210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That place was purpose built for those types of tenants though. Likely had H&M in mind when they built the thing. Not to mention its on an incredibly popular beach. For any destination retail Epicenter would need a complete and total gut. 

Let’s call Jonathan Scott!

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

LOL, I did a project with him last year, he came in with 4 300x500 pixel pieces of "inspiration" that he found off google, gave it to some "nobody lowlife" (me) and then took literally all the credit. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lmPFNC6FBE

I am afraid that is what we call Hollywood...… and most of his shows are fake too. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The only redeeming quality EpiCentre has left is the pharmacy staff at CVS.

I remember seeing the old convention center coming down and EpiCentre being built in its place.  As a 20-something kid, I was super excited.  Now, I wish they’d tear the whole place down and start over.  However, I think the real problem is spillover from the transit center.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, tarhoosier said:

How soon will EpiCenter(re) be replaced with tower?

I posted this question in February in response to a discussion of general uptown redevelopment and not the crime issue which was not as top of mind as today. It started a discussion over two weeks or so about Epi. It is interesting to re-read those comments with the knowledge we have over the past few months. 

Also, Dandy Chiggens downvoted this singe sentence question four months later.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I posted this question in February in response to a discussion of general uptown redevelopment and not the crime issue which was not as top of mind as today. It started a discussion over two weeks or so about Epi. It is interesting to re-read those comments with the knowledge we have over the past few months. 

Also, Dandy Chiggens downvoted this singe sentence question four months later.

I really hope that they don't get rid of the epicentre. Some of my first memories of Charlotte are of being there with my family for a Saturday night. It has such a great potential. They should just significantly beef up security in the ways that were mentioned and if certain establishments are repeat offenders of having their patrons causing these horrible problems, then force them out and let someone else try their hand at that location.

Dandy isn't very dandy is he?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cltcane said:

The only redeeming quality EpiCentre has left is the pharmacy staff at CVS.

I remember seeing the old convention center coming down and EpiCentre being built in its place.  As a 20-something kid, I was super excited.  Now, I wish they’d tear the whole place down and start over.  However, I think the real problem is spillover from the transit center.

BINGO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Can’t agree more. Also a Charlotte native. Born in ‘92 at Presby hospital on Elizabeth who spent their entire like from birth to 25 spending almost all my time uptown, every festival, every event, every spot (from Frazier and Rays Splash Planet). 

it’s just so sad living in an era post the bulldoze of downtown, where I grew up lamenting and imagining what uptown was before it was only bank lobbies and spending my young lifetime convincing people we aren’t soulless and bland vanilla office workers and then this hysteria breaks out. It’s literally satirical Charlotte would want to tear the place down. Something a NYT smear article on the soulless ness of Charlotte would say.

(ps. Look up The NY Times article saying how soulless and bland Charlotte is) 

I agree, but to be fair, that article is almost 6 years old. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mad_park said:

That will do wonders for attracting clientele

45 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

TSA body scanners, pat-downs and voilà, safety for the eleven patrons.

Sounds like they’re already losing clientele what with the news reporting about how many killings and stabbings there have been this year alone. I’m guessing that’s not doing any favors for increasing the number of patrons. Plus multiple people in this thread alone have said they now refuse to go to the Epicenter due to all of the violence so what exactly have we got to lose by increasing security? 

Also, if any patron had a problem simply walking through a metal detector or being checked for weapons for their own safety, something is seriously wrong with them...and I doubt that’s the kind of clientele we want to be attracting anyway.

Edited by thenewkage95

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Are y'all really talking about the EpiCentre as some highlight of Charlotte architecture and culture? Like losing it would be some big loss and anything like the loss of actual historic buildings in this city? Come on. The EpiCentre was cool when it opened 10 years ago and it was the only place to go in Charlotte, and from day one it's slowly turned into a crumbling mess that's already outdated, redundant, and largely irrelevant. It's crappy architecture empty of any value, it's hard to navigate when you're inside it, and it would be better for the city's vibrancy if all the little restaurants and bars (and the CVS) in it were instead spread out over the street-front spaces in uptown. Nothing would be lost in tearing it down.

Couldn’t agree more.  The Epicenter was an awesome place between 2008-2013ish.  After that it became super ghetto and the tenants have become less and less appealing. Furthermore,   the architecture is horrible and is falling apart.  It’s interesting because I remember when it opened it started taking away business from the other nightlife venues (Forum, Republic, Sunset Club and others that don’t exist anymore).  Now the opposite.  I don’t even know if Alive After 5 is still going on there to be honest

Edited by Temeteron

25 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

Lol, If that's was the case, Bourbon St wouldn't exist!  Are y'all talking about the same Epicentre I frequent when in town?  I was just there two weeks ago, no problem.  Some of these perspectives align with what a lot of people in Raleigh/Cary think about downtown Durham.  Total exaggeration and culture fear, especially when it's not watered down lilly White.  So, it's a little rough around the edges, Good!  You don't have to go there, everything doesn't have to be watered down to the point of khaki-nation.    Charlotte has plenty of other options to hangout.  Back to the  other poster's point as to why that type of thought leadership historically gutted the city decades ago. I guess it' wash, rinse, repeat.

Shootings in the middle of the afternoon is “rough around the edges” and “good”? And to compare it to an iconic location like Bourbon Street is laughable. And yes concern over crime is a major issue in New Orleans. 

And lastly I lived in Chicago for 10 years, so I know how reputations are built. People think that city is a war zone (it’s not), but headlines like a CEO being gunned down in the middle of the afternoon ain’t good for the old reputation of Charlotte. 

Edited by Bruco72
  • Like 1

Sorry, but to the first time/unfamiliar visitor to Charlotte, the EpiCentre is still the place to go if you’re looking for Uptown nightlife. Saying it’s uncool or irrelevant simply isn’t true and any weekend crowd would agree regardless of how the building looks cosmetically or how many locals hear about the recent crimes on the news. 

Edited by TheOneRJ
  • Like 3