources otherwise.  In truth I hope that you are correct also about speculation being baseless, as I would want StiX to become and to remain an enduring asset of this region, not just a "Sunday hat" to be observed and appreciated once in a while.  I’m hopeful that this artwork will look good and great for generations to come, as any external artifact (exposed to atmospheric elements) should be enduring and not be in need of replacement every 30 years – not even 60 years or 80 years.  Admittingly, I have to say that no one whom I have met has had a chance to witness this contrivance of concept before now – at least no one has expressed such – and I hope that instincts are proven unfounded.

In the end, I hope it all works out without a snag without any misgivings and that permanence will not become second-guessed as the urban core continues to densify.
-=:)=-

Edited by rookzie

16 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Chris...what type of lens or setting gives a photo that "toy land" look?  I love that.  I've noticed a commercial for a couple of years promoting tourism in Chattanooga uses that "look" in their video footage...and it's really charming.

Chris is definitely more qualified than I am to answer this, so please Chris, correct me if I'm wrong (especially since the question was directed at you lol), but I believe I've heard in the past that that effect can be created with a fisheye lens.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Chris is definitely more qualified than I am to answer this, so please Chris, correct me if I'm wrong (especially since the question was directed at you lol), but I believe I've heard in the past that that effect can be created with a fisheye lens.

It's called tilt shift. There are lenses that can do it, but most do it while editing. It's cool when done correctly, awkward (to my eyes) in other cases. Some of Lexy's airborn shots would be awesome tilt-shifted. Good example:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

It's called tilt shift. There are lenses that can do it, but most do it while editing. It's cool when done correctly, awkward (to my eyes) in other cases. Some of Lexy's airborn shots would be awesome tilt-shifted. Good example:

I LOVE that shot!  I wish someone would do a full Nashville tilt-shift collection.