Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Is the pedestrian bridge really called the Seigenthaler Bridge? If so, wow, I never knew that. I think I will continue to call it the Pedestrian Bridge or Shelby Street Bridge. 

6 hours ago, Philip said:

In a couple of years this same view will be quite smashing if you don't mind me saying gendarmes.

Good thing you have a good view of downtown. It probably makes the football games more tolerable since the product on the field is awful. 

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PHofKS said:

Lots of eye candy here....NFL Stadium (we take it for granted now, but think about what it means to have even a bad team in our city), commuter rail, a rising skyline, the City is a major auto center, top flight City park system along an incredible river, bold public art and one of the finest pedestrian bridges anywhere, ...

I should see the SoBro nearly complete next season and see the Bridgestone rising behind it.

DT%20from%20Nissan_zpsnptop9ii.jpg

Beautiful shot. It's gonna be like walking straight in to a canyon of high rises from the pedestrian bridge in the near future. Looks very crowded already from that angle.

• Like 2

You should be employed by Boyle.  Where should they go next?  Thanks for posting those pics.

Showing that shot of the Farmers' Market, it occurs to me that there is currently no real connectivity between the North Gulch and Germantown. I realize there is a greenway (partially?) through the Bicentennial Mall... but I don't know what the plans are for eventual build-out.  Anyone know?  Also, didn't I see a mention (William?) that the contractor for the first apartment building in Capitol View has pulled the permit just a few days ago? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, markhollin said:

A couple years ago I was scouting this site, thinking it had great potential to become a northern extension of The Gulch. I didn't think "Northern Gulch" sounded very cool.  I mentioned to several friends that I thought "Capitol View" had a good ring to it.  Little did I know that several months later that is what it would actually become...

Capitol View, Dec.jpg

Interesting massing around the Captiol building.  Shot from the parking lot at Farmers Market looking southward.

Massing around Capitol from Farmers' Market lot, Dec.jpg

Was just in this area yesterday at Centennial and the farmers market. I wanted to take some pics, but I had my three kids with me who are 9, 8 and 2. What a beautiful view looking toward downtown from that area.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

You should be employed by Boyle.  Where should they go next?  Thanks for posting those pics.

Showing that shot of the Farmers' Market, it occurs to me that there is currently no real connectivity between the North Gulch and Germantown. I realize there is a greenway (partially?) through the Bicentennial Mall... but I don't know what the plans are for eventual build-out.  Anyone know?  Also, didn't I see a mention (William?) that the contractor for the first apartment building in Capitol View has pulled the permit just a few days ago? 

The street connectors between Capitol View and Bicentennial Mall/Germantown are thru the RR underpasses for Jo Johnston, Gay, and Pearl Streets that all run eastward and dead-end into 10th Circle North, which then feeds into Rosa Parks Blvd. You can also take 10th Ave. North on the other side of the tracks up into Historic Buena Vista and then head into Germantown from there.  These are all rarely used currently, but I'm sure will become much more popular in the next few years.    

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The street connectors between Capitol View and Bicentennial Mall/Germantown are thru the RR underpasses for Jo Johnston, Gay, and Pearl Streets that all run eastward and dead-end into 10th Circle North, which then feeds into Rosa Parks Blvd. You can also take 10th Ave. North on the other side of the tracks up into Historic Buena Vista and then head into Germantown from there.  These are all rarely used currently, but I'm sure will become much more popular in the next few years.    

None of which are especially pedestrian-friendly, unfortunately. A shame, really.

But hopefully the state's parking wasteland inside 10th Cr. will be filled in someday soon and provide some much-needed continuity.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

None of which are especially pedestrian-friendly, unfortunately. A shame, really.

But hopefully the state's parking wasteland inside 10th Cr. will be filled in someday soon and provide some much-needed continuity.

29 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

Those high brick archways at each underpass (Jo Johnston, Gay, and Pearl) could have some neat potential for art, etc. Certainly they can be brightened up.  I think a digital projection display like this one from NYC could be cool.  Have also thought a presentation like this could be well for that huge red brick 10-stories tall and 2/3 of a block long slab along the west side of Second Ave. just south of Church Street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28OdGg22ZqM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

Boyle shows the Gay Street underpasses as exclusive to non-motorized traffic in the full Capitol View build-out. In fact, Gay Street goes away altogether.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/9/5/new_capitol_view_details_range_of_apartment_sizes_440_hotel_rooms

They do a lot to fix the various redundancies in the street grid in their concept plans, but the area around the state lots needs some TLC.

• Like 2