210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I wonder if Studio Movie Grill will be around much longer.... opening a new location in Prosperity Village might be a strategic shift to maintain a location in Charlotte after closing the Epicentre at some point. They often are running Groupon discounts. Midday business must be rough if they aren't keeping families and retirees (bread and butter for the mid week matinee business). I'm guessing this is the group they are losing based on the manager's comments in the article. 

Edited by CLT2014

On 1/6/2020 at 10:31 AM, CLT2014 said:

I wonder if Studio Movie Grill will be around much longer.... opening a new location in Prosperity Village might be a strategic shift to maintain a location in Charlotte after closing the Epicentre at some point. They often are running Groupon discounts. Midday business must be rough if they aren't keeping families and retirees (bread and butter for the mid week matinee business). I'm guessing this is the group they are losing based on the manager's comments in the article. 

I miss Mez/Kazba! Now that was a place to be!

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

"Afshin Ghazi developed it about 10 years ago, it was really sort of his brainchild. He lost control of it in 2012 after the recession. There were some financial issues, it took over other ownership."

Sure, I guess that's one way to put it.

What struck me was the part that he “doesn’t talk much publicly.”   He sure loved talking to every media outlet in (and out of) town back in the day.  He was in the paper and the Biz Journal every other week it seemed.  What a difference a decade makes. 

(photo credit: bizjournal)

4C53407B-7D58-40F6-9768-CEF0DF920AF7.jpeg

3 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

What struck me was the part that he “doesn’t talk much publicly.”   He sure loved talking to every media outlet in (and out of) town back in the day.  He was in the paper and the Biz Journal every other week it seemed.  What a difference a decade makes. 

(photo credit: bizjournal)

4C53407B-7D58-40F6-9768-CEF0DF920AF7.jpeg

Well he certainly wasn't spending much time putting together a good looking outfit. He looks like a low grade bank clerk.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

It'd be nice if they could knock down CTC and expand the epicenter area. Wish Westfield would build a mall uptown. Extremely unlikely but still. Fantasy of mine would be to knock down CTC, rename the Epicenter, and have a mix of retailers and places to eat.  I think Retail would do better here if it were a bigger complex. 

I assume the Legacy Union's Urban Mall concept by Simon never panned out to be true or just fell through if there were any rumors behind it. Right now, feel like it's gonna be Starbucks and Dry cleaning.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

The current layout of SMG makes no sense to me. All that unused space that used to be a restaurant/bar (which also made no sense to me when it opened as a movie theater/nightclub) makes it kinda creepy. Reconfigure the space and make it Charlotte's art house theater. 

The first time I went to SMG on a Friday night and had to go through the very crowded loud Mez... Disaster.

A theater at the epicenter is truly great, but that catacomb/labyrinthian vibe they've created... Disaster.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

1 hour ago, Miesian Corners said:

The current layout of SMG makes no sense to me. All that unused space that used to be a restaurant/bar (which also made no sense to me when it opened as a movie theater/nightclub) makes it kinda creepy. Reconfigure the space and make it Charlotte's art house theater. 

They’re trying to bring in more visitors, not keep them away. 

35 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

That is a rumor which has been around for a long time. I find it nearly impossible that Myers Park and Eastover residents let this happen. It is Charlotte, but I just don't see this happening.

With the zoning that's already in place (B-1), there's not much they could do about it. 

• Like 1

There’s a lot of retail potential there imo. Uptown lacks good shopping options. Something like Birkdale level of stores would probably do decent. A few name brands like banana republic, lucky brand, etc. mixed with some boutique places. I hate having to drive out of uptown to get jeans, Shirts and shoes. 

Also easy for everyone to get to by rail. 

Edited by Yeahdoug
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Yeahdoug said:

There’s a lot of retail potential there imo. Uptown lacks good shopping options. Something like Birkdale level of stores would probably do decent. A few name brands like banana republic, lucky brand, etc. mixed with some boutique places. I hate having to drive out of uptown to get jeans, Shirts and shoes. 

Also easy for everyone to get to by rail. 

Retail would be nice and convenient, both for Uptown and surrounding neighborhoods like South End.  Even an Uptown Barnes & Noble would be nice (yes, I still go quite a bit even though I ordre off Amazon as well).  Regardless of what gets built, I hope Epicenter and its establishments are re-designed to open up to the street quite a bit more.  Perhaps a large pedestrian Plaza or Square visible from a Main Street and then flanked by Retail and Restaurant options.

• Like 1